+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background check or security check?!

Hana Diabas

Aug 26, 2016
Hello everyone

It has been almost 16 months for our application , it was submitted May5/2018.

It’s becoming extremely difficult emotionally and mentally for both of us. The good thing is I became a Canadian citizen just recently and I believe at this point I can wait for the application from outside Canada. So I’ve been thinking about joining him and not return without him. Although I’m going to give up my awesome job and be separated from my family !

Should I contact CIC and explain my intention about leaving Canada?

What is the difference btw BGC and security check? Our Gckey shows that we pass eligibility and it’s been almost 4 months since BGC started and no update! I’ve heard it might take up to one year which take us to May/2020 and hell no I will not be able to stay away from my husband that long!

This whole process has been extremely hard and I wish no one would go through the pain that I and my husband have been experiencing!

Oh God!

Karimdad.Raufi.AFG

Feb 25, 2019
Hello Hana,
i think background check and security check are the same and we're at the same position, i'm waiting since 29,may,2019, it's almost 15months that i haven't been updated.

EE12345

Star Member
Jun 22, 2019
Hello everyone

It has been almost 16 months for our application , it was submitted May5/2018.

It’s becoming extremely difficult emotionally and mentally for both of us. The good thing is I became a Canadian citizen just recently and I believe at this point I can wait for the application from outside Canada. So I’ve been thinking about joining him and not return without him. Although I’m going to give up my awesome job and be separated from my family !

Should I contact CIC and explain my intention about leaving Canada?

What is the difference btw BGC and security check? Our Gckey shows that we pass eligibility and it’s been almost 4 months since BGC started and no update! I’ve heard it might take up to one year which take us to May/2020 and hell no I will not be able to stay away from my husband that long!

This whole process has been extremely hard and I wish no one would go through the pain that I and my husband have been experiencing!

Oh God!
From my knowledge, Security check falls under Background Check. Though not all applications go under long Security screenings. Some may not go at all. No one can tell for sure the time to complete Security screening. I have heard it can go from 9 to 14 months, but cannot guarantee. CBSA/ CSIS notes give a good picture, but I have never requested or seen them myself.
If you have become Canadian citizen, maybe your spouse can come to Canada on spousal visa or visitor visa or spousal work permit. Hope it helps.

Reactions: Hana Diabas

lion.com

Jul 16, 2019
Ukraine
Category........
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
07-11-2018
AOR Received.
16-01-2019
File Transfer...
04-07-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
22-02-2019
Passport Req..
17-10-2019
Well BGC took one week for some people so I don’t understand!
Sometimes the wait is also about interviews, PFL, complexity of a case... but the most wait of course extensive security check. It is done for certain countries and not every applicant is selected for that. It’s not immigration who does it, it’s by third party.
I understand how u feel... I am married for almost two years and see my husband only 2-3 weeks 2 times a year... not easy.:(

25may2k7_applicant

Jul 14, 2017
Islamabad
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
LVO
App. Filed.......
26-05-2017
File Transfer...
19-10-2017
My security check started on 12th June 2019 and according to MP(Member of Parliament) no one can tell exactly when it will be completed.

Hana Diabas

Aug 26, 2016
Anyone ?!
From my knowledge, Security check falls under Background Check. Though not all applications go under long Security screenings. Some may not go at all. No one can tell for sure the time to complete Security screening. I have heard it can go from 9 to 14 months, but cannot guarantee. CBSA/ CSIS notes give a good picture, but I have never requested or seen them myself.
If you have become Canadian citizen, maybe your spouse can come to Canada on spousal visa or visitor visa or spousal work permit. Hope it helps.
Well since I became a citizen I’m planning on traveling within a month or so to be with my husband and wait for the BGC from overseas!

Chawais

Jul 28, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2016
AOR Received.
29-08-2016
File Transfer...
05-09-2016
Application submitted August 2016
Background check started November 2017

Since then complete silence just to let you know it can take years like mine don't trust your MP or anyone this whole immigration system is fckd up

lion.com

Jul 16, 2019
Ukraine
Category........
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
07-11-2018
AOR Received.
16-01-2019
File Transfer...
04-07-2019
Med's Request
19-02-2019
Med's Done....
22-02-2019
Passport Req..
17-10-2019

Since then complete silence just to let you know it can take years like mine don't trust your MP or anyone this whole immigration system is fckd up
May I ask why such long background check? I know that before December 2016 spousal sponsorship used to take 24 months... but yours is already more than that. Is there any kind of red flags you had? Or you visited many countries? Stay strong!!!

YoYo81

May 22, 2018
Hello guys , unfortunately most of us here waiting for security check as it’s the longer step in overseas spouse/ dependents application and I’m trying to understand why it takes so long ? I did some search to find out what is the expected timeline for this step and I found @Jizmilak who mentioned in his thread about audit report was in 2011 talking about security screening ( http://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/english/parl_oag_201111_02_e_35934.html#hd4b ) , the summary of this report as following:
2.40 Applicants aged 18 years and over are subject to criminal and security checks. (A visa officer can also request checks on someone younger if concerns exist.) First, visa officers examine the information and documentation submitted by the applicant. If they determine that an applicant requires a more detailed investigation, the applicant’s file is referred to partners for security screening.

2.41 The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is responsible for supporting the security screening of persons who may be inadmissible. The Agency is the central liaison for the security screening process in partnership with the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). The results of the security screening are key to visa officers when making a final determination of an applicant’s admissibility.

Timeliness of security screening.
2.53 For permanent residence cases, we noted that there was a formal agreement on service standards in the 2006 memorandum of understanding between CIC and the CBSA, which stated that advice will be provided to visa officers within 9 to 18 months. Through our file review, we found that the CBSA had completed its analysis in less than 9 months in 67 percent of the cases and exceeded 18 months in 19 percent of the cases.
I share this with you guys and hope by reading this report will be more understand what actually happens with our application process, I know most of you will see this not enough because the report is old ( since 2011) so maybe now the process is faster or maybe not , no body knows actually. Anyway, let’s be optimistic and hope to get good news soon . Good luck to you all

Hana Diabas

Aug 26, 2016

Oh my god! Did u contact them?!

I honestly made my decision to leave and stay with my husband! I’m a citizen now I can wait from overseas!

Reactions: lion.com