+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC - Short term private medical insurance for mother and infant suggestions

lchazl

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
This is our current situation:
  • Preparing to submit PR app this month for wife
  • Wife is pregnant, will have baby not in Canada, after 1-2 months will get the baby a passport and move to Canada no matter if PR is ready or not as she has a TRV.
For the first 2.x months we will need private insurance for BC.

Question: Does this forum have any recommendations on insurance plans/providers that cover a 1-2 month old's needs (immunizations, etc.) as well as mother and father?

Thanks,

Charles

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The baby will also need a TRV unless he/she was born in a visa exempt country. If tou are getting an expedited paaaport I would only book your tickets when you get the passport. Some people get travel socuments in 30 days but many run into delays and problems.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is our current situation:
  • Preparing to submit PR app this month for wife
  • Wife is pregnant, will have baby not in Canada, after 1-2 months will get the baby a passport and move to Canada no matter if PR is ready or not as she has a TRV.
For the first 2.x months we will need private insurance for BC.

Question: Does this forum have any recommendations on insurance plans/providers that cover a 1-2 month old's needs (immunizations, etc.) as well as mother and father?

Thanks,

Charles
Regular care is not covered only emergency care. Regular care will be out of poccket.

lchazl

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
The baby will also need a TRV unless he/she was born in a visa exempt country. If tou are getting an expedited paaaport I would only book your tickets when you get the passport. Some people get travel socuments in 30 days but many run into delays and problems.
Yes we plan only getting the tickets after the passport is issued as the country isn't visa exempt.

lchazl

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
Regular care is not covered only emergency care. Regular care will be out of poccket.
Yes I know this, that's why I'm asking if this forum has recommendations on private short term providers that would provide any form of regular care such as baby shots, or does that not exist? And I must just pay the hospitals directly?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
As Canuck78, mentioned regular care would be out of of pocket. There would be no private short term providers for regular care since that would be a money looser to them, and they are in the business of making money, not paying out. You would provide payment to the service provider, clinic, emerg, etc

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Yes I know this, that's why I'm asking if this forum has recommendations on private short term providers that would provide any form of regular care such as baby shots, or does that not exist? And I must just pay the hospitals directly?
As other said, such cover does not exist. You would probably use a walk in clinic and yes, pay them direct.

lchazl

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
As Canuck78, mentioned regular care would be out of of pocket. There would be no private short term providers for regular care since that would be a money looser to them, and they are in the business of making money, not paying out. You would provide payment to the service provider, clinic, emerg, etc
As other said, such cover does not exist. You would probably use a walk in clinic and yes, pay them direct.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. So in terms of emergency medical insurance, are there insurers that are recommended for the 3 month wait period? I've found one: http://www.david-cummings.com/ I'm not sure if there is a list that the forum has or a couple go-to insurers? Thanks.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016