+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background Check

share3838

Jan 21, 2013
What will be part of CIC background check? Will they also check our previous employment outside Canada?

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No one really knows for CIC. It's probably unlikely but it's definitely possible. Be honest with the information you provide and you will be fine.

share3838

Jan 21, 2013
Yes, the main concern I have is the company for which I worked has been blacklisted now and does not exist any more....

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wouldn't be concerned about that.

Your experience out with Canada does not impact your CEC application.

Worse case scenario would be they will try to contact your previous employer to verify you have provided correct information. If they are unable to contact them they MAY request information from you. However, it's pretty unlikely this will happen. Detail all experience and proceed with your application.

Relax. You will be fine!

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From what I am aware the information provided in the background dec is more to do with the security check.

The main checks that take place, I believe, are: -

Criminality
Security
Medical
Eligibility (which can only be completed when all of the above are complete).

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Not necessarily just those... there is RCMP screening, document screening to check for authenticity especially identity documents like birth certificates(BC). The only way they can be sure is by sending someone on the ground to perform the check. This is where CSIS comes in.

jsm0085 said:
From what I am aware the information provided in the background dec is more to do with the security check.

The main checks that take place, I believe, are: -

Criminality
Security
Medical
Eligibility (which can only be completed when all of the above are complete).

maker87

Sep 4, 2012
From what I've heard:

Criminality --> Home Country Police Certificate + RCMP Screening
Security --> CSIS Background Screening
Medical --> Authorized Doctor
Eligibility --> CEC Pass/Fail Eligibility Test

They send medical and others once Eligibility is established.

Is this correct?

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:
Not necessarily just those... there is RCMP screening, document screening to check for authenticity especially identity documents like birth certificates(BC). The only way they can be sure is by sending someone on the ground to perform the check. This is where CSIS comes in.
Criminality = RCMP
Eligibility = document screening.
Security = CSIS

The CSIS is concerned about people who pose a threat to national security, not people who have valid work experience with a legitimate company which has since shutdown.

Just be honest on the forms and you will be fine. If you don't declare something and it's discovered, you MAY be deemed inadmissible.

savinca

Sep 18, 2012
Dear all,

Found some info about the CSIS background check

there is a department called Security Intelligence Review Committee (SIRC), where we can file complaint for CSIS related issues.

CSIS conducts several security screenings:

Government Screening,
Sensitive Sites Screening,
Foreign Screening,
Immigration and Citizenship Screening, and
Screening of Refugee Claimants.

My question is that I passed the Government Screening for several government jobs I applied before. I remember it only took them 2 or 3 months, no problem at all, I passed Secret Level (with past 10 years info)

Would this make it easier for CSIS to do my Immigration and Citizenship Screening for CEC?

Will a complaint speed up the background check?

Thanks!

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
Your security clearance screening has nothing to do with immigration. Security clearance is issued in order to facilitate access to privileged and confidential information, when necessary - such as your job. It might help with some aspects, but it depends on the type of information they will be looking at as part of your application. Will it be comparable? We cant know that.

I also believe that you do not have grounds to submit a complaint. Did you have contact with CSIS? Was your clearance revoked? Was a decision made based on CSIS provided information? If your answer to all of these is negative, then you have no base for a complaint.

CSIS, like any other government department, has its own process and timeline. Their primary mandate is national security! Security checks can sometimes take longer for some people, depending on the volume of verification required.

Scenario: Lets say you do submit a complaint. What's to say they wont take months to investigate your complaint. All the while, your application sitting and collecting dust, until they reach a decision. And when the decision is made, it will have take the same time as a regular check. A little bit of patience goes a long way. But as usual, its your choice. :)

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
jsm0085 said:
The CSIS is concerned about people who pose a threat to national security, not people who have valid work experience with a legitimate company which has since shutdown.

Just be honest on the forms and you will be fine. If you don't declare something and it's discovered, you MAY be deemed inadmissible.
jsm makes a good point. first, not sure what you mean by black listed or how. but, if you did not partake in any "shady" business, you should be just fine. and when i say shady, i mean, activities that directly or indirectly lead to or are of national security concern. like he said, just be honest on the form and if you need to provide more detail, include an explanation letter.

if the business was closed for a violation of a code or an ordinance...you shouldnt worry too much.

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
Under Section 41 of the CSIS Act, SIRC investigates complaints made by “any person” with respect to “any act or thing done by the Service”. Before the Committee investigates, however, two conditions must be met:

the complainant must have first complained in writing to the Director of CSIS, and have not received a response within a period of time that the Committee considers reasonable, or the complainant must be dissatisfied with the Director's response; and

the Committee must be satisfied that the complaint is not trivial, frivolous, vexatious or made in bad faith.

http://www.sirc-csars.gc.ca/cmpplt/index-eng.html

service standard: apprx 90 days. ergo my point...same as reg check.

savinca

Sep 18, 2012
CEC2013 said:
CSIS, like any other government department, has its own process and timeline. Their primary mandate is national security! Security checks can sometimes take longer for some people, depending on the volume of verification required.
Thank you for the reply, I wonder what is their timeline, I read somewhere in this forum says about 129 days for inland processing. My Security check started almost 1 year ago, still no result...I've been living, studying, working in Canada for the past 14, oh well almost 15 years, pay taxes every year, only 1 parking ticket...no army things at all in my entire life.

Maybe I lived in Canada too long? or Maybe I got a easy popular name, too many people with same name?

What you said about filing a complaint, it's true though, useless for now...

Thanks again, Best regards.