+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background Checks -EXPLAINED >>>

dave_lewis

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
Hey All,

Have a question

some of you wait for 9 to 12 months after sending medical to get passport request.?

So of you wait for 3-4 months after medicals to get passport request.?

So are the background checks done before medicals or after?

Whats checks are done after medicals?

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
dave_lewis said:
Hey All,

Have a question

some of you wait for 9 to 12 months after sending medical to get passport request.? WHEN SECURITY CHECKS DONE AFTER MEDICAL

So of you wait for 3-4 months after medicals to get passport request.? AFTER SECURITY CHECKS

So are the background checks done before medicals or after? DEPENDS UPON CASE TO CASE

Whats checks are done after medicals? SOME CASES SECURITY AND SOME CASE DIRECT PPR1

harmanteg

Aug 20, 2013
Gujarat (INDIA)
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
U115
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/6/2013
Doc's Request.
25/5/2015,21/8/2015
Nomination.....
Expected Soon
AOR Received.
11/9/2013
IELTS Request
sent vth file
File Transfer...
waiting desperately
Med's Request
waiting desperately
Med's Done....
waiting desperately
Interview........
waiting desperately
Passport Req..
waiting desperately
VISA ISSUED...
waiting desperately
LANDED..........
waiting desperately
qorax said:
Background & Security Checks

Note: Our Background Check comprises of 2 parts:
1. The Standard Documentation Checks,
2. The Security & Criminality Checks.

Standard Documentation Checks:
Our background check is done at the CHC stage. It commences the moment our file gets the 1st BFD by the VO. An indicator of which is the e-CAS that shows "In Progress". All docs been checked & our NOC being tallied against the MI, if the VO finds our case 'eligible' for Canadian PR, the file becomes 'Accepted'; and then it goes for standard background checks, viz. Exp, Quals, Adaptability, Qualitative Considerations etc.

The process involves many things. If our case file is well presented and the enclosures vouch the quality-quantity, adequate POF docs etc., there might not be a requirement of 'actually' calling the employers, references etc. The VOs have a way with that, they are experienced enough to ascertain the logical disposition of our case. But, if there are any concerns of his/her, s/he is likely to ask for additional docs, do further scrutiny vide any means [calling, visiting etc.] & might ask for an Interview.

-Culmination: When 'fully' satisfied, we get the 'Medical Request'.
-Timeframe: Can be anything around 3-8* months, for the 'fast track' system (Avg. 4-5 months).
-eCAS: Continues to Show 'In Process'.
*The older system has a queue, thus can be longer.

Security & Criminality Checks:
A part of the b/ground checks is the 'Security Check'. It commences after our med results are submitted to the CHC. This is a major activity -mainly concerning our 'safe inclusion' into the Canadian Soil; vis-a-vis, Political, Socio-Econmical, Anti-Social disposition, perceived Threat to Canada's integrity etc. This gets us the SDEC, CDEC & SECCRIM.

This is a serious & time-consuming stage, involving many agencies, including CSIS, Interpol, NASC, Database Checking & touch-base with Local Police. Many things are considered here... the No. of countries visited, Applicant coming from 'certain' countries, ex-Servicemen [including Law Enforcement services], Prolonged stay in a country w/out sufficient docs to prove cause, frequent traveling to certain nations, your *Name (?), Inter-Religion/Nationality Marriages etc.

If everything is simple & straight, the file soon gets into the 'final review' stage. If there are any 'red flags', our case goes into a 'spin'. Then our file might go to the local Police/CID agencies; the outcome/timeframe of which is beyond the control of CIC. And thereby the timeframe can be anything [sometimes beyond 1yr]. But, usually this stage should be over by 5 months max. However, a point to be noted is that we can also be called for an Interview [at this stage], due to this reason.

-Culmination: Only upon security clearance we receive the PPR.
-Timeframe: Around 2-6 months. Avg. 3 months. [With new system, sometimes PPR is clubbed with Meds]
-eCAS: Still 'In Process', but 'Med Results Recd.' inside.

