Med's Done....
12-08-2011
Passport Req..
28-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2012
LANDED..........
11-08-2012
bkuper, it's not much good saying people still waiting for their visas shouldn't post. This forum is for people who are still waiting for their visas. You have some important perspective on what happens next, what to expect, but you can't ask those of us still waiting not to post. And some people aren't going to be happy--you're the bearer of bad news, raining on our parade.

Back to your problem, you say returning to Australia is high on your list. That's too bad, you went through a lot to get where you are and it would suck to give it all up as a big waste of your time. If you haven't given up, you still have options, you just have to get creative.

Get your name out there--start a food blog, whether writing about your favorite dishes or cuisine, reviewing areas restaurants, whatever attracts you about food. Summer's coming, open a food stand at one of the waterfront festivals (I know they exist, though I don't know what they're called). Throw a dinner party (people love to be fed, especially by people who know what they're doing), talk to the restaurant association about your approach and find out what sort of support services or even just advice they have.

bkuper

Star Member
Jul 2, 2009
I agree that hard work and attitude count for a lot. The problem is that the average Canadian doesn't give a stuff about you and how hard you're prepared to work.

We have met people who are born here and they're struggling to get anywhere in their industry. My Canadian-born next door neighbour qualified last year but is struggling to find a job. She sends her resume everywhere and is in contact with as many people as she can find, but no luck. We have other friends who have also immigrated here in the last 6 months and are in tears because neither of them are getting anywhere and they're both well qualified with a desire to work hard and share their experience.

to "thebeast184", saying that we choose our destiny is a naive statement to make and has nothing to do with actual real world situations.

"tim maguire", I never said people shouldn't post - I said they shouldn't give advice to those of us who already live here and experience the downside of Canada every day. I appreciate the rest of your post, however and you make very relevant points, thank you.

shims

Apr 27, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey bkuper,
I can fully understand your sentiments, getting a job here is a hard task. you get jobs here only by reference and not by skills to start with ... I fully support your views I have been here from past 3 years and I see all this on daily basis as well.
nevertheless we have one life to live so live better where ever you get it Australia ,Canada or any other place.

People reading this post please do not get disheartened, just be prepared for this... this is the worst situation where no one want to be, if you have good jobs back home please do not simply resign and come here always keep a way to go back home.. try here in Canada for some time if you find it good stay here else go back.

pistachio

Star Member
Aug 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2010
AOR Received.
Nov-2010
VISA ISSUED...
I am sorry to hear that a person of your caliber and experience is not given an opportunity in Canada particularly when you belong to the NOC s sought for by the labor market!

Having said that, I would like to narrate a similar experience of one of my close buddy who immigrated to Australia (Sydney) couple of years back. She and her husband belonged to the IT industry and were doing pretty good here in India. The reason for struggle apparently was that, none of them had *local* (Australian) experience and hence nobody really bothered to look into their resume.

After burning money for couple of months and out of desperation they decided to call it quits. They came back to India. Well, her husband was promised a lucrative offer in a city in India (not where they were working earlier) by a *relative* who was ever so helping otherwise or at least seemed so (does that ring the bell? I guess you too had a similar experience). But to their utter dismay, the project was cancelled and they ended up as unemployed again.

This time they burnt the bridge and went back to Sydney. The struggle began afresh to get the coveted *local* job experience! :)

Did they succeed? *Yes*, they did. They have well paid satisfying job, own a house and really well settled. It took them 2 years since the time they first immigrated, to settle down.
We as a family were tempted too to apply for Aussie PR. But since there were sporadic incidents of racial attacks at that time, we abandoned the idea and now hoping to immigrate to Canada. I don't know what is there in store for us, or will our priorities change by the time we get a PR and would prefer to stay back in India instead.

I wanted to share the story of hardship of my buddy with you, as she faced the same thing in Australia that you are currently going through in Canada.

Just hang in there and I am sure you will make it! Good luck to you and God bless you and your family. :)

bkuper said:
Thank you all for your replies to my post.

