+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Backlog clearance--what does it mean for new applications?

Romania85

Star Member
Jun 5, 2016
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 4th, 2016
AOR Received.
July 22nd, 2016
File Transfer...
August 18th, 2016
Med's Request
June 15th, 2016
Passport Req..
November 9th, 2016
Hi guys

We are looking to send my husband's file for sponsorship this upcoming week, and I saw a notice on the CIC website saying that they are working to clear the backlog. In terms of processing times, what does this mean for new spousal applications?

Some background info: I am a Canadian citizen living in Romania for the past 4 years (I'm also Romanian), and I am looking to sponsor my husband.

Thanks all!

AG15

May 3, 2016
Visa Office......
Ndvo
Romania85 said:
Hi guys

We are looking to send my husband's file for sponsorship this upcoming week, and I saw a notice on the CIC website saying that they are working to clear the backlog. In terms of processing times, what does this mean for new spousal applications?

Some background info: I am a Canadian citizen living in Romania for the past 4 years (I'm also Romanian), and I am looking to sponsor my husband.

Thanks all!
They said that they will clear back logs and also try to process new files as fast they can and it also depends how managed is your file. If it is complete and they doesn't need any additional document from u. So best of luck for ur husband sponsorship file. He will got permanent residence Asap.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Romania85 said:
It most likely means nothing until they actually clear the backlog.

annakrystyna13

Star Member
Feb 10, 2015
Honestly, they issued many similar statements in the past, and the processing times just keep getting longer instead. I am really curious to see what's going to happen in the next few months.

flx2015

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Dec-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Sept-2016
Med's Request
16-Sept-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Oct-2016
annakrystyna13 said:
Honestly, they issued many similar statements in the past, and the processing times just keep getting longer instead.
have you seen publications from the former minister of immigration? his solution to eliminating the backlog was to reduce the intake of immigrants and put a temporary freeze on new PR apps. in his own words, "higher immigration levels are not a solution" (from his May 2013 action plan). those statements you're referring to were from the former government. keep in mind that they are the ones who created this mess in the first place, so yes, if the conservatives were still at the helm, i would also have been pessimistic.

lastly, i've said this before and i'll say it again: when a minister himself tells the house of commons that something has become their "main priority", it means exactly that. mccallum's main priority for this summer is to speed up family reunification and reduce the backlog through faster processing.

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
flx2015 said:
have you seen publications from the former minister of immigration? his solution to eliminating the backlog was to reduce the intake of immigrants and put a temporary freeze on new PR apps. in his own words, "higher immigration levels are not a solution" (from his May 2013 action plan). those statements you're referring to were from the former government. keep in mind that they are the ones who created this mess in the first place, so yes, if the conservatives were still at the helm, i would also have been pessimistic.

lastly, i've said this before and i'll say it again: when a minister himself tells the house of commons that something has become their "main priority", it means exactly that. mccallum's main priority for this summer is to speed up family reunification and reduce the backlog through faster processing.
flx, unfortunately that government had also made the same comments about priorities, as had the previous liberal minister before them. I think the problem is deeper than differences between conservatives and liberals. Even CIC themselves have always preached the importance of family reunification. These statements have never really meant much and there isn't much unique about this latest round. As much as we'd like to, there's no reason to trust there will be real lasting positive effects just because the new minister says this is important to him. Let's at least wait until he publishes his own action plan...

rand75

Feb 24, 2016
nmclean said:
flx, unfortunately that government had also made the same comments about priorities, as had the previous liberal minister before them. I think the problem is deeper than differences between conservatives and liberals. Even CIC themselves have always preached the importance of family reunification. These statements have never really meant much and there isn't much unique about this latest round. As much as we'd like to, there's no reason to trust there will be real lasting positive effects just because the new minister says this is important to him. Let's at least wait until he publishes his own action plan...
Politics aside, are you saying that this notice doesn't mean anything? I don't believe that.

I don't know if there will be lasting effects or permanent solution, but i think for now they really are trying to do do something about the backlog. They are even displaying the notice right on the spousal sponsorship page: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
rand75 said:
Politics aside, are you saying that this notice doesn't mean anything? I don't believe that.

