+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Average processing time for British citizen.

LFW

Jun 15, 2015
Hello

I am Canadian, living in England with my British husband. We recently had a new baby boy (born in England) and would like to move back to Vancouver, BC to finally establish our roots. I've started the family sponsorship application but have had many questions along the way. I've learnt that my husband will not be able to work in Canada until his residency is approved. I've learnt it is not advised to move back to Canada and 'settle' until the residency is approved. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on any point!)
We originally planned to move back in October once my mat leave pay is up in England... But now seeing the application may take longer to process, we will have to decide what to do in the meantime. So my question to is, have you any idea how long it takes for an application to be processed in the UK? It says 24 months on the cic website which seems incredibly long and incorrect! In the application it asks the sponsor to provide proof of moving back to Canada, how am I suppose to get a house to rent or a job if I don't know when my husband will be aloud to live and work in the country? We can't move separately. I could give my moms address for the time being as proof?
As for the pr card. Once my husband gets the approval, he will have 5 years and then he can apply for citizenship, is that correct? Within the 3 years is it?

I basically need to plan my life here but don't know what time frame to do it in!
Once he is approved, how long do we have to move??

Thanks ALL

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
I believe that straightforward applications for UK applicants are generally done in less than a year. The reason it shows over two years on the CIC site is because many old files were transferred from Islamabad, so they severely skewed the numbers.

Your husband will not be able to work, that is correct. If he wants to work, he needs to find an employer that is willing and able to obtain an LMO, and then a work permit.
You can certainly go to Canada before the PR application is finalized. The only problem may be at the border, since CBSA wants to ensure that people coming in are visitors. It is difficult to prove that you are visitor if you show up with all your belongings and no house or job back home. Many people have done it, but you need to act like a visitor, so don't bring all your worldly possessions. It also helps to have a return ticket, ideally a refundable one.

In the application, I gave them a general date of when I was planning on returning. I chose that date based on the timelines I had seen for other applicants going through my visa office. I submitted a written plan and support letters from family, offering us a place to live, as well as some general plans for work opportunities. It's fairly standard for them to request more information closer to the date, at which point you can make more certain plans. I had started to exchange money, applied for a few jobs online, and had purchased travel insurance for my first few months back, so when CIC requested more information, I sent that in and we had the visa less than a month later.
There have been lots of thread about providing proof of intent to return. Take a look around.

The regulations for citizenship are different from those for PR. The PR card and citizenship are not linked. The PR card is valid for 5 years. After that you need to renew it, unless you have become a Canadian citizen. The current requirements to become a citizen are 4 out of the past 6 years, with a minimum of 183 days in Canada for each of those 4 years.

When your receive your COPR (confirmation of permanent residence), the expiry date is linked to your medicals. It's generally a year after the medicals were done. CIC can choose to extend your medicals if they are expired or expiring. They can also request that you do them again.

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15.05.2015 in hand 29.05.2015
LANDED..........
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-outland-london-uk-applications-t49436.17190.html

The UK thread has been invaluable to me :)

CookieM

Jun 4, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24 Oct 2014
File Transfer...
10 Feb 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
IP: 10 June 2015 DM: 03 July 2015 COPR: 21 July 2015 Lawyers received doc & 03 Aug 2015 I received the COPR
LANDED..........
05 August 2015
I agree with MilesAway!

My situation is the otherway around, my husband is Canadian and I am British. We currently live in Canada, we arrived last year May 2014. We brought all our belonging from the UK, my husband had a good offer here in Canada. I came here as a visitor with my son (visitor but Canadian citizen through his dad). The custom officer asked us what is our plan in Canada because we had papers for our goods shipped to Canada that needed to be signed and approved by the custom office to be released. We basically told him that; I am here to test the Canadian lifestyle for 6 months and if I/we like it then we will apply for an extension and for a permanent resident for me (yes we had a return refundable tickets for 3 of us).

I/We did not have any problem entering Canada. Now that I live here in Canada here is what I found;

Disadvantage of moving to Canada while waiting PR
- I am unable to work, not for just few months but for uncertain period of time! :(
- I pay a "premium" for everything such as less than 6 months course (French lessons), Medical bills (my insurance do not cover everything) because I am a visitor.
- Everything become so expensive especially if there is only one income
- Finding the right job is not that easy as in England, may need to write Canadian exams to match my qualification in Britain.
- Although my application is Outland (from London to Ottawa) we are scared to go out of Canada just in case we are refused entry (yes I have my extension valid until end of 2015)
- Another visa extension costs money! (proof of funds in our bank account etc) -- but there's only one income!
- Stress of not knowing if your visa will be issued or not! Never know what they may find in an application even if you are confident that all is 100% perfect.

