+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background Check

Justin01

Mar 13, 2016
Good day all,

I am an American who will be immigrating to Canada in the very near future. I am working on the paperwork currently.

Several weeks ago, I mailed my fingerprints and credit card information to the FBI at the address on the instructions to initiate my background check. I understand that this process can take months.

However, I have no confirmation that the FBI ever received my fingerprint card and payment. I would hate for months to pass only to realize that my information was lost in the mail. I cannot find any contact information on the FBI's website to confirm their receipt of my documents. I expected that my credit card would be charged pretty quickly, which would be my indication that they received everything. But to date, my card has not been charged.

Has anybody had any experience with this? Does it takes weeks/months for just the payment to process?

Thanks in advance!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not sure what the current wait times are with the FBI, but I suspect that it's still in the ~12-14 week time frame. Your credit card will not be charged until they actually open up your package and start the process. The credit card processing is the first step of `their' process. Even when the card is charged, it does not mean (or guarantee) that the prints were/are legible, so if the prints are bad, you'll have to start all over again.

Good luck!

Paguy57

Feb 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-04-2015
AOR Received.
27-07-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
02-21-2016 DM You are approved and have received confirmation of Permanent Resident...
LANDED..........
17-03-2016
Justin01 said:
Good day all,

I am an American who will be immigrating to Canada in the very near future. I am working on the paperwork currently.

Several weeks ago, I mailed my fingerprints and credit card information to the FBI at the address on the instructions to initiate my background check. I understand that this process can take months.

However, I have no confirmation that the FBI ever received my fingerprint card and payment. I would hate for months to pass only to realize that my information was lost in the mail. I cannot find any contact information on the FBI's website to confirm their receipt of my documents. I expected that my credit card would be charged pretty quickly, which would be my indication that they received everything. But to date, my card has not been charged.

Has anybody had any experience with this? Does it takes weeks/months for just the payment to process?

It took 3 months for my prints to be processed in the States.

Thanks in advance!

Paguy57

Feb 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-04-2015
AOR Received.
27-07-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
02-21-2016 DM You are approved and have received confirmation of Permanent Resident...
LANDED..........
17-03-2016
Took 3 months to process in the States!

Triscut

Mar 19, 2015
The wait is awful..
My husband had an issue and there was contact information on the website (he emailed them) and actually got a reply that way..
You may want to try that to see if they received it with fingers crossed.
Best of luck.

Justin01

Mar 13, 2016
Given the very delicate nature of this process, you would think there would be some safeguards in place to ensure everything is running smoothly. Like a simple notification that certain documents have been received and are pending review. Would that be so hard???

Anyways, thank you all for responding.

Triscut

Mar 19, 2015
Smoothly?!
Ha. Justin, you crack me up.
There's nothing smooth about any of this.

Really, try to find a contact email on the FBI website, they were actually pretty helpful.

Side note:
Have you got your medical appointment and results?
I know the medical system is very different in the States, but that might be something else that you have to wait for if you don't get it done right away.

Justin01

Mar 13, 2016
I went for my medical appointment back in December. But like the background check, I have no confirmation that the results ended up where they need to. I visited a doctor who took payment and processed some paperwork, then went to a hospital for blood work. I understand that everything should have been sent in for me. Is that true?

Thanks

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The doctor is supposed to give you something that proves the medical was done, which you include in the application. The results are supposed to be sent to the medical processing office without you seeing them, yes.

Justin01

Mar 13, 2016
My FBI record finally came back. Only took 4 months!

But now I am concerned about my medical exam. I had it done back in December 2015, and we are just now ready to mail all the immigration paperwork. Given the 9 month processing time, that means my application won't be processed until Jan or Feb of 2017. By then, my medical exam will have expired (only good for 12 months). If that happens, will my entire application be scrapped, or will the CIC simply make me get another medical exam before I am allowed entry?

I guess what I am asking is whether or not I should just get another medical exam done before we mail the paperwork.

hicks74

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-07-2015
Med's Request
21-03-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016
Interview........
21-03-2016
Passport Req..
19-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-05-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2016
Justin01 said:
My FBI record finally came back. Only took 4 months!

But now I am concerned about my medical exam. I had it done back in December 2015, and we are just now ready to mail all the immigration paperwork. Given the 9 month processing time, that means my application won't be processed until Jan or Feb of 2017. By then, my medical exam will have expired (only good for 12 months). If that happens, will my entire application be scrapped, or will the CIC simply make me get another medical exam before I am allowed entry?

I guess what I am asking is whether or not I should just get another medical exam done before we mail the paperwork.
They won't scrap the application, they will just ask for a new medical. In my wife's case, we did a medical exam in Nov 2014, then applied in May 2015. The medical expired before we had an interview, but after the interview passed, they just ask us to send a new medical.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Justin01 said:
Given the 9 month processing time, that means my application won't be processed until Jan or Feb of 2017. By then, my medical exam will have expired (only good for 12 months). If that happens, will my entire application be scrapped, or will the CIC simply make me get another medical exam before I am allowed entry?
Ottawa averages 6-8 months.

If your app is approved close to the medical expiring, CIC will most likely just extend it for a year. They usually only ask for a re-medical if the medical expires well before the app is finished processing.