Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
Hello there

I have been a long time member in this forum. (see my profile). Few questions to experts here on behalf of my relatives as they are in a strange condition right now.

Here is the scenario
1. Wife coming on student visa - visa is issued for Sept 2023 intake
2. Husband applied for SOWP - currently the file is with immigration office for approval
3. 2 Kids (Aged 6 and 3).
4. Fees is paid online to the college around 10k CAD
5. GIC with bank around 10K

Because of their financial situations and life changed after the visa is issued, they are planning to drop this option of coming to Canada on student visa.
Here are the questions (please reply to this thread and answer in sequence for easy follow up

1. Does husband need to have LMIA to work in Canada?
2. How much additional reserve funds in CAD they must bring along for survival for at least 6 months?
3. If they back off now, what are the chances of getting the refund on paid fees to the college
4. How quickly can the husband start working on SOWP. (does it take time to get permits and start the work?
5. Should husband and wife purchase the health insurance or is it covered by the college
6. For their kids, should they pay for elementary school education or is it free.
7. What about the health insurance for kids - is it covered or should they pay for it.

TIA

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello there

I have been a long time member in this forum. (see my profile). Few questions to experts here on behalf of my relatives as they are in a strange condition right now.

Here is the scenario
1. Wife coming on student visa - visa is issued for Sept 2023 intake
2. Husband applied for SOWP - currently the file is with immigration office for approval
3. 2 Kids (Aged 6 and 3).
4. Fees is paid online to the college around 10k CAD
5. GIC with bank around 10K

Because of their financial situations and life changed after the visa is issued, they are planning to drop this option of coming to Canada on student visa.
Here are the questions (please reply to this thread and answer in sequence for easy follow up

1. Does husband need to have LMIA to work in Canada?
2. How much additional reserve funds in CAD they must bring along for survival for at least 6 months?
3. If they back off now, what are the chances of getting the refund on paid fees to the college
4. How quickly can the husband start working on SOWP. (does it take time to get permits and start the work?
5. Should husband and wife purchase the health insurance or is it covered by the college
6. For their kids, should they pay for elementary school education or is it free.
7. What about the health insurance for kids - is it covered or should they pay for it.

TIA
1. Yes. He neds a job offer from an employer in Canada, LMIA from the employer, and must then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer. He cannot use the SOWP to work in Canada if his wife is not going to study.
2. It will depend on the city and age of the children. It's also confusing to understand if you are still asking about coming on the study permit or if you are asking about the husband trying to obtain a closed work permit.
3. Depends on the school's policies. You will need to research this on the school's website.

The rest of your questions are confusing since you say they are planning on dropping the question of coming to Canada on a student visa. If the wife isn't going to study, the husband cannot work on a SOWP.

glenn9090

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/06/2014
Doc's Request.
19/11/2014
Nomination.....
08/10/2014
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
14/11/2014
Med's Request
14/01/2015
Med's Done....
31/01/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
Thanks @scylla. I know your profile since I started to apply for my PR

Both husband and wife are planning to drop the plan to come to Canada as their financial conditions have changed.

City: Calgary
Children's ages: 6 and 3 yrs.

Edit: sorry for the confusion on the questions as they revealed to me just now and I thought of asking here for quick replies. These questions may have been asked in the past but looking for a quick response.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks @scylla. I know your profile since I started to apply for my PR

Both husband and wife are planning to drop the plan to come to Canada as their financial conditions have changed.
So then the SOWP is useless. The husband cannot use it to work. If he wants to work, he must secure a job offer from an employer in Canada, and approved LMIA, and must then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer. Given how long all of these steps take, very strongly suggest they wait until he has an approved closed work permit before making the move to Canada.

Children will be able to attend elementary school for free and will have health care coverage if he comes on a closed work permit.

For the tuition refund, it will again depend on the school's policies. They need to research this on the school web site.

Reactions: glenn9090