Med's Done....
19-06-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2013
I'm sure this has already been discussed, but...

Now that I've paid my RPRF and I seem to be getting close (according to my attorney, and I pray he is right!)... Due to my current living situation, most of my belongings are already boxed up, so it's time to start taking inventory of what's in those boxes!

So, my questions...
How detailed to I have to get? Like, can I just put down 1 box of glass, or do I need to put down 15 glasses?
How do I come up with the approximate value on stuff that I've owned for years and years?

My living situation is strange, and I really wanted to go through my boxes, sort them, and repack things so they make sense anyway, I just need to know HOW detailed I should be when filling everything out.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: ba/ba4 forms

lalune117 said:

Now that I've paid my RPRF and I seem to be getting close (according to my attorney, and I pray he is right!)... Due to my current living situation, most of my belongings are already boxed up, so it's time to start taking inventory of what's in those boxes!

So, my questions...
How detailed to I have to get? Like, can I just put down 1 box of glass, or do I need to put down 15 glasses?
How do I come up with the approximate value on stuff that I've owned for years and years?

My living situation is strange, and I really wanted to go through my boxes, sort them, and repack things so they make sense anyway, I just need to know HOW detailed I should be when filling everything out.
Hope you don't mind if I copy/paste the links from the US Outland applicant thread FAQs :)

Importing goods duty free
How to import your goods duty free as a settler (or returning Canadian): The B4/B4A story (by OhCanadiana). You'll need a B4 and likely at least one B4A form.
Detailed instructions on the B4/B4A from CBSA are at BSF5113 and at BSF5087 .

Importing your vehicle – step by step guide
Process to importing your car (by OhCanadiana)
Items to consider as you decide when to import your car (by OhCanadiana)

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

lalune117 said:

So, my questions...

Of course you can list your items in group. No need for itemized list,if they are not any appliance or equipment.

Below listed is just an example:

Kitchen utensils : 2 box :Value CAD 800
Crockery and Cutlery: 1 box: CAD 1000
Dress : 3 box : CAD 1000
Assorted Linen ( I mean towels, beds sheets, curtains etc.. ) :2 box : CAD 500
Assorted Shoes : 1 box: CAD 600
Books: 1 box: CAD 200

There is no problem if several kinds of items are mixed and packed in boxes. You can show it as. Assorted personal items: 1 or ..?. box: CAD 600

You can show the value approximately. If a higher value is shown you don't need to pay any duty for used personal items imported for settlement. If you have some brand new items, remove their factory packing, price tags and drop it in the box. A factory sealed brand new item may be considered for sale. However,the customs officer will not check every item individually by opening all the boxes. Some times they will not even check any box. Usually only a random check.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013

Be aware that you need to get professional appraisals if you plan to bring jewelry. This is what I was told when we went through the landing procedures at the Vancouver airport. The officer accepted everything else, but crossed off all the jewelry. We still got it all into Canada without paying taxes, so I guess it makes little difference....but just something to be aware of...

FS

lalune117

Star Member
Feb 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF Requested: 19-02-2013
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
19-06-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2013

The only jewelry that I have that is not costume jewelry is my wedding and engagement ring set... That was purchased in Canada and I DO have a receipt for it. Do I still need to have it appraised?

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013

No, if you have a receipt, that's it.

FS

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

lalune117 said:
The only jewelry that I have that is not costume jewelry is my wedding and engagement ring set... That was purchased in Canada and I DO have a receipt for it. Do I still need to have it appraised?
No, but to be safe I would still include the photos of the jewelry as part of your B4/B4A set to avoid confusion,

Fencesitter said:
Be aware that you need to get professional appraisals if you plan to bring jewelry. This is what I was told when we went through the landing procedures at the Vancouver airport. The officer accepted everything else, but crossed off all the jewelry. We still got it all into Canada without paying taxes, so I guess it makes little difference....but just something to be aware of...

FS
Did you have photographs of all the items? They are concerned about descriptions of the items being sufficient to identify them and that's why certain categories (jewelry, electronics) have extra requirements like photos for jewelry and serial numbers for electronics.

And, did you import the jewelry already? If not, you could consider adding it to your B4/B4A as a returning Canadian when you actually move back to Canada.

lalune117

Star Member
Feb 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF Requested: 19-02-2013
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
19-06-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2013

OhCanadiana said:
No, but to be safe I would still include the photos of the jewelry as part of your B4/B4A set to avoid confusion,
So are you saying that I need to have photos of my costume jewelry too?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

lalune117 said:
So are you saying that I need to have photos of my costume jewelry too?
I meant your wedding rings (since photographs are unequivocal). It's also a good idea to lay out your costume jewelry and take a picture with several pieces in each photo and print several to a page, especially if any of it is (or looks) expensive. The manual I linked to above doesn't distinguish between costume vs. gold/plat/silver etc jewelry. Bottom line is probably price it is and it seems. CBSA will stamp the photo pages too and then you'll be able to re-import freely in the future also.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013

OhCanadiana said:

Did you have photographs of all the items? They are concerned about descriptions of the items being sufficient to identify them and that's why certain categories (jewelry, electronics) have extra requirements like photos for jewelry and serial numbers for electronics.

And, did you import the jewelry already? If not, you could consider adding it to your B4/B4A as a returning Canadian when you actually move back to Canada.
Yes, I had everything photographed and nested in Word with descriptions. The officer saw everything, but decided he needed professional estimates. All the jewelry is now in Canada...I suppose you could say it was unofficially imported, but sadly, the B4 forms were already stamped, so I don't think it matters much. We also had all the receipts, but the officer never asked for them, and I totally forgot to show him (jet lagged brain!).

If we are ever stopped, I'll be sure to have the receipts of our wedding rings to prove we purchased them while living abroad.

FS

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He must have misunderstood the rules, but since you've imported everything into Canada already it shouldn't make a material difference. If you travel, consider registering the items at the border before leaving if you anticipate issues. They'll give you a little slip you can use to prove you had them in Canada already.

CharlizeRai

Apr 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-08-2012
AOR Received.
06-09-2012
File Transfer...
14-09-2012
Med's Done....
13-04-2012
Interview........
WAIVED :)
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
6-02-2013
LANDED..........
APRIL 9 :)

OhCanadiana said:
Hope you don't mind if I copy/paste the links from the US Outland applicant thread FAQs :)

Importing goods duty free
How to import your goods duty free as a settler (or returning Canadian): The B4/B4A story (by OhCanadiana). You'll need a B4 and likely at least one B4A form.
Detailed instructions on the B4/B4A from CBSA are at BSF5113 and at BSF5087 .

Importing your vehicle – step by step guide
Process to importing your car (by OhCanadiana)
Items to consider as you decide when to import your car (by OhCanadiana)
Awesome!

Asukal

Sep 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-13-2011
Med's Request
07-06-2011
Passport Req..
01-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Before Christmas
LANDED..........
Before Christmas
based on my personal experience.i make a b4form,wrote all the things i will bring.unfortunatetly they did not ask for my b4form when i arrived here in canada.all you need is a declaration card that the airline will give you. that's the only thing you need.dont stress yourself making b4form.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
It's true that the declaration will suffice, but if you have a lot of stuff you are importing, it is wise to prepare a B4 or an excel spreadsheet.

FS

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fencesitter said:
It's true that the declaration will suffice, but if you have a lot of stuff you are importing, it is wise to prepare a B4 or an excel spreadsheet.

FS
Actually, the declaration is NOT sufficient, especially if someone has goods to follow. Once to move you can no longer declare the remaining goods at a later date and get the benefits settlers or returning immigrants get.