+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background Check

Lilian

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm waiting over 7 months now because of my background check. I would like to write a letter to CSIS. Which address is the right one? P.O. Box or Ogilvie Rd? Thanks!

Lilian

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
I just called them and I can send a fax...Is here somebody who is waiting because of the background check?

irajmirza

Star Member
Aug 26, 2009
Hi,

There are lots of people waiting here with a general reason of "Background" check !!!
For me it has een almost 15 months.

good luck

eyeoftheocean

Sep 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Done....
Dec 2008 2nd Meds done Jan 2011 Medical Results have been received March 11
Interview........
AIP interview Aug 09 Security interview May 2010
LANDED..........
29-11-2013
Ive been waiting 5 month now for security check , they say it can take up to 16 month on any case depending on your application, there are 3 steps in this process which is, Automated checks, Manual checks and a verbal interview.

I too wrote to CSIS and they sent me a very formal letter explaining their process. :)

Lilian

Star Member
Jul 20, 2010
Up to 16 months????? I thought after AIP approval it would take 2-3 months...I just not understand what takes that long...I'm from western Europe, they can have any information about me in minutes, everything is in computer, where I lived, worked, etc.

S

SaugaBoss

eyeoftheocean said:
Ive been waiting 5 month now for security check , they say it can take up to 16 month on any case depending on your application, there are 3 steps in this process which is, Automated checks, Manual checks and a verbal interview.

I too wrote to CSIS and they sent me a very formal letter explaining their process. :)
did they break down how long each step takes ? like FES is 28 days etC???? and verbal interviews are sometimes waived i believe

eyeoftheocean

Sep 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
LANDED..........
29-11-2013
SaugaBoss said:
did they break down how long each step takes ? like FES is 28 days etC???? and verbal interviews are sometimes waived i believe
Yes they can waive the Security interview if they see there is no concern :) And NO the letter does NOT state how long each step takes , I'm assuming it depends on the other agencies they use ! Just sit back and wait , thats all they basically say, However CSIS have covered their backs in saying it can take up to 16 month as thereafter you have every right to contact SIRC the CSIS watch dog.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I thought they did the background checks before AIP?

According to the notes that came with my AIP letter, all security checks had been done.

All I had to do was wait 4 weeks for the landing.

eyeoftheocean

Sep 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
LANDED..........
29-11-2013
angelbrat said:
I thought they did the background checks before AIP?

According to the notes that came with my AIP letter, all security checks had been done.

All I had to do was wait 4 weeks for the landing.
NO background/security checks are done after the AIP. Some people sail through and others bring up red flags, maybe thats why you didnt wait so long :)

S

SaugaBoss

these freakin background checks r dumb in my case. i was born n raised in USA never lived anywhere else. graduated college at age 20 with 2 degrees, go to canada all the time, am in canada right now waiting for the process to finish, have no record :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

only thing i think is i went to pakistan last year to buy my wedding outfit and jewelry and i am also a muslim female. just discrimination :mad: :mad: :mad:

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
SaugaBoss said:
these freakin background checks r dumb in my case. i was born n raised in USA never lived anywhere else. graduated college at age 20 with 2 degrees, go to canada all the time, am in canada right now waiting for the process to finish, have no record :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

only thing i think is i went to pakistan last year to buy my wedding outfit and jewelry and i am also a muslim female. just discrimination :mad: :mad: :mad:

you can't claim discrimination <<yet>> I know you're getting frustrated that there are people flying through the process, but not everyone gets processed at the same speed. I got my AOR in mid June and didn't get PPR until 3 months and 3 days later. You've only hit 2.5 months. Look at Dralon, his wife got AOR around June 1st, 20ish days before me and they're's STILL waiting. That's almost 5 months since AOR.

It takes the time it takes, but getting mad about it doesn't help any because its completely out of your control.

eyeoftheocean

Sep 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
LANDED..........
29-11-2013
SaugaBoss said:

Getting angry won't help your case , just forget about your app and get on with your life.

I am English and still am having to go through pergurtory waiting for all checks to be finalized , but getting angry does not help , I doubt discrimination is what your accusing them of is the right word , Don't forget there are hundreds of thousands of people immigrating to Canada and all are in a que just like you and us !

S

SaugaBoss

ill be 3 months next week and i know dralon has been waiting forever since Feb!!!! im already in canada thats the only thing i can enter and leave whenever i want, how can i be a threat if im in the country thats the only stupidity i see :) sorry guys

i know im jus venting off out of frustration...

eyeoftheocean

Sep 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
LANDED..........
29-11-2013
Unfortunatly some people sneak through the net of immigration , perhaps this is why all checks are done thoroughly.

Many immigrants are in our situation , we just have to be patient , if you want to live in Canada so bad you will wait your time out and your loved ones if not in Canada will also have to be patient , abscence makes the heart grow stronger people that is if you have a genuine relationship!

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
eyeoftheocean said:
NO background/security checks are done after the AIP. Some people sail through and others bring up red flags, maybe thats why you didnt wait so long :)
Well I just checked my papers again and my background checks were done before the AIP. In fact, the AIP letter actually states you have been approved for permanent residence, all checks are now complete. Letter forwarded to Vancouver... open work permit.....blah blah

This was the first communication we had from CIC after sending the application in.

So in my case, the background checks were done before I received anything, including the letter to my partner saying he was approved as a sponsor.