+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC PNP - No pysical address for a remote work registered in BC

amirarcane

Jul 20, 2019
Hello everyone,

I recently applied for BC PNP. I'm working remotely for a company registered in the city of Delta, BC. Since the nature of the work is remote, the address of the employee on file is the CEO's home address. Although the company has a business license, the officer mentioned below points about the business license.

The Delta business address appears to be a residential home, and the available information regarding the employer’s business license indicates that only a maximum of two (2) residents of the home are permitted to work from that location. There is no other information suggesting another business location for the employer. Consequently, I have concerns that the employer is not established in BC (physical presence), with an on-going fixed place of business where employees can physically report to work on a regular basis. On the same note, I have concerns that the employer does not have valid licensing that allows their employees to engage in business at a fixed location in BC.

The officer asked for my response to his concern. Can anyone help me with these issues?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I recently applied for BC PNP. I'm working remotely for a company registered in the city of Delta, BC. Since the nature of the work is remote, the address of the employee on file is the CEO's home address. Although the company has a business license, the officer mentioned below points about the business license.

The Delta business address appears to be a residential home, and the available information regarding the employer’s business license indicates that only a maximum of two (2) residents of the home are permitted to work from that location. There is no other information suggesting another business location for the employer. Consequently, I have concerns that the employer is not established in BC (physical presence), with an on-going fixed place of business where employees can physically report to work on a regular basis. On the same note, I have concerns that the employer does not have valid licensing that allows their employees to engage in business at a fixed location in BC.

The officer asked for my response to his concern. Can anyone help me with these issues?
Talk to you employer. Employer must prove that business is registered and can operate the business out of a home since there is no company office. Seems like your employer doesn’t have a valid license to do so.

amirarcane

Jul 20, 2019
Talk to you employer. Employer must prove that business is registered and can operate the business out of a home since there is no company office. Seems like your employer doesn’t have a valid license to do so.
Thank you so much for the response. In this case, I guess the employer needs to obtain a new business license with a commercial type, but it probably requires an office address, right? Since there is no office for the company, it may cause some problems. Am I right?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you so much for the response. In this case, I guess the employees need to obtain a new business license with a commercial type, but it probably requires an office address, right? Since there is no office for the company, it may cause some problems. Am I right?
Correct. Seems like his business does not a a valid license to operate from his home. It is not a place of business. Needs municipal business license.

https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-to-B-C/Employers

Reactions: amirarcane

Takkuyu

Nov 23, 2021
Hi @amirarcane, could you share what happened to your application? I think I am in the same situation where my employer has a municipal business license for his home office (registered in BC) but all the other employees work from home as it's a remote-first company.

amirarcane

Jul 20, 2019
Hi @amirarcane, could you share what happened to your application? I think I am in the same situation where my employer has a municipal business license for his home office (registered in BC) but all the other employees work from home as it's a remote-first company.
Unfortunately, my application was rejected because the employer requires a commercial business license, rather than a home license.

Reactions: Taran D and scylla

Takkuyu

Nov 23, 2021
Unfortunately, my application was rejected because the employer requires a commercial business license, rather than a home license.
I feel sorry to hear that but thank you for sharing it. Could you also let me know which path you ended up taking? I am now considering an LMIA option though it seems to require more effort ...