+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background check

amigos72

May 3, 2018
We are sponsoring (G5) a refugee from Pakistan to come to Canada. He is now in Thailand. His interview was successful (it seems), and his bio-metric data was taken. The immigration officer told him that he would now need to wait for his background check done, and then he would be called by IOM for the medicals. We have already been waiting for the results of the background check around 9 weeks. I am dying out of stress for him, as keeping him safe in Thailand is a daily struggle (Thai immigration not too kind to UNHCR refugees). Do you think, it will still take a long time? What is it that they are checking so much? What is this background check about? Are they talking to Thai authorities? He has never been anywhere else in his life except his native Pakistan, and now Thailand (where his rights are severely limited and abused). Thanks for your tips... I am so worried!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Background checks are very individual and it's therefore very hard to say how long it will take since a lot of this depends on the countries Canada has to work with to complete the checks. We've seen processing take anywhere from a few weeks to over a year. They will be checking with Thailand and Pakistan.

Reactions: amigos72

amigos72

May 3, 2018
Background checks are very individual and it's therefore very hard to say how long it will take since a lot of this depends on the countries Canada has to work with to complete the checks. We've seen processing take anywhere from a few weeks to over a year. They will be checking with Thailand and Pakistan.
Thanks a lot for the answers... It is interesting to see how they are checking information on people that are fleeing from these countries, as they are principally worried about their lives and safety there... I guess, they do understand the dynamics, and it is not the first time! :) I am just so worried...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks a lot for the answers... It is interesting to see how they are checking information on people that are fleeing from these countries, as they are principally worried about their lives and safety there... I guess, they do understand the dynamics, and it is not the first time! :) I am just so worried...
Even if they are fleeing a country - IRCC still has to verify the person's background to ensure there are no criminality issues, etc. that could make them inadmissible or impact their case. This is a standard step that's taken with all refugees (actually - all immigrants).