+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

B2 US Visa between PPR and Soft Landing

KV_hopeful

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
Hi all,

I received my PPR last month and my passport is currently with VO for stamping. I intend to do a soft landing in the next few months before I return for permanent residence. I wish to combine a 2 weeks vacation in US along with the soft landing and applying for the US Visa.

Is there anyone who has been in similar situation? Does anyone know of potential issue faced with the application?

Reason for my concern is that I was told by someone that they might consider me an immigration risk as they will see my Canadian PR and suspect I don't intend to come back. So I would like to hear from someone who has been in similar situation?

Please note I am currently employed here, have sufficient proofs to validate my employment, have sufficient funds to support myself during the trip.

applicant_2016

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
I am not able to understand as to how being a PR of Canada makes you a flight risk. That doesn't even make sense. If you had any another temp status, I would still say ok but you should be fine.

Also fyi- I landed on Feb 11 as PR, applied for my US B1/B2 visa after that on Feb 28 n got it without any issues. Hope that helps !!!

Reactions: KV_hopeful

KV_hopeful

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
Definitely helps to know about your case. Thanks! I know what you mean, it didn’t make sense to me either.

But there is someone I know personally (not an anecdotal story) who was refused on the grounds of “not having a job in Canada + being PR in Canada”. They suspected he will leave his current job once he has US Visa and use the visa to look for a job in US. Maybe there is more to his story that he hasn’t shared.

So I was just hoping to know if his is a one off case or usual practice.

In any case, I will update here once I know what happens in my case :)

I am not able to understand as to how being a PR of Canada makes you a flight risk. That doesn't even make sense. If you had any another temp status, I would still say ok but you should be fine.

Also fyi- I landed on Feb 11 as PR, applied for my US B1/B2 visa after that on Feb 28 n got it without any issues. Hope that helps !!!

Reactions: applicant_2016

applicant_2016

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Definitely helps to know about your case. Thanks! I know what you mean, it didn’t make sense to me either.

But there is someone I know personally (not an anecdotal story) who was refused on the grounds of “not having a job in Canada + being PR in Canada”. They suspected he will leave his current job once he has US Visa and use the visa to look for a job in US. Maybe there is more to his story that he hasn’t shared.

So I was just hoping to know if his is a one off case or usual practice.

In any case, I will update here once I know what happens in my case :)
All the best !! Please do share your experience.

clguy

Apr 7, 2017
Hi all,

I received my PPR last month and my passport is currently with VO for stamping. I intend to do a soft landing in the next few months before I return for permanent residence. I wish to combine a 2 weeks vacation in US along with the soft landing and applying for the US Visa.

Is there anyone who has been in similar situation? Does anyone know of potential issue faced with the application?

Reason for my concern is that I was told by someone that they might consider me an immigration risk as they will see my Canadian PR and suspect I don't intend to come back. So I would like to hear from someone who has been in similar situation?

Please note I am currently employed here, have sufficient proofs to validate my employment, have sufficient funds to support myself during the trip.

Under U.S. immigration law, the applicant has the burden of proof that he or she is not an intending immigrant. Section 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.) states:

"Every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status...."

To qualify for a visitor visa, for example, an applicant must meet the requirements of I.N.A. Sections 101(a)(15)(B) or (F), respectively. Failure to do so will result in a refusal of a visa under I.N.A. 214(b).

The most frequent basis for such a refusal concerns the requirement that the prospective visitor has a residence abroad he or she has no intention of abandoning. Applicants can prove the existence of such residence by demonstrating that they have ties to their homeland that would compel them to leave the U.S. at the end of their temporary stay.

Consular officers make the decisions to grant or deny visitor visas within minutes of the consular interview, after a brief review of whatever evidence an applicant presents.