+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bad Neighborhoods in Toronto

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
I heard that Rexdale and Jane and Finch in Toronto are bad areas. Bad in terms of what crime/s? e.g. Theft, vandalism, assault, shootings. etc. Surely, one can say ALL those, but what crime/s is it predominantly known for? One that would immediately pop out of your head.
I mean is it an area where it's bad to have a house in where it gets vandalized, a car where it gets stolen....or is it so dangerous that you can't walk down the street safely like Compton?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The Jane / Finch corridor is certainly not as bad as Compton.

It's an area with a large number of high density rental apartments and people in Toronto generally associate it with higher levels of violence. If you asked me what crime pops into my head first when you say Jane / Finch corridor, then I would say shootings. But that may be more stereotype than reality. You can walk down the street during the day no problem. I've never been there at night but assume it's fine then too (or at least most of it). Many people with families live there.

Here are the stats for shootings for the entire GTA (which includes Jane / Finch):

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/statistics/ytd_stats.php

I honestly can't think of any place in Toronto where I would be afraid to walk down the street.

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Thanks for the input. Hopefully, at night, it's an area busy with people walking about, therefore it's not one of those quiet dark areas where you stop at a red light and have a 9mm pointed at your head or just walking along the street by yourself and watching anyone who walks behind you.

qwerbilzak

Star Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2010
AOR Received.
18-11-2010
Med's Request
20-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Passport Req..
06-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
simonvee said:
I heard that Rexdale and Jane and Finch in Toronto are bad areas. Bad in terms of what crime/s? e.g. Theft, vandalism, assault, shootings. etc. Surely, one can say ALL those, but what crime/s is it predominantly known for? One that would immediately pop out of your head.
I mean is it an area where it's bad to have a house in where it gets vandalized, a car where it gets stolen....or is it so dangerous that you can't walk down the street safely like Compton?
We looked at apartments in Rexdale and it seemed 100% fine to me.

But then I've lived in a seriously bad area in the US, so everywhere in Toronto seems fine to me.

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Thanks for the input. Although looking at apartments, presumably during the day, and of course living there is very different scenarios.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
simonvee said:
Thanks for the input. Hopefully, at night, it's an area busy with people walking about, therefore it's not one of those quiet dark areas where you stop at a red light and have a 9mm pointed at your head or just walking along the street by yourself and watching anyone who walks behind you.
Man, this sounds like Latin America, not safe and sane Toronto.

But to be sure, go to the local police precinct and ask the desk sergeant what the crime rate is like in the area. Better to ask this question before signing a lease.

zap0ne

Jan 14, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
24-07-1998
There are plenty of guides to help with Toronto neighbourhoods and also check with the Police. They can be an asset if you do not know an area well.
8)

K007

Apr 8, 2012
:eek: Recently my friend has been telling me that Mississauga has been getting worse over the years as he moved in here long time ago and according to him "I used to not even lock my door", I found out today that the North West sector of Mississauga is just as 'bad' as Jane/Finchish which is 'north west' section/sector of Toronto so to speak... Especially around Erin Mills and Derry at this street called Estoril Road, there's this 'punk' at 7075 who thinks he is the 'ruler of the street' who was $^@^@ing swearing at me (using that word as well) just cause 'he' :mad: thinks that it was possible to park two cars in a particular spot, two $^@^%#@ing smart cars maybe... ALSO there's such a thing as parking too close to the drive way and being in the way of people trying to pull out especially when there are people trying to park on both sides of the street, HELLO... what an :-\... stay clear of this neighbourhood and the people living on Estoril.... ;)