+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[BC] How to extend my MSP after renewing WP ?

cortex471

Mar 8, 2018
Hello,

I have extended my Work Permit and received the new one before expiry of previous one .
How can I extend my MSP now? My card will expire in a month (I have extended the SIN already).

Searching online I saw two different suggestions:
1. If you receive your new WP before the expiry of previous one then MSP will continue (source).
2. You have to write a letter and send it by mail to MSP address (source)

Thanks,

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Found this on the Provincial website.
Renewing Enrolment in MSP
Adult MSP beneficiaries are expected to renew enrolment by the card expiry date specified on their BC Services Card (some exceptions may apply). You can renew enrolment when renewing your driver's licence. If you don't drive, you can renew enrolment at the nearest driver licensing office.

Exemptions from Renewal of Enrolment in MSP
Some MSP beneficiaries are not required to renew enrolment:

• Adults aged 75 and older are not required to renew enrolment in MSP, but may apply for a BC Services Card when they renew their BCID or driver's licence; and
  • Children under 19 years of age are not required to renew enrolment in MSP and will be automatically issued non-photo BC Services Cards.
In Newfoundland we have an MCP card for health (don't know if this is the same), but I need to get a letter from my current employer since I am here on a work permit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would suggest you visit one of the MSP office along with your work permit documents so there is no delay in reinstating your coverage. Other option is mail.

cortex471

Mar 8, 2018
It turns out the only way to extend MSP for temporary workers is sending a request by mail. Instructions and sample letter can be found here.

I have visited 2 ICBC offices, called MSP support line twice, and called Service BC office at Maple ridge twice .. they really don't know what to do, you can tell easily that temporary workers support is the poorest comparing to other residency statuses.
I have heard the following conflicting instructions from above mentioned sources:

1. Visit Service BC office at Maple Ridge (according to MSP support Mainland line)
2. Apply online (according to ICBC office)
3. Call MSP support (according to Service BC office)
4. Send letter by mail (according to MSP support Mainland line) <-- The correct way.

I mailed the request today, will let you know how it goes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It turns out the only way to extend MSP for temporary workers is sending a request by mail. Instructions and sample letter can be found here.

I have visited 2 ICBC offices, called MSP support line twice, and called Service BC office at Maple ridge twice .. they really don't know what to do, you can tell easily that temporary workers support is the poorest comparing to other residency statuses.
I have heard the following conflicting instructions from above mentioned sources:

1. Visit Service BC office at Maple Ridge (according to MSP support Mainland line)
2. Apply online (according to ICBC office)
3. Call MSP support (according to Service BC office)
4. Send letter by mail (according to MSP support Mainland line) <-- The correct way.

I mailed the request today, will let you know how it goes.
Good luck!

cortex471

Mar 8, 2018
Hi, just updating you with the result:
I got the renewed MSP cards by mail and it took about 2 weeks, make sure you that SIN is extended before contacting MSP by mail.

The 4th approach above is the correct one, the instructions in UBC link above are very useful.. I referred to them and they worked for me.

Thanks