For those who wanted to know why we left Australia, the reason is complex. We have more family here in Canada (Toronto specifically) than in Australia and we are in a different stage in our lives, being in our early 40's. We still love Australia very much and the decision was not easy. We also have a son who is growing up without much close family. Plus we like to travel, and Australia is really far from everything! There are other reasons which made up the final decision, but those are the main ones.

For those of you still waiting for your visas and dreaming of a better place, I think that it is going to be a hard reality check when you land here. Nobody gives a toss about your well-being at the end of the day. Even the family we have here have turned out to be a bitter disappointment. When we visited prior to moving last year everyone was all big talk about the things they we going to do for us and how they would help us. Well, the reality is that we've barely even heard from them and they have not given any thought to us as new immigrants. Again, they just come across as having their heads buried in the sand and occupied so totally with their own lives that we have just given up on having much to do with them. Other people may have different family experiences, but this seems to be typical of the average Canadian - very self absorbed and unwilling to go out of their comfort zone.

We didn't move here and expect to make a fortune. However, it would be nice to catch a small break and be given an opportunity to use 20 years of experience and get a decent job.

I'm in hospitality field as both an Executive Chef and Food and Beverage Director. What really annoys me is that chefs are on the eligible job list and they make a big deal about how they need qualified people like myself. Well, as I said earlier I have sent my resume to over 60 hotels and recruitment agencies and I'm still treading water.

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
There were no Racial attacks on Indians. Most of these were well chalked out plans by our own Indian community to get fat insurance claims. Being an Indian i can say india is far racist than Australia or Canada. In western countries there is difference between blacks and whites but in India we differentiate between our own colour.

Canada and Australia are both great countries. When it comes to education recognition, climate and money, Australia at this time for sure stands ahead. Australia has more responsive immigration system than Canada.

muscattocanada

Star Member
May 14, 2011
muscat
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
Mar 2010
AOR Received.
APR 2010... 2nd AOR Aug 2010
File Transfer...
july 2010
Med's Request
15th Feb 2012
Med's Done....
5th may 2012
Interview........
wavied
Passport Req..
Dec 18th 2012
VISA ISSUED...
feb 23rd 2013
Wrong decision 1 - Moved with ure whole family .... cud have come alone settled and after 1 year bought ure family

Wrong decision 2 - thought of getting a job without a canadian education and exp .... Do a 1 year program in ure field and check for job...

Worst decision - moved from Australia to Canada ... Other way round cud have been better...

can i know which is ure real native country

pistachio

Star Member
Aug 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2010
AOR Received.
Nov-2010
VISA ISSUED...
Harry,

The point that I was trying to make was about the hardship that new immigrants face and eventually come out of it and *not* to brand Aussie as racist country. I keep hearing about the greatness of that country from my friend who is happily settled there and there was not a single bad incident on any Asian community that she was acquainted with.

We had abandoned that idea of immigrating at the time when those incidents were reported (fabricated, whatever) on news paper. Also, the other reason we thought that there were not much opening for the kind of work that we were looking for at that time. Hence the decision.

One good thing among many others that I heard about Australia, is that they provide financial aid to new immigrants who have a dependent kid, and neither of the spouses have job. I don't know if such thing exists in Canada. I think this speaks a lot about the immigration friendliness of Australia. Again, I do not want to spark a row over which country is better, Canada or Australia. :)

Did we make a mistake at that time of not pursuing Australian immigration? Only time will tell. :)

Hope I made my point. :)

Good to know that I get the first -1 for my earlier post when I was really trying to say something positive about how people struggle and ultimately find a way out :)

harry_aussie said:
There were no Racial attacks on Indians. Most of these were well chalked out plans by our own Indian community to get fat insurance claims. Being an Indian i can say india is far racist than Australia or Canada. In western countries there is difference between blacks and whites but in India we differentiate between our own colour.

