+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby

Sep 18, 2019
Hi good day!
Just wanna ask. Im an tfw here in canada. Just gave birth to my son last august. His dual citizen already filipino and canadian sadly i need to send back my son to the philippines because of work. My concern is as a canadian citizen how long should my baby stay outside canada?He has his canadian passport for 5 years.

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Hi good day!
Just wanna ask. Im an tfw here in canada. Just gave birth to my son last august. His dual citizen already filipino and canadian sadly i need to send back my son to the philippines because of work. My concern is as a canadian citizen how long should my baby stay outside canada?He has his canadian passport for 5 years.
Once his passport expires and he doesn't complete the 3 years residency requirement, then he won't be a Canadian because he is a dual passport holder. So he will have to give up the citizenship. You can appeal for this using H&C grounds.

Nah just kidding lmao. He will still be a Canadian citizen - that's the whole point of a citizenship. Just make sure to renew his passport before the expiry to avoid any future complications when renewing his passport.

Jaykay101

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
Once his passport expires and he doesn't complete the 3 years residency requirement, then he won't be a Canadian because he is a dual passport holder. So he will have to give up the citizenship. You can appeal for this using H&C grounds.

Nah just kidding lmao. He will still be a Canadian citizen - that's the whole point of a citizenship. Just make sure to renew his passport before the expiry to avoid any future complications when renewing his passport.
Lol you got me there for a minute I was like what!!!!!

but yeah, once a citizen, always a citizen unless you renounce it. Just renew the passport before it expires.

avro1959

Sep 13, 2014
I was cracking my knuckles, fully prepared to take you to town for your uninformed reply - in any case thanks for the comedy!!

Just make sure to renew his passport before the expiry to avoid any future complications when renewing his passport.
I don't get this part though. What sort of complications can arise from not renewing a passport? My understanding is that it could be expired for 50 years for all anyone cares and all it would take is a new passport application with the original birth cert, guarantors, etc. Passport applications are expensive and if the child is remaining outside Canada, it's barely worthwhile to keep it valid.

• Haha
Reactions: BOYX and PMV

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I was cracking my knuckles, fully prepared to take you to town for your uninformed reply - in any case thanks for the comedy!!

I don't get this part though. What sort of complications can arise from not renewing a passport? My understanding is that it could be expired for 50 years for all anyone cares and all it would take is a new passport application with the original birth cert, guarantors, etc. Passport applications are expensive and if the child is remaining outside Canada, it's barely worthwhile to keep it valid.
By complications probably implying that often is not as straight forward applying to renew a passport from outside of the country versus from within canada and also probably easier before the current one expires.

Sure there is an ongoing cost so is a personal decision and depending on personal circumstances of the parents as well

Reactions: BOYX

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
By complications probably implying that often is not as straight forward applying to renew a passport from outside of the country versus from within canada and also probably easier before the current one expires.

Sure there is an ongoing cost so is a personal decision and depending on personal circumstances of the parents as well
Yes, this is essentially what I meant. It’s a cost-benefit decision but one the parent should at least have in mind.

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018

good one

Son-of-A-Gun

Star Member
Sep 23, 2016

Good one! Got me there for a sec!

• Haha