*Yes, that's how a certain Mr. Sharukh Khan was detained for 4.5 hrs in an US port. He was a VIP, thus 4.5 hrs. For u & me -things could be different.
The Process in a Nutshell:

Stage-1: [CIO stage] Send Initial Apps+Processing Fees to CIO-NS > Qualitative Check > Issue of AOR+120 days Letter >

Stage-2: [CHC stage onwards] Send Full Docs+RPRF to the Local Visa Office > File on Queue > e-Cas: "Received by Visa Office" > Eligibility Check+PSDEC > Issue of 2nd AOR > Background Check > Issue of Additional docs Request [if any] > 1st BF'D > e-Cas: "In Process" > Send Addnl. Docs > Issue of Med Request > 2nd BF'D >

Stage-3: Meds Sent > e-Cas: "Medical Results Recd." > Issue of PPR* > Send Passport/s > Security Check > Visa/s Stamped > e-Cas: "Decision Made" >
*The Meds & PPR are sometimes 'clubbed' together.

Stage-4: Return of 'Stamped' Passport/s+COPR > Landing at the POE > e-Cas: "Completed".

Qorax
Thanx Qorax
This was a very useful and helpful information

lenijames

Sep 17, 2013
nekeol said:
PCC AND CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION REPORTS ARE FOR CRIMINALITY CHECKS
SECURITY CHECKS ARE DIFFERENT THAN CRIMINALITY. SECURITY CHECKS TAKE AVERAGE IN INDIA 6 MONTHS.
YOU SHOULD EXPECT ONE YEAR FROM THE DATE YOU HAVE SUBMITTED YOUR UPDATED DOCUMENTS, 6 MONTHS FOR SECURITY, 3 MONTHS FOR REVIEW AND 3 MONTHS FOR PPR 1. THIS IS PREDICTIONS APPROXIMATE BUT NOT EXACT. DUE TO CRIMINALITY, OR SECURITY ADDITIONAL CHECKING IT MAY TAKE MORE TIME AS WELL

[It seems the way CHC works can not be predicted by anyone. It is a useless exercise to predict when some one is going to get DMs. Rather it would be better to clear doubts regarding documentations, landing etc etc. No one can predict the way CHC Works. They have their own modus operandi according to set criterions and urgency which nobody knows. As per the above information I should to wait for atleast 9 months to get a DM. i had sent my updated documents on September 11th along with passsports + RPPF + PCC. Within 23 days I got DM in my favour. This shows that all background, security checks have been made before medicals. To quote I have a foreign travel history of 4 years. Things speeded up after the medicals for me which were done on August 17nth. I am a June 2010 applicants. So it goes to show that if you complete your documentations with precision and utmost care(I had provided proofs of each and every things quite elaborately), once your get ppr request then you will be confirmed to get your DM. It seems the CHC is now working on LIFO basis.
I did not use any consultant and did all my paper works on my own.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
lenijames said:
nekeol said:
[It seems the way CHC works can not be predicted by anyone. It is a useless exercise to predict when some one is going to get DMs. Rather it would be better to clear doubts regarding documentations, landing etc etc. No one can predict the way CHC Works. They have their own modus operandi according to set criterions and urgency which nobody knows. As per the above information I should to wait for atleast 9 months to get a DM. i had sent my updated documents on September 11th along with passsports + RPPF + PCC. Within 23 days I got DM in my favour. This shows that all background, security checks have been made before medicals. To quote I have a foreign travel history of 4 years. Things speeded up after the medicals for me which were done on August 17nth. I am a June 2010 applicants. So it goes to show that if you complete your documentations with precision and utmost care(I had provided proofs of each and every things quite elaborately), once your get ppr request then you will be confirmed to get your DM. It seems the CHC is now working on LIFO basis.
I did not use any consultant and did all my paper works on my own.
Yes what you said is true for me as well, but what is your point?

