London
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
08-Jan-2018
VISA ISSUED...
19-Jan-2018
LANDED..........
21-Feb-2018
If they apply for a trv/trp for the baby CIC would look up their PR status and that could also trigger the PR revocation process.
You are right, agreed with you.

I advised them to one of the members should leave for Canada as soon as possible. Now, it's upon their luck.

Navily

Dec 27, 2017
Hello everyone,
I have a question re my migration plan and was hoping to get help from the seniors on this group. My PR application was submitted last year in march (also did my medical in march 2016) however I got the passport request now for visa stamping.
I understand that they will ask me to do landing by march 2017 i.e. Before my medical expires

I am fine with that and will complete the landing/PR card issuing process by march. my concern is about the final move....I am planning to come back now and move after 2.5 years in order to meet the residency requirements. However my wife and child will not move with me.
My questions are:

1) if I move alone after 2.5 years, can my wife and son still hold the pr status and not be physically present in Canada?
2) if not, what needs to be done if they plan to join me after 4/5 years of our initial landing? Do they cancel their prs and I sponsor them again? If yes, what are the requirements? Any links you can share?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,
I have a question re my migration plan and was hoping to get help from the seniors on this group. My PR application was submitted last year in march (also did my medical in march 2016) however I got the passport request now for visa stamping.
I understand that they will ask me to do landing by march 2017 i.e. Before my medical expires

I am fine with that and will complete the landing/PR card issuing process by march. my concern is about the final move....I am planning to come back now and move after 2.5 years in order to meet the residency requirements. However my wife and child will not move with me.
My questions are:

1) if I move alone after 2.5 years, can my wife and son still hold the pr status and not be physically present in Canada?
2) if not, what needs to be done if they plan to join me after 4/5 years of our initial landing? Do they cancel their prs and I sponsor them again? If yes, what are the requirements? Any links you can share?
No you wife and son have to be present in Canada to retain their residency status. Is there a reason you wife and son will not be able to come to Canada?

Navily

Dec 27, 2017
No you wife and son have to be present in Canada to retain their residency status. Is there a reason you wife and son will not be able to come to Canada?

Thanks for the prompt reply. Many reasons they can't join but primarily uncertainty- not sure if we'll be able to settle in the new place and we both don't want to give up our careers.
Would you be able to advise if there is a process to be followed if they would like to join me later, like after 4 years of initial landing?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the prompt reply. Many reasons they can't join but primarily uncertainty- not sure if we'll be able to settle in the new place and we both don't want to give up our careers.
Would you be able to advise if there is a process to be followed if they would like to join me later, like after 4 years of initial landing?
They would have to renounce their PR and you would have to start the application all over again and do a spousal sponsorship. Unless you have received citizenship by then you will have to remain in Canada while you sponsor them (small vacation for a 2-3 weeks only) and it will take approximately a year. They will probably be refused a TRV to visit Canada once they give up their PR.

Reactions: Navily

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
2) if not, what needs to be done if they plan to join me after 4/5 years of our initial landing? Do they cancel their prs and I sponsor them again? If yes, what are the requirements?
Personally, if they aren't planning to come back for several years, I would change their applications to non-accompanying. Later, if you do decide to settle in Canada (and I don't know why people apply for PR's if they haven't already made that choice), you can sponsor them to come. Saves all the headaches that would go along with an appeal that would likely be dismissed (and you would have to sponsor them again after waiting through the appeal).

Reactions: Navily

Navily

Dec 27, 2017
Personally, if they aren't planning to come back for several years, I would change their applications to non-accompanying. Later, if you do decide to settle in Canada (and I don't know why people apply for PR's if they haven't already made that choice), you can sponsor them to come. Saves all the headaches that would go along with an appeal that would likely be dismissed (and you would have to sponsor them again after waiting through the appeal).
Thanks, I don't know about others but my PR application is just an option for me (if I or my family decides to move, I want to keep it open)...
The reason to have them as accompanying is what if we feel like moving in the next two or three years - as I said keeping all options open :).....might be an incorrect approach but everyone does (or atleast they think they do) best for themselves. So am I...
Thank you so much for taking the time and replying..seniors on this forum (like yourself) are really doing a great job helping Others...Cheers,