Canada and Australia are both great countries. When it comes to education recognition, climate and money, Australia at this time for sure stands ahead. Australia has more responsive immigration system than Canada.

sonir

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yes
I run one full unit with around 150 staff in India, believe me even if the resume is good we still look for referrals for the prospective employee. These days resumes are made by expert copied in nice looking format with lots of duties & responsibilities being handled by the person.

But are they really ?

When we do not hire some one in our own country so easily, how do we expect the same in other country where you are a new element !

Start from scratch show the polish which shines better.

I know lot of people those who did the magic :)

Plan & hard work is the only way !

sofiajohns12

Sep 27, 2011
Ontario
App. Filed.......
26-09-2007
Doc's Request.
26-06-2010
Med's Done....
27-11-2010 and 18-12-2011
Interview........
26-10-2011
Passport Req..
17-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-2012
Pistachio u r certainly trying to convey something very very positive.... pls do keep posting.. +1 for your recent post.

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Dear Pistachio

You said nothing wrong. You are perfectly alright. I respect your views.

Some people on this forum like giving negatives to othes. They think only they are saying right and others dont have the right to speak. Haha i got -16 and i am sure i will soon get one more. ;D ;D. Here is your +1 from me.

pistachio

Star Member
Aug 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2010
AOR Received.
Nov-2010
VISA ISSUED...
Thank you so much. You made my day. :)

Being in the IT field, I certainly agree to what Sonir said about reference. LinkedIn endorsement is one of them, I guess. :)

sofiajohns12 said:
Pistachio u r certainly trying to convey something very very positive.... pls do keep posting.. +1 for your recent post.

pistachio

Star Member
Aug 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2010
AOR Received.
Nov-2010
VISA ISSUED...
Thanks Harry. Reciprocated. :)

harry_aussie said:
Dear Pistachio

You said nothing wrong. You are perfectly alright. I respect your views.

Some people on this forum like giving negatives to othes. They think only they are saying right and others dont have the right to speak. Haha i got -16 and i am sure i will soon get one more. ;D ;D. Here is your +1 from me.

ayazf

Star Member
Dec 24, 2010
I think all that bkuper is doing is sharing his experience.Some may take it as a caution note and make themselves ready for the tough road ahead.While there may be others who will feel demotivated because all they want to hear is good things about their dream destination and just wanna turn away from any negativity, even if it is true.
Of course there is no denying that there may be several other success stories too.
But after all it is one person's experience who is expressing it out of sheer dejection and sadness that he has under gone seeing his dreams shatter and he wants others to be fully aware of some harsh realities.
So at the end it is for us to take our lessons from this negative or positive and make an informed choice.

So just be wise and make an informed choice and decision.

sofiajohns12

Sep 27, 2011
Ontario
App. Filed.......
26-09-2007
Doc's Request.
26-06-2010
Med's Done....
27-11-2010 and 18-12-2011
Interview........
26-10-2011
Passport Req..
17-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-2012
Well said ayazf... we have to welcome both +ve and -ve comments.

nano24482

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/02/2010
Doc's Request.
20/04/2010
AOR Received.
27/08/2010
File Transfer...
27/04/2010
Interesting thread and discussions here.

Let me point my views than.

1. If people notice than we are in a midst of recession, so getting a job for locals or for newly landed immigrants will be difficult than, when market is good. Its less probable that OP and his spouse both get similiar paying jobs even if they move back to Australia due to market condition.
2. That said OP has posted his experience. He has every right to share his story with us. We all can benifit from his experience by being better prepared.
3. If we are from developing country, than most of us are used to financial/political/social struggle. Most of us know that our educational/work experience credential won't be counted much and we may need to study or maybe switch our line of work. But being from Australia OP expected that both countries will have a better exchange/co-ordination, which turned out to be false.
4. Lastly, to anyone saying that Canada is a third world country, please visit one and see people sleeping on roads or begging for food.

That said Canada is not a bed of roses, nor is Australia and nor is anyone's home country.

Its a struggle daily, somedays more than others.