+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

back to home country after PR / travel: impact on citizenship appl.

dbo73

Star Member
Apr 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sienatiara said:
I would suggest that for the times you are "IN" Canada but travelling (address: friends place), you can say you were looking for a job.. You have to count the days you were in Canada since it will show you are in Canada by your passport entry stamps. By not declaring those days would trigger RQ for you and would mean you have to present a lot of documents to prove why you were in Canada.

June xx, 2010 – June xx, 2010 Canada
June xx, 2010 – April 02, 2011 Home Country
April 02, 2011 – Any date you were in US..
Any date you were in US – Present - Canada
Sienatiara,

I hear you, but why should I put it that I was looking for a job? I was travelling so I think I should just put that (besides, I already got my job arranged end of May/early June 2011 - to start in September. The main focus of the time period from April to August 2011 was really to get settled and visit as many places in Canada before having to start to work.

sienatiara

Mar 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It was just a suggestion since you said that you don't have a valid reason for that time frame.. You can say you were travelling if you like but you will get ask where you were specifically and might contradict your home address at that point.

The main point is you need to state you were in Canada since your passport will say you are in Canada even if you were travelling.. Base all your travels with your passport stamps. Make sure to double check your US trips as well since it will show up too.

I would suggest requesting CBSA report and ATIP report before sending your application so that you can see your travel records.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dbo73 said:
- PR date and date I came to Canada to live: the June 2010 date (the calculator does not allow me to put the April 2011 date in for 'when did you come to Canada to live?')
That's the main reason behind this confusion. You are trying to input the date you become PR as prior to the date you came to live in Canada. That's not possible and you re driving the Residence Calculator crazy. :eek:
You can't become PR resident in 2002 while living in Japan than in 2003 move to Canada. You become PR when you put your feet on the Canadian soil/Land with an immigrant visa. That's what we call LANDING. Yes, you may leave Canada after 4 days and spend 2 years overseas but you are still a PR of Canada spending some time overseas( taking vacation, working or studying....)
Now in your case, the date you became PR is the same as the date you came to live in Canada. Put it this way and everything will be fine, all the rest is travelling or taking vacation or whatever you did overseas WHILE YOU WERE PR OF CANADA.
Just put your information as it easy and follow the rules even if you don't like them. Don't give cic the impression like your hiding something.