People do come on this forum to get an idea of when things will move forward in their case, information given by members just helps others get an idea, based on which experience is most similar to theirs. CIC is not even following their own timelines (Bf'ds, etc.), then how can an immigration forum dictate their timelines?

If you need exact information, pay an immigration consultant enormous amounts to give you predictions.

Dilup

Star Member
Nov 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
..-08-2011
AOR Received.
16-09-2011
IELTS Request
With the doc
Med's Request
16th June 2014
Med's Done....
17th June 2014/ medical received line appeared on 22nd June.
Interview........
CANCELED
Passport Req..
25/06/2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/07/2014
LANDED..........
Most probably on November 2014
rizmayo said:

People do come on this forum to get an idea of when things will move forward in their case, information given by members just helps others get an idea, based on which experience is most similar to theirs. CIC is not even following their own timelines (Bf'ds, etc.), then how can an immigration forum dictate their timelines?

If you need exact information, pay an immigration consultant enormous amounts to give you predictions.
Sorry to indicate my friend, but I don't think even an immigration consultant cannot predicit the time frame......

lenijames

Sep 17, 2013
rizmayo said:

I just mean that no one can predict the time frame. And off course not an immigration consultant. The only thing we can do is to submit the documents to CHC full proof and then wait and wait. Some people get it fast while for some it takes ages. However I feel the background and security checks are over once the ppr request is made. Otherwise how can they give DMs to so many may2010 and june 2010 candidates who have done their medicals during july and august 2013 and sent documents by late august and sept2013.
I am just saying that we got lucky as our file was picked up early according to some criterion only known by CHC whereas there are so many deserving files before us.

Leni

Projapoti

Star Member
Sep 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29 Apr 2011
File Transfer...
10 Jun 2011
Med's Request
01 May 2013
Med's Done....
23 May 2013
Passport Req..
20 Mar 2014
VISA ISSUED...
23 Apr 2014
LANDED..........
Planning to land by 20th May
taivoi said:
Order gcms notes, and you will find out whats the reason.
Dear Friends,

I have received the GCMS notes and it seems that my “Criminality and Security Screening” “Not Started” yet. The due date is showing 2013/09/27. However till today my e-cas status is showing “In-Process” since 1st May 2013. Can anyone tell me what happens in “Criminality and Security Screening” stage and how long it can take to complete? FYI, I already submitted my RPRF, Medical and PCC to VO on last May.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
Dilup said:
Sorry to indicate my friend, but I don't think even an immigration consultant cannot predicit the time frame......
I know that, I am being sarcastic.

Dilup

Star Member
Nov 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
..-08-2011
AOR Received.
16-09-2011
IELTS Request
With the doc
Med's Request
16th June 2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
CANCELED
Passport Req..
25/06/2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/07/2014
LANDED..........
Projapoti said:
Dear Friends,

I have received the GCMS notes and it seems that my “Criminality and Security Screening” “Not Started” yet. The due date is showing 2013/09/27. However till today my e-cas status is showing “In-Process” since 1st May 2013. Can anyone tell me what happens in “Criminality and Security Screening” stage and how long it can take to complete? FYI, I already submitted my RPRF, Medical and PCC to VO on last May.
Since ur med is done already, I think u don't nid to wait long....

Projapoti

Star Member
Sep 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29 Apr 2011
File Transfer...
10 Jun 2011
Med's Request
01 May 2013
Med's Done....
23 May 2013
Passport Req..
20 Mar 2014
VISA ISSUED...
23 Apr 2014
LANDED..........
Planning to land by 20th May
Dilup said:
Since ur med is done already, I think u don't nid to wait long....
Thanks Dilup for your reply. Do you have any idea about what happens in “Criminality and Security Screening” stage and how long it can take to complete?

Hello 123

Aug 14, 2013
Hi,

Even I came across the term 'due date' on my GCMS notes.

Can someone please explain what this denotes.

Thanks in advance for your help.

