+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AVG PROCESSING TIME for CITIZENSHIP APPLICATION FROM TORONTO

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can anyone please comment on the average processing times for applicants in TORONTO, i see its 12 months in CIC Website, im wondering what would it take now after this COVID-19 issue, please start the thread and post personal experiences for the applicants from TORONTO.

PS- I will be eligible to apply in next 6 weeks, so im wondering how will it goes.

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
Can anyone please comment on the average processing times for applicants in TORONTO, i see its 12 months in CIC Website, im wondering what would it take now after this COVID-19 issue, please start the thread and post personal experiences for the applicants from TORONTO.

PS- I will be eligible to apply in next 6 weeks, so im wondering how will it goes.
delay is a sure thing now. just don't know how long. usually 9-12 months are norm. i would say +3~6 months on top of that for covid19.

Reactions: lossada

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

The number you see on the website is a general timeline. 12 months doesn't apply to everyone. One of the main factors is if your application is routine or non-routine.

For instance, if you get an additional documents request (usually the dreaded Residency Questionnaire), the application is considered non-routine and it might take longer to be processed than a routine application.

Having said that, to get some idea of the processing times, you might want to look at the tracker sheets. The tracker for 2020 is in my signature. Also, there is a 2019 tracker. The average processing time used be something around 6 - 9 months for a sizable number of applications (at least in 2019). Given the COVID-19 situation, it is only going to be higher than that.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Just to give an example: I applied (in Toronto) in Oct 2017, had my ceremony in April 2019 - there was no pandemic back then. Mine took much longer than other people for no reason, even my MP's office sent inquiries to IRCC for me and had always been told everything was in order. It just appeared to have fallen through the cracks of IRCC's pile of files... So, don't take the 12-month estimated wait time too seriously, you never know if you would be the lucky one

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In contrast (local office Mississauga rather than Toronto, but for in-person events, test, interview, and oath, we had itinerant services more locally, a 1000k or so from Mississauga), the published processing time for ROUTINELY processed applications, when I applied, was 24 months. BUT I took the oath barely a few days more than eight months from when my application arrived at CPC-Sydney by courier. Some persons sitting next to me at the oath ceremony had applied barely six months before. But there were indeed others at my oath ceremony for whom the process took two years and there were many in multiple forums complaining their own timeline well exceeded two years, with scores enduring timelines, then, longer than three years.

Timelines for individual applications vary very widely even during the most normal and best of times. In times like this, all bets are off.

While there APPEAR to be patterns for some local offices, the source of this information is very limited, a very small sample with little or no indication the sample is at all representative. So that sort of information is especially unreliable.

Beyond the obvious, that this year's situation will result in significantly longer processing times (for virtually everything), proffered estimates, even in big ballpark ranges, are no more than wild guesses. Anyone claiming to know how this is going to shake out in the coming months and year is NOT to be trusted.

Reactions: satya10

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The number you see on the website is a general timeline. 12 months doesn't apply to everyone. One of the main factors is if your application is routine or non-routine.

For instance, if you get an additional documents request (usually the dreaded Residency Questionnaire), the application is considered non-routine and it might take longer to be processed than a routine application.

Having said that, to get some idea of the processing times, you might want to look at the tracker sheets. The tracker for 2020 is in my signature. Also, there is a 2019 tracker. The average processing time used be something around 6 - 9 months for a sizable number of applications (at least in 2019). Given the COVID-19 situation, it is only going to be higher than that.
Thank you for your comments, fingers crossed on my application.