+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Becoming a teacher

Jul 26, 2018
Hello, wonderful people,

I will be moving to ON, Canada this year as a PR. I am a medical doctor with 2 years working as a psychiatrist (in EG). I realized that pursuing a career as a clinician in Canada will be quite difficult for me. All the better, because my real passion was to become a teacher. To be more exact a school counselor.

I read on the "Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association" document online that to be a school counsellor I need to be certified with the "Ontario College of Teachers" and that requires to:

• have completed a minimum three-year postsecondary degree from an acceptable postsecondary institution;

• have successfully completed a one-year acceptable teacher education program.

(after this certification I will need to complete an "Additional Qualifications Courses" or I can complete a Master's degree with a focus on counselling/psychotherapy.

Now my question is, I graduated from medical school, is this an appropriate postsecondary degree? My institution was Cairo University (which is acceptable and I have source-verified my certificates with the Canadian Medical Council).

If my medical postsecondary degree is not appropriate, what would I need to take as a postsecondary degree?
Could I take a master's degree in Education (in Canada) and complete a one-year teacher education program and I'd be qualified to become a teacher?