I don't know if there will be lasting effects or permanent solutions, but i think for now they really are trying to do do something about the backlog. They are even displaying the notice right on the spousal sponsorship page: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp (see the notice in blue right at the top)
Of course literally speaking this does mean something, but I don't know what, exactly. Much of it does seem truly meaningless as it's simply reiterating what is already known. We've been hearing about the $25 million to reduce processing time since at least January, and the 2016 Immigration Levels Plan has also been available for a while now showing they were increasing Spouses, Partners and Children up to 60,000. We still haven't seen any specifics about what is actually being done, or exactly when (this notice implies that the backlog before June 13 is what will be focused on, but is still very vague about when these "efforts" will come into effect, saying only it "will" happen "this year").

gabba50

Mar 16, 2016
Calgary,AB
Category........
Visa Office......
DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2016
AOR Received.
30-03-2016
File Transfer...
05-04-2016
Med's Done....
13-01-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2016
LANDED..........
11-09-2016
The only backlogs they managed to control is the citizenship applications, but it's kinda different as all of them are processed here in Canada and they had to triple the fees, it worked. For family classes if they freeze new applications it will create new backlogs again unless those applications in backlogs are approved within a very short period and start new applications without delay.....I think that's what the Notice means

rand75

Feb 24, 2016
nmclean said:
Of course literally speaking this does mean something, but I don't know what, exactly. Much of it does seem truly meaningless as it's simply reiterating what is already known. We've been hearing about the $25 million to reduce processing time since at least January, and the 2016 Immigration Levels Plan has also been available for a while now showing they were increasing Spouses, Partners and Children up to 60,000. We still haven't seen any specifics about what is actually being done, or exactly when (this notice implies that the backlog before June 13 is what will be focused on, but is still very vague about when these "efforts" will come into effect, saying only it "will" happen "this year").
They can do it if they try. Look at the amount of applications that got approved between November and December of last year at the london visa office. Look at new delhi VO's performance between January to May 2016. And look at ottawa VO's performance since the start of this year.

Maybe the notice is intentionally vague because they don't want to explain exactly what they're going to change internally to accomplish this? I can make a few guesses such as: adjust the revisit times for each application in backlog, do the assessments concurrently instead of un sequence, extend medical validity whenever possible, temporarily increase the number of applications each visa officer is required to process during their shift, etc.

This notice has given me hope, and i want to hang on to that hope.

Stuntxd9

May 4, 2015
Visa Office......
KNGVO
App. Filed.......
April 2016
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
rand75 said:
They can do it if they try. Look at the amount of applications that got approved between November and December of last year at the london visa office. Look at new delhi VO's performance between January to May 2016. And look at ottawa VO's performance since the start of this year.

Maybe the notice is intentionally vague because they don't want to explain exactly what they're going to change internally to accomplish this? I can make a few guesses such as: adjust the revisit times for each application in backlog, do things concurrently instead of in parallel, temporarily increase the number of applications each visa officer is required to process during their shift, etc.

This notice has given me hope, and i want to hang on to that hope.
I totally agree with you. I'm honestly not looking for IRCC to give us specific details in their operations but as u mention certain VOs that are experiencing fast DMs, it gives me hope and confidence that the matter of Family Reunification is being attended to.

naveedali

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2015
Lahore
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 2016
AOR Received.
Sep 2016
File Transfer...
Oct 2016
best solution is double the fee, if someone want to go there as soon as possible he can pay the double fee if someone can wait for a year then he can submit the application with the current fee. In UK they have window service for Inland applications, they charge you double and give you decision on the same day and after 2 days you get your visa by post.

AG317

Jan 28, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
Doc's Request.
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
22-03-2016
File Transfer...
29-03-2016
Med's Request
21-03-2017
Med's Done....
03-12-2015 Re-Done 23-03-2017
Passport Req..
31-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2017
LANDED..........
20-04-017
honestly, they SAY processing times are going to go down now that they are infusing more money and hiring more people and clearing the back logs but guess what, the processing time for our VO just went UP by another month :'(

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
AG317 said:
honestly, they SAY processing times are going to go down now that they are infusing more money and hiring more people and clearing the back logs but guess what, the processing time for our VO just went UP by another month :'(
Processing times listed on the website are not accurate and never have been. Straight forward applications with no document requests and no interviews take much less time usually. It's also way too soon to expect any drastic changes.