+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Back in Canada after extended period out of the country

bedema

Mar 29, 2019
I just got back into Canada after my initial landing back in 1997 two days ago. I when thru the border without any problem, luckily my passport is visa exempted. My plan is to stay here continually for 2 years and apply for my PR card. Am I on the correct path? I got my SIN way back and I should be able to work. I still need to get my driver license and health card back, any suggestion?

cyberdemon

May 8, 2019
I just got back into Canada after my initial landing back in 1997 two days ago. I when thru the border without any problem, luckily my passport is visa exempted. My plan is to stay here continually for 2 years and apply for my PR card. Am I on the correct path? I got my SIN way back and I should be able to work. I still need to get my driver license and health card back, any suggestion?
Very strange!!!Under which visa you entered there?? Because you have to enter within 3years after first landing.please clear.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Your SIN will be dormant and you will need to go to Service Canada to get it reactivated.
Good luck with your other documents... You may have problems without a valid PR card.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Very strange!!!Under which visa you entered there?? Because you have to enter within 3years after first landing.please clear.
This individual came back through the US land border and had the advantage of having a visa exempt passport and possibly a less than conscientious CBSA officer. If the individual did not have a visa exempt passport then would probably have more scrutiny and the result may not have been so positive.

Reactions: russ6970

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
This individual came back through the US land border and had the advantage of having a visa exempt passport and possibly a less than conscientious CBSA officer. If the individual did not have a visa exempt passport then would probably have more scrutiny and the result may not have been so positive.
Agreed, not so strange at all since the passport was visa exempt. If they stay here for 2 years, hopefully that will rectify the situation.

bedema

Mar 29, 2019
Your SIN will be dormant and you will need to go to Service Canada to get it reactivated.
Good luck with your other documents... You may have problems without a valid PR card.
Thank you very much indeed.

bedema

Mar 29, 2019
you are absolutely correct. With my visa exempted passport, immigration is probably paying less attention.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Worrying since even with a visa exempt passport I would expect that they have a database that would link their PR status and show that they are a PR as well.

bedema

Mar 29, 2019
Worrying since even with a visa exempt passport I would expect that they have a database that would link their PR status and show that they are a PR as well.
I believe they do have this link. Maybe the officer did not border to check, maybe he/she simply let me go, maybe it was too busy....it's just a luck thing!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
But does it really surprise you though? Some times I think the CBSA should just put up a broom handle to do clearance entry into the country.