+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AVR 2019 - Different Visa / Same visa different employer

EndGame_12345

Feb 19, 2019
Hello,

I have been trying to find the answers to the below questions w.r.t what's latest in 2019. I have seen different opinions and hence creating a thread for seniors to pitch in.

Background - Wife and I (H1B) in US , Child is US citizen. Received PPR and will be sending passports this week. Then will do a soft landing as we need more time to fulfill our commitments in US before moving for good. Contemplating on whether to use AVR during landing OR do landing in canada and leave for home country to get our H1b stamped.

Questions
1. I have an expired visa (h1b) stamped in 2013 valid till 2015. This was stamped through my previous employer. In 2014, I joined a different company. In the same year I went to india and came back on the valid stamp of my previous employer with current employer's 797. I was allowed to enter after some checks at POE. Can I use AVR in my case.? My current 797 is valid till Jan 2020.

2. My wife's case is a bit different. She was on H4 and has H4 visa stamped on passport. Recently she had a change of status to H1 and has 797 valid till may 2021. SO basically in her case the visa category is different due to change of status. Is she also eligible of AVR ?

3. Is there any contact number of CBP where I can ask this question to confirm ?

Will need your expert opinion on my case. Thank you !