+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BACKGROUND CHECK IN RELATION T PREVIOUS MARRIAGE

gg.4510

Apr 24, 2019
Hi,
I am 25th September 2018 AOR. Previously in the year 2009, I got married to US National and was granted Green Card (conditional for 02 years) from 2010-12. We had differences in our relationship and therefore before my Green Card expiring, I came back to India and did not get it renewed. However later again in the year 2014, she sponsored me for Green Card but again during the pendency of application, we got divorced from las Vegas (Nevada, her place of residence). She had sent me the divorce papers here in India which I got attested from local notary and sent her back and the Divorce was granted in the year 2015.

Now during the pendency of my present application, i got married in December 2018 and informed Cic about my changed marital status regarding which they had already asked for the documents of my spouse and the same have been submitted to them. Further, I have also disclosed the factum of my previous marriage and had uploaded my Divorce Certificate.

The questions are:-
(a) Will there is delay in my background check ?
(b) Will they check whether I had informed the local office about previous marriage while getting present marriage certificate
(c) Will they verify the genuineness of my PREVIOUS marriage from US Embassy.

(My wife knows about the previous history and we have no issues even with an interview being scheduled for assessing the genuineness of present relationship.

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
Hi,
I am 25th September 2018 AOR. Previously in the year 2009, I got married to US National and was granted Green Card (conditional for 02 years) from 2010-12. We had differences in our relationship and therefore before my Green Card expiring, I came back to India and did not get it renewed. However later again in the year 2014, she sponsored me for Green Card but again during the pendency of application, we got divorced from las Vegas (Nevada, her place of residence). She had sent me the divorce papers here in India which I got attested from local notary and sent her back and the Divorce was granted in the year 2015.

Now during the pendency of my present application, i got married in December 2018 and informed Cic about my changed marital status regarding which they had already asked for the documents of my spouse and the same have been submitted to them. Further, I have also disclosed the factum of my previous marriage and had uploaded my Divorce Certificate.

The questions are:-
(a) Will there is delay in my background check ?
(b) Will they check whether I had informed the local office about previous marriage while getting present marriage certificate
(c) Will they verify the genuineness of my PREVIOUS marriage from US Embassy.

(My wife knows about the previous history and we have no issues even with an interview being scheduled for assessing the genuineness of present relationship.
For FSW, the only factor that they would want to confirm is your current marital status. The Divorce Certificate of your previous marriage would only be needed to ascertain that you were indeed divorced before your present one (without which your current marriage would be invalid). That's it.

gg.4510

Apr 24, 2019
For FSW, the only factor that they would want to confirm is your current marital status. The Divorce Certificate of your previous marriage would only be needed to ascertain that you were indeed divorced before your present one (without which your current marriage would be invalid). That's it.
Thank you so much. I had obtained a divorce decree in the year 2015.
I also wonder whether they have certain kind of requirements to test validity of the divorce decree.

I am divorced since 2015 and married again in 2018. I was in india and filed joint petition for divorce with my previous spouse who was residing in Nevada at that time.

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
Thank you so much. I had obtained a divorce decree in the year 2015.
I also wonder whether they have certain kind of requirements to test validity of the divorce decree.

I am divorced since 2015 and married again in 2018. I was in india and filed joint petition for divorce with my previous spouse who was residing in Nevada at that time.
If your divorce was granted in Nevada (US), the Canadian authorities will have access to official US records - if and only if they choose to review the documents. Since you are applying for PR through economic class (and not family class), the chance of this happening is very low.
Remember, IRCC will be more concerned with your present spouse, since you have the ability to sponsor her now (accompanying) or later (family class). Under these circumstances, they are more likely to review her Medicals and PCC and ascertain if there exist any grounds for inadmissibility rather than focus on your previous marriage (from which you stand to benefit nothing).

gg.4510

Apr 24, 2019
If your divorce was granted in Nevada (US), the Canadian authorities will have access to official US records - if and only if they choose to review the documents. Since you are applying for PR through economic class (and not family class), the chance of this happening is very low.
Remember, IRCC will be more concerned with your present spouse, since you have the ability to sponsor her now (accompanying) or later (family class). Under these circumstances, they are more likely to review her Medicals and PCC and ascertain if there exist any grounds for inadmissibility rather than focus on your previous marriage (from which you stand to benefit nothing).
Thank you. That was really helpful.
I have already added her to my profile as marriage occured post AOR. Her documents have been called by cic and submitted also and medical also called and passed. Status on background check. Hope everything goes well.

Thank you again

Reactions: skape7