+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Becoming a French teacher in Canada. Should I study B.ed?

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
Hello! I am a French language student from India and this is my last year and my studies will be over this month and I like teaching. I once made a similar post here but I did not ask everything I wanted so I am making another post.

A lot of International students are studying Management or STEM related courses in Canada but I have never heard of any international student wanting to become a teacher in Canada or studying B.Ed n Canada. I like teaching( I have no work experience but as part of my college program, we get training to become teachers in which he give demo lectures to students and I loved teaching). Anyway, I spoke to some Canadians on Reddit who told me that there is a shortage of French teachers in Canada. I have looked for B.Ed programs in Alberta in University of Calgary and University of Alberta. Since I already have a Bachelor's degree, I can complete this program in 2 years instead of 4 years. But as you all know that studying in Canada is expensive. I feel safer taking a loan for management course like Human resource/business management/marketing than the B.Ed program. Can anyone please advise me? And oh, I am fluent in French(If that helps)

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Teachers make good income in Canada and have a very good pension program. You would make more as a teacher than most with a college business degree or even better degrees. Most teaching degrees are masters program in Canada. It is also very competitive to get into teaching programs because it is considered a very good job. There is a surplus of teachers in Canada but a shortage of French teachers. Nobody can guarantee anything but there is a lot more certainty of getting a good job with a teaching degree versus most business degree. Many teachers have to wait years for a permanent job and do supply teaching and sick leave/maternity replacement contracts but French teachers are in short supply so they are different. Would encourage you to email school boards about any questions or find French teachers to email for advice. Nobody can guarantee you anything but that would be the same for Canadian students as well. You have been speaking about this for a long time. Many of the teaching degrees don’t have start dates in winter and summer only fall. If it is between HR and French teacher French teacher will pay more in general and will be easier to get a job as long as you go to an area that has a shortage of French teachers.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-school-boards-desperately-short-of-french-language-teachers-report/

Reactions: yuvrajbhatia1396

yuvrajbhatia1396

Star Member
Oct 2, 2018
Teachers make good income in Canada and have a very good pension program. You would make more as a teacher than most with a college business degree or even better degrees. Most teaching degrees are masters program in Canada. It is also very competitive to get into teaching programs because it is considered a very good job. There is a surplus of teachers in Canada but a shortage of French teachers. Nobody can guarantee anything but there is a lot more certainty of getting a good job with a teaching degree versus most business degree. Many teachers have to wait years for a permanent job and do supply teaching and sick leave/maternity replacement contracts but French teachers are in short supply so they are different. Would encourage you to email school boards about any questions or find French teachers to email for advice. Nobody can guarantee you anything but that would be the same for Canadian students as well. You have been speaking about this for a long time. Many of the teaching degrees don’t have start dates in winter and summer only fall. If it is between HR and French teacher French teacher will pay more in general and will be easier to get a job as long as you go to an area that has a shortage of French teachers.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-school-boards-desperately-short-of-french-language-teachers-report/
Thank you! :) This helps. You said most teaching degrees are master programs? This means that B.Ed wont be useful? I'll have to do M.Ed as well?