+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BAGGAGE problem !

vickyindia

Star Member
Aug 15, 2013
well i was planning to buy a check in bag and i read the terms and conditions of my airline (KLM)..
It says 1 Baggage -23kg max
my luggage weigh-35kg
and if i paid around 40 euros more then I am allowed - 1 baggage (23kg max) + one more baggage (23kg too)= 46kg
now i have made the payment ..i am thinking of taking only 1 BIG BAG with an increased capacity to hold around 35 kg .Is that fine
or does one 23 kg baggae mean only 23kg and no more than that ..in case i xceed that is only 12kg(read 3rd line) more do i need to purchase a NEW BAG ..Cant i do it in ONE BIG BAG ????any frequent traveller who has some idea ? :-\ :-\ :-\

twentyone

Jul 23, 2013
India
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2013
IELTS Request
8 bands
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-2013
Call KLM helpline and clarify your doubts. You will get the best answer from there.

Swathi.life

Oct 18, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vickyindia said:
well i was planning to buy a check in bag and i read the terms and conditions of my airline (KLM)..
my luggage weigh-35kg
and if i paid around 40 euros more then I am allowed - 1 baggage (23kg max) + one more baggage (23kg too)= 46kg
now i have made the payment ..i am thinking of taking only 1 BIG BAG with an increased capacity to hold around 35 kg .Is that fine
or does one 23 kg baggae mean only 23kg and no more than that ..in case i xceed that is only 12kg(read 3rd line) more do i need to purchase a NEW BAG ..Cant i do it in ONE BIG BAG ????any frequent traveller who has some idea ? :-\ :-\ :-\
i dont know abot KLM, bcos the rules vary for different airlines..n also how friendly the staff at the baggage counter are ;)

but it is nt advisable to carry a big bag..later when u have to move with in canada or travel anywhere..infact almost all airlines has specifications for dimensions of the bag..n they charge u extra if u exceed them..

it is always good to take 2 separate bags of 23 kgs...

One4daRoad

Star Member
Nov 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
10-12-2013
Hello Vicky,

I'm not a frequent flyer however i have some vague information on baggage allowance. If the Airline states that only 1 bag of 23kgs is allowed it means that you are allowed just one bag which weighs 23kgs including bag weight and you will be charged excess for anything above that. For more clarity either call the airline customer service or check their website for baggage section and check for the bag size permissible.

One4daRoad

Star Member
Nov 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
10-12-2013
Furthermore, refer to the link below to know more about the baggage size allowed:

Link - http://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/prepare_for_travel/baggage/baggage_allowance/index.htm

Swathi.life

Oct 18, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
since u already paid KLM extra n ur going from India..they might consider however u wish to carry..

but when u later have foreigners at a baggage counter in canada or anywhere big bag can cause a trouble..n u might have to pay little fine.

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vickyindia said:
my luggage weigh-35kg
Hey

I fly from canada/india pretty frequently. If they say one bag of 23 Kgs - you can only carry one bag - KLM website has dimensions of bag as well.....( i dont know how big is your "big" bag but it must fall in the dimensions else they will charge you more).
If you have already paid for extra bag - much better to take two bags - thats what I always do. Its not like you have to carry the bags yourself everywhere haha ;D

Also..just so you know -airlines now a days have limit on maximum weight in one bag ( i think it is 32 kgs) so even if your bag is overweight it must not exceed 32 kgs...there is no way they are going to allow 35 kgs even after paying extra.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
vickyindia said:
my luggage weigh-35kg
Most airlines do not allow you to carry 1 big bag that is about 35 kg as it is considered to be too heavy to by lifted by the baggage handlers, and could result in liability issues if the workers get injured. As a result, 32 kg is pretty much the maximum any airline will allow, and even then, you would have to pay an excess baggage charge. You should take 2 separate bags if you need to carry more than 23 kg.

Ehti2013

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-08-2013
Doc's Request.
already submited
IELTS Request
already submited
Med's Request
23-08-2013
Med's Done....
30-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
already submited
VISA ISSUED...
10-09-2013
LANDED..........
25-12-2013
No, 1 bag with exceeding wait wouldn't be allowed. Now that you have made the payment you will have to carry 2 bags. I am a frequent flyer .

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
vickyindia said:
my luggage weigh-35kg
u r looking at just the weight check dimension of the bag too as it should fit the overhead compartment or under ur seat of airplane. KLM must have dimension of the bag too. u cannot carry u big luggage type as it wont fit anywhere and u will be asked to check it in. make sure u carry a small pouch/bag for all ur documents.