Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
My wife and I will be spending about half the year in Britich Colombia, the other half abroad. We want to join the B.C. health plan.

I am told that members must stay in B.C. for 6 months plus a day to qualify for membership.

Question 1: Is there any leeway with this requirement? WHat if we were able to stay in B.C. only 180 days? Would that disqualify us?

Question 2: How can we prove (if ever asked) that we spent 183+ days in B.C.? Apparently the onus of proof is on us. Being a Canadian, my passport is not stamped when I enter and exit Canada. My wife will be a permanent resident; will her passport be stamped on entering/exiting Canada?

If passports are not stamped, what other proof can we offer?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They are generally not stamped for either PRs or Canadians, however, I believe you can ask them to stamp it for you and they will. They may ask why, but your explanation makes perfect sense.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Even where passports are not stamped, does Immigration keep track on their computer system of entries and exits?

Could an examiner for the B.C. health care plan ask Immigration for their records, to confirm/deny my declaration of time spent in B.C.?

I suspect that some nee permanent residents in Canada won't think to ask for their passports to be stamped. What do they do whan asked to prove time spent in B.C.?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They do keep track of entries. I don't think BC would ask for it, but you could probably get the record of it yourself if need be.

That being said, I don't think BC is going to ask for any proof, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
my passport was stamped on entry. I think they always stamp foreign passports at the POE. for detailed info you can always phone to Canadian border service.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They will not stamp your passport when you enter Canada if you are a PR. In fact, if you have your PR card, they won't even ask for your passport. At least they have never asked for my wife's passport.

Perhaps you can ask them for a stamp and explain why you need it.

In addition, I have re-entered Canada multiple times on my work permit and once as a PR (before I got my PR card), and they never stamped my passport.

OrangeCounty

Star Member
Dec 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Probably they do stamp passports from visa-waiver countries?

Karlshammar is from visa-waiver country?

Suin is from non visa-waiver country?

OrangeCounty

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are correct about our countries.

However, I got stamped when I initially entered as a visitor, when I got my work permits (i.e., on first entry to receive them), and when landing. It was when I already had status and just re-entered under the same status that I got stamped. Maybe we were talking about different things? Or perhaps you are right.

OrangeCounty said:
Probably they do stamp passports from visa-waiver countries?

Karlshammar is from visa-waiver country?

Suin is from non visa-waiver country?

OrangeCounty