+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

baby sponsorship dilemma - inland vs outland from USA

tucosword

Star Member
Apr 28, 2016
so friends, me and my wife are PR holders. She is American and is having our second baby in USA.
I'm thinking ahead to after baby comes and relocating to Canada.

I need to sponsor the baby - that's obvious.
USA by birth citizenship means, no need for a visa and therefore shouldn't be a issue with border crossing.

The dilemma I have is whether to start proceedings once baby is born and still in USA or alternatively to do so once we all return to Canada(about 2 months after birth).

I guess I'm colored by the knowledge that with spousal sponsorship, outland is always quicker(more emphasis to re-unite spouses). But this would likely necessitate wife and baby being in USA for medical(and i'd rather they were with me in Toronto).

But if it saves us time(when baby will be without OHIP - while waiting for PR) , then it may be more tempting.

Any ideas on which way to proceed??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
so friends, me and my wife are PR holders. She is American and is having our second baby in USA.
I'm thinking ahead to after baby comes and relocating to Canada.

I need to sponsor the baby - that's obvious.
USA by birth citizenship means, no need for a visa and therefore shouldn't be a issue with border crossing.

The dilemma I have is whether to start proceedings once baby is born and still in USA or alternatively to do so once we all return to Canada(about 2 months after birth).

I guess I'm colored by the knowledge that with spousal sponsorship, outland is always quicker(more emphasis to re-unite spouses). But this would likely necessitate wife and baby being in USA for medical(and i'd rather they were with me in Toronto).

But if it saves us time(when baby will be without OHIP - while waiting for PR) , then it may be more tempting.

Any ideas on which way to proceed??
There is no inland/outland process for dependents. You'll sponsor your child outland. At least one of the parents must be physically live in Canada to submit the sponsorship application and must remain in Canada while the application is processed.

tucosword

Star Member
Apr 28, 2016
hmmmm
ok scylla,
let me ask this.
so i can't start the sponsorship process once child is born and we are both in USA - correct?
Ok, our intention is to go back to Canada in 2 months time, once we get to Canada, can I start the sponsorship process then?
As in can i sponsor him while he live with me?
I don't want to be separated from him at any point in this process.

Tocanadawego

Apr 19, 2015
Nepal
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/10/2015
AOR Received.
06/10/2015
Med's Done....
12-12-2105
Passport Req..
17-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
04-03-2017
You can bring him to Canada with you and start the sponsorship. If after 6 months the process is still ongoing you will need to do the visitor extension for him to legally remain in Canada. I am doing the same with my son now and we have had no issues so far. Once you submit the PR application the baby MIGHT be eligible for OHIP. You need to check with them. We are in BC and our son is eligible for provincial insurance as a PR applicant (a dependant of residents).

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
If you are both Canadian PRs, and your wife is American, why wouldn't you just have the baby in Canada? The child born to an American mother will be a US citizen by birth, and the child born in Canada would also be a Canadian citizen with no need to sponsor the child.