+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby Born on Work Permit

PiTHn

Jan 6, 2013
Hi !

I am from Pakistan and in Montreal for last one month on Work Permit and my wife is on Open Work permit. We have it valid for next 2.5 years. My wife is expecting baby in next 6 months. Can someone help me with procedur of what necessary steps to be taken to get my baby registered. Also, How to apply for baby's passport (if required) as we will be travelling pakistan after baby is born.

Thanks.

Rajaryan

Jul 6, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
15-08-2013
AOR Received.
21-10-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
10-11-2013
Med's Done....
23-06-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
In Canada on TFW
I also heard that if the baby is born in Canada then automatically the baby is eligible for Canadian Citizenship?? it is true

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Rajaryan said:
I also heard that if the baby is born in Canada then automatically the baby is eligible for Canadian Citizenship?? it is true
Yes, if neither of the parents is a diplomat. Although the Minister has intimated that a change maybe coming.

PiTHn

Jan 6, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

Yes, if neither of the parents is a diplomat. Although the Minister has intimated that a change maybe coming.
Thanks !! If that's the case, what steps i need to adopt to get baby registered as citizen after being born.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

PiTHn said:
Thanks !! If that's the case, what steps i need to adopt to get baby registered as citizen after being born.
Nothing, you will be issued a birth certificate, and with it you can apply for a Canadian passport for the child. It gives no rights to the parents you know to have a Canadian child.

Rajaryan

Jul 6, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
15-08-2013
AOR Received.
21-10-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
10-11-2013
Med's Done....
23-06-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
In Canada on TFW
Thanks PPM for the info.
Also is it true that , once the child gets the Canadian Passports, thereafter parents can also apply for citizenship directly?? If yes then how much time it takes for the whole process??

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Note PMM has answered your question already - the parents do not gain any rights by delivering a child in Canada. The child cannot sponsor the parents for many years, 18 I believe.

Rajaryan

Jul 6, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
15-08-2013
AOR Received.
21-10-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
10-11-2013
Med's Done....
23-06-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
In Canada on TFW
@ PIPPIN

Sorry bro I missed that.

PiTHn

Jan 6, 2013
Pippin said:
Note PMM has answered your question already - the parents do not gain any rights by delivering a child in Canada. The child cannot sponsor the parents for many years, 18 I believe.
Is this correct that once baby is born, i use birth certificate to apply for Citizenship Certificate for baby. This citizenship certificate then will be used to apply for canadian passport of baby?
Also while going through this entire process for canadian passport for baby, can i still register baby and get passport from pakistan embassy to be able to retain dual nationality for baby?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

PiTHn said:
Is this correct that once baby is born, i use birth certificate to apply for Citizenship Certificate for baby. This citizenship certificate then will be used to apply for canadian passport of baby?
Also while going through this entire process for canadian passport for baby, can i still register baby and get passport from pakistan embassy to be able to retain dual nationality for baby?
1. You don't require a citizenship card for the child to apply for a Canadian passport, the birth certificate is sufficient.
2. Yes, see: http://www.pcgv.org/consular-services_NICOP.shtml

PiTHn

Jan 6, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

1. You don't require a citizenship card for the child to apply for a Canadian passport, the birth certificate is sufficient.
2. Yes, see:
@ PMM, @ Pippin

Following is list of documents one has to go though to get for new born:

1) Birth Certificate
2) Social Insurance Number (SIN)
3) Health Insurance
4) Canadian Passport
5) Pakistani Passport

Can you please help me understand the sequence in which these can be executed as they may be dependent upon each other...