+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

became PR as common law but broken up. What's my marital status for extension?

t-chan

Jul 4, 2010
Hi,
As the title says, I became a permanent resident about 10 years ago under the family class and extended status 5 years ago still as a common law. Now we broke up and my 2nd extension time is coming. I wonder what my marital status is. Is it simply "not married?" I'm not a "common law" anymore, not "legally separated" (I read somewhere it only applies when there is legal documents), not "widowed" or "divorced" unless they consider common law break-up as "divorce."

So I wonder what it is....just "never married"?
Do you think I should add a little explanation?

Thank you!

dlre

Star Member
Aug 30, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You know, that's an interesting question. i would be interested in knowing the answer lol

I check the Stats Canada and even they don't have a classification for someone who broken up from a common law relationship :eek:
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/eng/concepts/definitions/marital01

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

t-chan said:
Hi,
As the title says, I became a permanent resident about 10 years ago under the family class and extended status 5 years ago still as a common law. Now we broke up and my 2nd extension time is coming. I wonder what my marital status is. Is it simply "not married?" I'm not a "common law" anymore, not "legally separated" (I read somewhere it only applies when there is legal documents), not "widowed" or "divorced" unless they consider common law break-up as "divorce."

Thank you!
1. Separated.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
t-chan said:
Hi,

Thank you!
Here is a description of each item (from another immigration app): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5527ETOC.asp
Legally Separated:
This means that you are married, but no longer living with your spouse.

This requires you to be married on paper but separated physically with your spouse. Since you were never married, the only one that really applies to you is Never Married

t-chan

Jul 4, 2010
Rob_TO said:
Here is a description of each item (from another immigration app): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5527ETOC.asp
Legally Separated:
This means that you are married, but no longer living with your spouse.

This requires you to be married on paper but separated physically with your spouse. Since you were never married, the only one that really applies to you is Never Married
Thank you. From what I read as you say it seems nothing applies to me other than "never married."

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
t-chan said:
Thank you. From what I read as you say it seems nothing applies to me other than "never married."
Right, none of the other ones fit your situation, and indeed you've never been married, so that is what you should select.