+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Back and forth across land border?

YouMissedMyHeart

Jul 21, 2021
We just received a passport request and are waiting for a COPR. Am I correct in understanding that if you have a COPR that you can cross between the US and Canada freely at a land border? My husband works in Detroit and we're looking to live in Windsor, but that would be difficult if we're waiting on a PR card and he can't leave and come back. My understanding is that the issue with the COPR document is that commercial travel (airlines, busses, etc) do not accept it but the land border does?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We just received a passport request and are waiting for a COPR. Am I correct in understanding that if you have a COPR that you can cross between the US and Canada freely at a land border? My husband works in Detroit and we're looking to live in Windsor, but that would be difficult if we're waiting on a PR card and he can't leave and come back. My understanding is that the issue with the COPR document is that commercial travel (airlines, busses, etc) do not accept it but the land border does?
Yes, that's right. Land border is fine.

robopablo

Jul 26, 2019
YMMH-

Let me know how it goes! Received our CoPR, after a 2+ year wait and for some reason it expires in March. We're in TX but thinking about heading for a turnaround/soft landing before then just to get it done. No way we can get pulled out of here before March and DO NOT want to drive to Nova Scotia in winter. So, thinking about just heading to a close border and getting it done.

Can you replay here after you do it to let me know how it went?

Thanks

YouMissedMyHeart

Jul 21, 2021
YMMH-

Let me know how it goes! Received our CoPR, after a 2+ year wait and for some reason it expires in March. We're in TX but thinking about heading for a turnaround/soft landing before then just to get it done. No way we can get pulled out of here before March and DO NOT want to drive to Nova Scotia in winter. So, thinking about just heading to a close border and getting it done.

Thanks
Will do. Though if it makes you feel any better, our lawyer did say crossing multiple times is fine. I just wanted to post here and ask as well to quell my paranoia!

Reactions: robopablo

robopablo

Jul 26, 2019
Though if it makes you feel any better, our lawyer did say crossing multiple times is fine.
Groovy, thanks!

We're hoping to just head to the border at ND, "land" and head home. I'm reading differing info on getting the PR card. But I just want to get established before the CoPR expires....

Thanks!

YouMissedMyHeart

Jul 21, 2021
YMMH-

Thanks
Agree with the above post - we've been crossing the land border fine with no issues, just have your COPR. :)

Reactions: RSub

robopablo

Jul 26, 2019
Agree with the above post - we've been crossing the land border fine with no issues, just have your COPR. :)
Where did you have your PR card sent? The guy that processed me said they'd send it to my US address but I've read otherwise. Another PR on here landed last weekend and they were told the same thing.

You've just been using the CoPR to cross?

YouMissedMyHeart

Jul 21, 2021
I thought it had to be sent to a Canadian address, but I may be wrong. We asked that it be mailed to our new address in Canada.
He's used his nexus but has been told to keep his COPR on him at all times as that's what's required for him to travel now.