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Projapoti said:
Dear Friends,

ur security screening is started in May along with UDR,
criminaltiy dont worry it is passed if u have alredy submitted your Police certificates clear with out any objection from the police concerned

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Hello 123 said:
Hi,

Even I came across the term 'due date' on my GCMS notes.

Can someone please explain what this denotes.

Thanks in advance for your help.
@hello123
hope this Qorax Details will clear your point related to BFD.
--------------
All about BF'D :
-Only for some of us who didn't know...

BF'D is an acronym for "Bring Forward Date" in the Canadian PR processing system. Usually our file moves from BF'D to BF'D, as it is the day/date next earmarked by our VO to check our file. This actually serves to eliminate unnecessary clogging of the system... that if there is nothing further to add in a particular file, the VO moves to another case file to work on, rather than holding onto the same one.

What happens on a BF'D
In simple terms it is the date that the file will be looked at [again], assessed, reviewed by your case handling officer at the CHC. S/he will check if anything is lacking, any further queries to be made [to you], any documents to be asked or if any decisive action is to be made/taken. Basically it serves as a 'Reminder Tool' to the case processing officer & that your file is not 'forgotten'.

Now, if the VO observes that something is lacking [that which was asked for], s/he will probably attempt to contact you on this BF'D day and mark another BF'D on your file. This depends on the subject of check [the all time phrase 'Case-to-Case' basis]. Sometimes, if the check report warrants, the VO might not give you another opportunity and take a decisive action. Note: The situation is fluid & no one can really provide a sanguine comment on it.

Will the file be 'only' looked at a BF'D
No. If something like reports, results, documents etc. [eg. background/security checks] comes to the CHC in between, your file gets opened and assessed. However, if nothing is received in between, you get another BF'D. Note once again: If they are waiting for something and it comes as expected then the file continues to be processed further, if not then the file will be next reviewed on the BFD 'only'.

An Example
Every time we get a letter/email from the CHC -it carries a 'time limit' to submit something, right? Say 45 days, 60 days or 90 days... the ending day of that time limit is our next BF'D. As an example, if the CHC sent you a medical request [alongwith the forms] on 02 Jan 2010; and it carries a 60 day's deadline -it means your file has been marked with the next BF'D of 01 Mar 2010.

However, if your medical results are received before the BF'D [01 Mar 2010], say on 05 Feb 2010 -your file will be further processed on that day itself [05 Feb 2010]. If the med results didn't come by earlier, then it will be opened on 01 Mar 2010 -the BF'D day.

How many BF'Ds we get
Some BF'Ds are 'routine', as exampled above. Then there are some which is either case generated or because of us. By 'case generated' I mean, [eg.] if one's Security Report is pending from an external agency -the VO gives a BF'D & waits. If the report comes in time, action is taken. If it doesn't, one gets another BF'D. And the situation continues...

By 'because of us'* I mean if the VO had asked us for a document [or a couple of them]. It is wise that we proceed to submit the document/s asap. Reason? The case moves faster [read: it'll open before the BF'D]. If we don't, s/he may try to contact us on the BF'D day & log another BF'D on our file [result: Delay/s].

Delays due to BF'Ds
As stated above, except the 'routine' ones, other BF'Ds do delay our process. At the least [best scenario] each BF'D would be a month apart. Some might be more. The ideal action on our part is to submit anything that has been asked for asap. That would negate a BF'D. However, there can be times that something we just might not be able to send asap. In that case we 'must' send it by the 'deadline' -that'd avoid another BF'D, won't it?

*Many Consultants [so called agents] erroneously advise us otherwise. Stating, "Oh you got the meds, don't worry you have time till 60 days to do it". That's a 'bull'. I'd advise -do it asap, if the speed of your case process matters to you.

