+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bankruptcy vs Consumer proposal for sponsoring spouse ?

aarongpasha

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
August 2012
Med's Request
July 24 2013 re-medical
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
soon coming
VISA ISSUED...
soon happening
LANDED..........
soon will happen
Hi All: I understand if someone has a record of Bankruptcy (R-9) can not sponsor his/her spouse for the next 7 years!!

How about if someone does file for "Consumer Proposal" (R-8), can he/she be eligible for sponsoring spouse ?? PLEASE share your knowledge on this issue.

yaye2009

Star Member
May 9, 2009
Consumer proposal u dont have to worry about it , but bankruptcy I think u have be discharged if im not mistaken

Astro2

Star Member
May 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Isb/Ldn-Hubby's case
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 02/12
Doc's Request.
updated forms & PCC - November 2013
File Transfer...
May 08/12
Med's Request
remedical - Jan 10/14
Passport Req..
Oct 8th, 2014, Sent on Nov 8th
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 25th/14
LANDED..........
Nov 28th, 2014 inshallah
Hi,

yeah, you are right..with the bankruptcy.. sponsor has to wait till they are discharged from it. it can take 9-21 months depending on the situation and income.

I am not sure about the consumer proposal part but I think it shows up as " bankruptcy " on the credit reports until you are cleared from the proposal.

"If you are considering the sponsorship of a family member through the Canadian immigration process, a Bankruptcy filing could stall that process. A Consumer Proposal would not.
Potential for less of an impact on your credit rating long-term than a Bankruptcy (3 years versus 7 years).|

http://www.afarber.com/consumer-proposal/consumer-proposal-overview-benefits

and just a suggestion that you may want to call a trustee in bankruptcy for any inquires related to it. They would be more than willing to help you with it.

aarongpasha

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
August 2012
Med's Request
July 24 2013 re-medical
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
soon coming
VISA ISSUED...
soon happening
LANDED..........
soon will happen
Astro2 said:
Hi,
yeah, you are right..with the bankruptcy.. sponsor has to wait till they are discharged from it. it can take 9-21 months depending on the situation and income.
I am not sure about the consumer proposal part but I think it shows up as " bankruptcy " on the credit reports until you are cleared from the proposal.
"If you are considering the sponsorship of a family member through the Canadian immigration process, a Bankruptcy filing could stall that process. A Consumer Proposal would not.
Potential for less of an impact on your credit rating long-term than a Bankruptcy (3 years versus 7 years).|

http://www.afarber.com/consumer-proposal/consumer-proposal-overview-benefits
and just a suggestion that you may want to call a trustee in bankruptcy for any inquires related to it. They would be more than willing to help you with it.
Hi Astro2: Much much thanks. You did explain me the topic nice and short. Great help. Yes, I am thinking to find some trustee, but would they know about immigration and sponsorship issues related to 'consumer proposal'?? What do you think ? Thanks once again.

aarongpasha

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
August 2012
Med's Request
July 24 2013 re-medical
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
soon coming
VISA ISSUED...
soon happening
LANDED..........
soon will happen
yaye2009 said:
Consumer proposal u dont have to worry about it , but bankruptcy I think u have be discharged if im not mistaken
Hi yeye2009: Thank you so much. This is actually a question for my friend who does not have time to come to this forum. Little digging up for her. Hope this information would help her.

Astro2

Star Member
May 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Isb/Ldn-Hubby's case
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 02/12
Doc's Request.
updated forms & PCC - November 2013
File Transfer...
May 08/12
Med's Request
remedical - Jan 10/14
Passport Req..
Oct 8th, 2014, Sent on Nov 8th
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 25th/14
LANDED..........
Nov 28th, 2014 inshallah
aarongpasha said:
Hi Astro2: Much much thanks. You did explain me the topic nice and short. Great help. Yes, I am thinking to find some trustee, but would they know about immigration and sponsorship issues related to 'consumer proposal'?? What do you think ? Thanks once again.
Hi,

yeah, trustees know about all the issues related to filing for bankruptcy/proposal. Make sure to speak to a administrator or a trustee and not just an assistant. And if they don't know anything then they will just need to look into their Bible ( BIA.. bankruptcy insolvency act book ).

I work in a Trustee's office, I can also look into this for you or even check with our trustees about it.

take care!

amych1980

Sep 27, 2013
Hello aarongpasha :)

I was wondering if you found an answer to your question about the consumer proposal? I am in the exact same situation and I'm having a hard time finding a trustee that knows 100%. I've asked a few and they have all said they think it doesn't affect a sponsorship...but I want to know for sure!

I hope your friends situation worked out :D

Thank you,
amych1980

Habibti

Apr 4, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
31-03-2011
Med's Done....
10-01-2011 / 06-09-2012
Interview........
12-09-2011 / Denied 4-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
January 9, 2013
LANDED..........
January 18, 2013 in Montreal
I know a sponsor on this forum whose husband from North Africa landed in Canada less than 2 years ago and she got her consumer proposal last year I think and everything is ok.

HenryCady

Nov 5, 2013
As far as I know, sponsoring someone will be an issue when it comes to bankruptcy, but not in that of the consumer proposals. Maybe you can get free consultation from Kevin Thatcher & Associates.