+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby Born OutSide Canada -- Parents are PR holder.

Nauman5199

Star Member
Aug 4, 2017
You also need to remain compliant with your RO to sponsor your child or the whole family risks being reported for not meeting their RO. When did you land as a PR and how long do you plan on being outside Canada? How much time have you already spent in Canada since landing? Processing for child PR is longer compared to precovid. The child will also need to obtain their home country passport first and then apply PR status which delays the process. Length of time for processing is somewhat Dependent on country of origin. Applications in general from some countries are facing delays due to the volume of applications. Hopefully processing times will have decresed by the time you apply and all child sponsorship should return to 5-12 months. Unfortunately due to Covid some took longer than 1 year.

If you are considering returning to Canada with your baby you can try applying for a TRV. If not approved you have the option of applying for a TRP. In some provinces your baby will not qualify for provincial healthcare until they receive PR. You will need to take out travel medical insurance for emergencies and then pay out of pocket for routine care. That is the most cost efficient way to do things and routine care is not overly expensive.
Dear Canuck,

Sorry for delayed response. I did soft landing on 11th May 22 and then exited Canada on 04th June 2022. My PR is valid till June-2027. I believe there won’t be any RO issue ?

I planned to return to Canada permanently somewhere in Mid 2025.

Regards,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear Canuck,

Sorry for delayed response. I did soft landing on 11th May 22 and then exited Canada on 04th June 2022. My PR is valid till June-2027. I believe there won’t be any RO issue ?

I planned to return to Canada permanently somewhere in Mid 2025.

Regards,
PR card is valid until June 2027 but you must meet RO in 5 years from your landing date so by May 11,2027. It is important that you remain compliant with your RO to sponsor your child.

Nauman5199

Star Member
Aug 4, 2017
What is your advise??

1.Have birth of Baby within Canada and after taking Passport then exit Canada.

2.Have Birth Outside Canada and then permanently move in first quarter of 2025 ?? Not sure about new born documents in that case ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So it means i have to permanently move by May-25 to complete 2 years RO requirement ???
Yes if you want to return to Canada you should arrive by June 2025 (since you spent one month in Canada) or earlier. As a PR you must be in Canada to sponsor a child. Would try to arrive earlier so that you have a buffer in case you do need to travel. You will need to try and get a TRV for your child. That may take months so apply 6 months before you go.

Nauman5199

Star Member
Aug 4, 2017
Yes if you want to return to Canada you should arrive by June 2025 (since you spent one month in Canada) or earlier. As a PR you must be in Canada to sponsor a child. Would try to arrive earlier so that you have a buffer in case you do need to travel. You will need to try and get a TRV for your child. That may take months so apply 6 months before you go.
Thanks a lot.