+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background Check for Spouse

kristinickin

Aug 13, 2016
Hello!

I'm Canadian and I'm sponsoring my American husband for permanent residency. We are doing his background check for the USA and noticed that the results come back in a sealed envelope. Can we open that envelope or does it need to be submitted sealed with the package? Does it need to be notarised?

In addition to this - he is in the US Air Force so he has lived in other countries on NATO orders. Some of these countries it would be damn near impossible to get background checks from and if he had any criminal history it would be noted in his military background since the USAF would be the one handling any punishment. Would a letter from his commander noting his background be enough? Along with the USA background check? He only has on-base PO box addresses for the bases he lived on in these other countries anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
kristinickin said:
We are doing his background check for the USA and noticed that the results come back in a sealed envelope. Can we open that envelope or does it need to be submitted sealed with the package? Does it need to be notarised?
yes - you can open the envelope and read the report
no - it does not need to be notarized

kristinickin said:
In addition to this - he is in the US Air Force so he has lived in other countries on NATO orders. Some of these countries it would be damn near impossible to get background checks from and if he had any criminal history it would be noted in his military background since the USAF would be the one handling any punishment. Would a letter from his commander noting his background be enough? Along with the USA background check? He only has on-base PO box addresses for the bases he lived on in these other countries anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
i am not familiar with miltary specific applications. my guess is his military background is listed in his application and that he may be exempt from needing to get records from the various countries he was stationed in. my advise is to double check the application guide to see if there is anything specific about PCC reports and military applicants and to only send the FBI report and wait to see if any others are specifically requested. if his military background is not noted in the application for some reason, a letter of explanation can prove useful too.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kristinickin said:
There have been members of the military here on the forum who have applied and I've never seen any exempted from getting PCCs simply because they were serving in the military at the time. Many people, military or not, are granted exemptions when they try but are unable to get PCCs.

If he was in any of those countries for more than 6 months, he should try to get PCCs. If he tries but is unable, he needs to document his efforts and show IRCC.