+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background check in progress for 2 months - VO Ottawa

charliev

Jul 27, 2016
(making this it's own post as I haven't had replies on the June thread)

My girlfriend and I have been using the forum to gauge our progress since applying, even though we have a straightforward app (visa exempt country, common-law status, no red flags). We are starting to be concerned with our timeline, as nothing has been updated since early September. It appears to be way outside the norm that everything on my CIC is approved, and background check has now been "in progress" for over 2 months, hearing nothing. My partner lives with me in Belgium, so can't call CIC, but emailed her MP to see if we could get movement, and was told that the MPs office couldn't contact CIC until the estimated processing time (13 months) had passed. Anyone have thoughts on how to move forward, or experienced something similar?

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

VO: Ottawa
Applied: May 31st
File transfer: July 27th

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
charliev said:
My girlfriend and I have been using the forum to gauge our progress since applying
You can't really use other cases or timelines as a gauge. Rough approximation, perhaps, but given the totally unique variance of cases, you would need a pretty large sample set ... That said, I do understand the need...

charliev said:
We are starting to be concerned with our timeline, as nothing has been updated since early September. It appears to be way outside the norm that everything on my CIC is approved, and background check has now been "in progress" for over 2 months, hearing nothing.
Quite normal actually. My wife applied inland, and they started the BG checks in July. The thing about BG checks is they are the same process, involving the same agencies, no matter which program you apply under. CIC relies on external partners (CSIS, RCMP, Interpol, and friends) to gather trace information on the applicant. These take time. Usually 3-5 months. They have such a wide variance of time because it will depend on attributes like how many countries your partner has visited, how many places have they lived in, etc etc.

charliev said:
My partner lives with me in Belgium, so can't call CIC, but emailed her MP to see if we could get movement, and was told that the MPs office couldn't contact CIC until the estimated processing time (13 months)
You can try using this number +16139444000. You used to choose language, then 1 for Foreign Affairs (not sure as I cannot call, I am in Canada), then 2 for Information about Immigration visas.

charliev

Jul 27, 2016
Thanks for the info - I'll try the number.

It's not that our application as a whole has exceeded our timeline expectations, but that on the forum it appears that for all Outland cases, regardless of VO, COPR usually comes within a week of background check changing to in progress. Again, I understand that usual doesn't mean always, but it would be nice to hear that someone else has been stuck at this stage for this long.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
charliev said:
Thanks for the info - I'll try the number.

It's not that our application as a whole has exceeded our timeline expectations, but that on the forum it appears that for all Outland cases, regardless of VO, COPR usually comes within a week of background check changing to in progress. Again, I understand that usual doesn't mean always, but it would be nice to hear that someone else has been stuck at this stage for this long.
I follow both program streams to be honest. I have seen people report outland Background checks for several months. It's normal. CIC is relying on external partners to provide information -- you have to wait for those partners to return that information. You cannot speed them up.

charliev

Jul 27, 2016
So....more than a month later, posting with no updates to MyCIC or ECAS, and no correspondence from CIC. However, I have received my GCMS notes (ordered November 15th) and am even more confused than before. Eligibility, criminality, medical, etc., were all "passed" as of 2016/09/30. My partner (the principal applicant) had lived in Belgium, Canada, and New Zealand, so we thought that had to do with our processing time, but all background checks from those countries were completed in mid-August. Also, in the final officer notes, dated 2016/09/30, it says "officer review *PASSED*", that nothing is adverse, relationship is genuine and common-law is proved, all of this ending in "FILE READY FOR VISA". I understand the process takes time, but 2.5 months on from a final officer note is just starting to seem odd.

Anyone know how to get CIC's attention? I got through to someone from CIC on the phone a few days before my notes arrived, but all they said was that the background check was a long process and ours was "within normal time parameters" - although they also seemed confused that someone from outside Canada could have their file going through a Canadian VO (Ottawa), so there's that. I've also sent a case specific enquiry about my change in address, as I've just moved from Belgium back to Canada.

Please, if anybody has ideas, share them. My partner is coming to Canada early January, and we're still trying to hold on to hope that she will be able to land as a permanent resident then.

(The previous posts were made by "principal applicant" and this is from the "sponsor" - just if anyone is confused by wording)

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
charliev said:
So....more than a month later, posting with no updates to MyCIC or ECAS, and no correspondence from CIC. However, I have received my GCMS notes (ordered November 15th) and am even more confused than before. Eligibility, criminality, medical, etc., were all "passed" as of 2016/09/30. My partner (the principal applicant) had lived in Belgium, Canada, and New Zealand, so we thought that had to do with our processing time, but all background checks from those countries were completed in mid-August. Also, in the final officer notes, dated 2016/09/30, it says "officer review *PASSED*", that nothing is adverse, relationship is genuine and common-law is proved, all of this ending in "FILE READY FOR VISA". I understand the process takes time, but 2.5 months on from a final officer note is just starting to seem odd.

Anyone know how to get CIC's attention? I got through to someone from CIC on the phone a few days before my notes arrived, but all they said was that the background check was a long process and ours was "within normal time parameters" - although they also seemed confused that someone from outside Canada could have their file going through a Canadian VO (Ottawa), so there's that. I've also sent a case specific enquiry about my change in address, as I've just moved from Belgium back to Canada.

Please, if anybody has ideas, share them. My partner is coming to Canada early January, and we're still trying to hold on to hope that she will be able to land as a permanent resident then.

(The previous posts were made by "principal applicant" and this is from the "sponsor" - just if anyone is confused by wording)
GCMS notes are 30 days old when you get them. So, call the call centre, or ask your MP to check into it for you. They can get answers in hours. Sounds like you are in a queue to be sent to a local VO for issuance though. Congrats :).

charliev

Jul 27, 2016
Thank you for all your replies, Profiler!

Just checking you mean to call 1-800-242-2100. It took me about 15 calls last time to get through, but if it eventually leads to something it's all good :)

Ivanovic

Aug 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa/vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 21-06-2016
File Transfer...
aug 12-08-2016
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
passed
Interview........
not needed
Passport Req..
jan 18-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
feb 7-02-2017
LANDED..........
booked flight for 27-03-2017
hi charliev

i just wanna share my story with you, my bg check has bin in progress since mid ockt and not a word from cpc ottawa

iam living in the netherlands and my wife is sponsering me from canada, u not the only one and i think there alot more.

its weird for me to since my app was send to cpc= ottwa
the only thing ive gotten is SA and since then not a word, all i know is that my background check went in progress mid ockt,

so we are in the same boot, try not to wurry

hope this helps

greetz

Stevin

Feb 18, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2016
AOR Received.
31-08-2016
File Transfer...
09-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront - PASSED
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
23/01/2017 Sent: 24/01/2017 via Xpress Post
charliev said:

This is really sad news. Ugh. I have been in Background check status for 4 weeks now. I certainly expected something by now. Wishing you all the best and hope you get PR very soon!