+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC PNP Questions

crabbit

Mar 21, 2016
Hi folks,

I'm a UK citizen and am currently in BC. My current closed work permit expires on the 23rd of December 2018, but I have submitted my application to extend my stay as a visitor. Based on the current processing time of 99 days for online applications, that should take me up to the end of March 2019 while its processed. I intend to apply for provincial nomination through the Tech Pilot initiative as my NOC code is 2175, one of the 29 occupations listed under the initiative.

As such, I have received a job offer which is the first stage of the process. However, I have a few concerns about the job offer and how it might affect my application.
  • The job offer is subject to an 8 month probationary period.
  • It is a union job.
  • Although the job offer is for a full-time, permanent job of indeterminate duration, they have made the offer valid until February 1st with the option of extension should I require more time to get to the point of obtaining a work permit.
  • The job offer is from an educational institution, a public community college.
Every job vacancy I have seen posted has been subject to a probationary period so I'm not sure how to get around that one. Unless they would be willing to extend the probationary period to one year which would meet the minimum contract requirements of the Tech Pilot.

I've never been in a unionised job, but I believe this is whats called a collective bargaining agreement and I'm not sure if that would affect my application.

I have heard stories of Tech Pilot applications being processed in days rather than weeks or even months, but if the job offer contains a time limit then surely that will work against me, too?

Will the sector of the employer be taken into account in the application, or just the NOC code of the position?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I get this right.

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
Hi there!

From what I understood on the BC Tech Pilot Guide for Workers, you need a job offer for a minimum of one year. Yours is for a full-time indeterminate position. You appear to meet that requirement. This requirement isn't how long the offer is valid, but for the length of the job itself. The fact that you have until the 1st of February to accept the offer does not mean you are ineligible.

Also, a probationary period is standard for most jobs. It's a period of time in which you can be terminated without any blowback to your employer. It has no effect on the period for which your position is valid. You do not need to request a longer or shorter probationary period.

I'm not sure about unionized jobs, but I do not believe there is any effect on your chances of being accepted. Just means there is extra paperwork for the employer to fill out.

I hope this helped, if only a little.

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
W.r.t the sector of the employer, I'm unsure how it works in B.C., but in Ontario my employer had to fill that field out in their Employer Form. Both come into play, in my opinion, but for different reasons.