This post I chose to write 'coz many members are either clueless about the BF'D issue or take it lightly. Which, albeit causes delays [without our actual intention]. Moreover, there are repeated queries on the subject in various threads. I hope this helped...
Qorax
----------

Dilup

Star Member
Nov 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
..-08-2011
AOR Received.
16-09-2011
IELTS Request
With the doc
Med's Request
16th June 2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
CANCELED
Passport Req..
25/06/2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/07/2014
LANDED..........
nekeol said:
@ hello123
hope this Qorax Details will clear your point related to BFD.
--------------
All about BF'D :
-Only for some of us who didn't know...

BF'D is an acronym for "Bring Forward Date" in the Canadian PR processing system. Usually our file moves from BF'D to BF'D, as it is the day/date next earmarked by our VO to check our file. This actually serves to eliminate unnecessary clogging of the system... that if there is nothing further to add in a particular file, the VO moves to another case file to work on, rather than holding onto the same one.

What happens on a BF'D
In simple terms it is the date that the file will be looked at [again], assessed, reviewed by your case handling officer at the CHC. S/he will check if anything is lacking, any further queries to be made [to you], any documents to be asked or if any decisive action is to be made/taken. Basically it serves as a 'Reminder Tool' to the case processing officer & that your file is not 'forgotten'.

Now, if the VO observes that something is lacking [that which was asked for], s/he will probably attempt to contact you on this BF'D day and mark another BF'D on your file. This depends on the subject of check [the all time phrase 'Case-to-Case' basis]. Sometimes, if the check report warrants, the VO might not give you another opportunity and take a decisive action. Note: The situation is fluid & no one can really provide a sanguine comment on it.

Will the file be 'only' looked at a BF'D
No. If something like reports, results, documents etc. [eg. background/security checks] comes to the CHC in between, your file gets opened and assessed. However, if nothing is received in between, you get another BF'D. Note once again: If they are waiting for something and it comes as expected then the file continues to be processed further, if not then the file will be next reviewed on the BFD 'only'.

An Example
Every time we get a letter/email from the CHC -it carries a 'time limit' to submit something, right? Say 45 days, 60 days or 90 days... the ending day of that time limit is our next BF'D. As an example, if the CHC sent you a medical request [alongwith the forms] on 02 Jan 2010; and it carries a 60 day's deadline -it means your file has been marked with the next BF'D of 01 Mar 2010.

However, if your medical results are received before the BF'D [01 Mar 2010], say on 05 Feb 2010 -your file will be further processed on that day itself [05 Feb 2010]. If the med results didn't come by earlier, then it will be opened on 01 Mar 2010 -the BF'D day.

How many BF'Ds we get
Some BF'Ds are 'routine', as exampled above. Then there are some which is either case generated or because of us. By 'case generated' I mean, [eg.] if one's Security Report is pending from an external agency -the VO gives a BF'D & waits. If the report comes in time, action is taken. If it doesn't, one gets another BF'D. And the situation continues...

By 'because of us'* I mean if the VO had asked us for a document [or a couple of them]. It is wise that we proceed to submit the document/s asap. Reason? The case moves faster [read: it'll open before the BF'D]. If we don't, s/he may try to contact us on the BF'D day & log another BF'D on our file [result: Delay/s].

Delays due to BF'Ds
As stated above, except the 'routine' ones, other BF'Ds do delay our process. At the least [best scenario] each BF'D would be a month apart. Some might be more. The ideal action on our part is to submit anything that has been asked for asap. That would negate a BF'D. However, there can be times that something we just might not be able to send asap. In that case we 'must' send it by the 'deadline' -that'd avoid another BF'D, won't it?

*Many Consultants [so called agents] erroneously advise us otherwise. Stating, "Oh you got the meds, don't worry you have time till 60 days to do it". That's a 'bull'. I'd advise -do it asap, if the speed of your case process matters to you.

This post I chose to write 'coz many members are either clueless about the BF'D issue or take it lightly. Which, albeit causes delays [without our actual intention]. Moreover, there are repeated queries on the subject in various threads. I hope this helped...
Qorax
----------
Thanks a lot for gr8 information. +1 for this