+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC PNP Tech - Remote Work Query

Andyw99

Jan 10, 2021
Hi,

I am moving to Vancouver, BC soon, I currently live in Ontario and work remotely, my employer has a physical presence and office in Vancouver, BC. The position is fully remote, although the signed offer letter has the Ontario office address since I lived in Ontario when the offer letter was issued. I am aware I would need to provide a signed offer letter, will this be an issue?

My manager is willing to have my office location updated to be BC, but the position will still be remote.

I would be living and paying taxes in BC, even my payroll would be done through BC.

Quoting from the Guide, my employer is extra-provincially registered within BC and has a physical presence and an office, where other employees work from.

6.2 Established in British Columbia
Your employer must be established, and have a physical presence, in B.C. For the purposes of the BC PNP, this means that your employer has an ongoing fixed place of business in B.C., such as an office, where employees can physically report to work on a regular basis.

6.3 Business Structure
Your employer must have one of the following business structures:
  • incorporated in B.C. or extra-provincially registered

My concern is, that I originally got this job in Ontario, and has an Ontario office address on it, I don't think, the offer letter can be provided with a new office address, Will I still be eligible for PNP in BC given that my employer does satisfy the requirements above. Since the position is remote and the employer has a global presence, including offices and payroll in BC, will it be an issue?

Thank you for reading this so far, your help is appreciated.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Too long didn't read.

It doesn't matter if you work remotely, you need to stay in the geographic boundaries of the province that nominated you once you become a provincial nominee. So if Ontario nominated you, and you move to BC, you are breaching your Schedule 4 commitment to reside in the province that is supporting your nomination.

Adizero112

Dec 28, 2021
Too long didn't read.

It doesn't matter if you work remotely, you need to stay in the geographic boundaries of the province that nominated you once you become a provincial nominee. So if Ontario nominated you, and you move to BC, you are breaching your Schedule 4 commitment to reside in the province that is supporting your nomination.
Thanks for your reply. I'm not nominated by any province yet. I've only received an ITA from BC. I'm moving there before I submit my application but I've already been working remotely and outside BC for the same BC employer that I'm putting in my application.

There is a clause in the BC PNP Tech Program Guide's Job Offer section that says "Please note that the positions that require you to spend the majority of time outside of B.C. will not be approved.", hence, my concern. It's a hybrid position.

ahmed nfely

Dec 14, 2022
I hope you are doing well, and I hope you are in British Columbia now. I'm in almost the samsituation you were in, so I'm curious to see if you're able to get answers and if you're le

CJ27

Star Member
May 24, 2022
Hi All, did anyone managed to get BC PNP with remote location or hybrid or how you succeed in doing so .. pls help to share your experience... as I'm stuck in same situation.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Thanks for your reply. I'm not nominated by any province yet. I've only received an ITA from BC. I'm moving there before I submit my application but I've already been working remotely and outside BC for the same BC employer that I'm putting in my application.

There is a clause in the BC PNP Tech Program Guide's Job Offer section that says "Please note that the positions that require you to spend the majority of time outside of B.C. will not be approved.", hence, my concern. It's a hybrid position.
You answered your own question by pointing out the clause.