Advantages of moving to Canada while waiting PR
- If you come to Canada now as a visitor and apply Outland, it is likely that your application will be re-directed to Ottawa - Ottawa currently process applications in 8-10 months?? (I am still waiting for mine to be processed!)
- We are already in Canada, almost settled just waiting for my paperwork
- No need to waiting for the confirmation of PR with the landing date, no pressure to land! You can just flagpole.

I would suggest that you stay in England and apply there (Outland) and let your husband enjoy his job and save more pounds :) Honestly nothing is frustrating than waiting and waiting for uncertain period of time! :(

This is just my experience and my opinion. I wish we stayed in England and waited for my PR there then moved to Canada. All the best!

kettle

Mar 19, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga (London)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
15.05.2015 in hand 29.05.2015
LANDED..........
CookieM said:
Advantages of moving to Canada while waiting PR
- If you come to Canada now as a visitor and apply Outland, it is likely that your application will be re-directed to Ottawa - Ottawa currently process applications in 8-10 months?? (I am still waiting for mine to be processed!)
The bolded is false. There is no proven correlation between country of residence and where your application is sent. Many living in the UK have had their applications sent to Ottawa or Mississauga, and many living in Canada have had their applications sent to London.

I would hate to see someone disappointed by incorrect information. Be prepared for the worst (London)

CookieM

Jun 4, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24 Oct 2014
File Transfer...
10 Feb 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
IP: 10 June 2015 DM: 03 July 2015 COPR: 21 July 2015 Lawyers received doc & 03 Aug 2015 I received the COPR
LANDED..........
05 August 2015
kettle said:
The bolded is false. There is no proven correlation between country of residence and where your application is sent. Many living in the UK have had their applications sent to Ottawa or Mississauga, and many living in Canada have had their applications sent to London.

I would hate to see someone disappointed by incorrect information. Be prepared for the worst (London)

Kettle, I have mentioned that "This is just my experience and my opinion.." the letter I got for my husband's sponsorship approval said my application was sent to Ottawa VO instead of London , I quote:
This visa office was selected based on your relative’s home address and the requirements of the
Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

Also,that is why I have added "Question Marks" after my comment of 8-10 months because some people have had their DMs around that period of time...see some Aug, Sept applicants etc for Ottawa VO

I have said "Likely" that your application will be re-directed to Ottawa -- this is based on my experience!

I am NOT giving false information but sharing my experience of this journey! & this is NOT to disappoint but to let LFW what they may experience in this journey!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CookieM said:
I have said "Likely" that your application will be re-directed to Ottawa -- this is based on my experience!

I am NOT giving false information but sharing my experience of this journey! & this is NOT to disappoint but to let LFW what they may experience in this journey!
I agree with kettle. You stated:

CookieM said:
- If you come to Canada now as a visitor and apply Outland, it is likely that your application will be re-directed to Ottawa
It is NOT at all "likely" that a person's app will go to Ottawa if they are in Canada. It was a very misleading statement. You cannot say that something is "likely" to happen just because it happened to you.

CookieM

Jun 4, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24 Oct 2014
File Transfer...
10 Feb 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
05 August 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
I agree with kettle. You stated:

It is NOT at all "likely" that a person's app will go to Ottawa if they are in Canada. It was a very misleading statement. You cannot say that something is "likely" to happen just because it happened to you.
Okay, please accept my big apology to all for saying "likely" -- I made a big mistake for referring to my own situation... Thanks for your feedback.

SchnookoLoly

Champion Member
Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 Jan 2012
File Transfer...
24 Apr 2012
Passport Req..
26 Jun 2012
VISA ISSUED...
21 Aug 2012
LANDED..........
08 Dec 2012
Hello!

Going to answer your question in chunks. I suggest you also have a thorough read of this wiki article on family class sponsorship specific for Brits: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada as well as the FAQ and Spreadsheet that are both linked in my signature. Here we go.

LFW said:
Hello

I am Canadian, living in England with my British husband. We recently had a new baby boy (born in England) and would like to move back to Vancouver, BC to finally establish our roots. I've started the family sponsorship application but have had many questions along the way. I've learnt that my husband will not be able to work in Canada until his residency is approved. I've learnt it is not advised to move back to Canada and 'settle' until the residency is approved. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on any point!)
You are correct that your husband won't be able to work, however he can come to Canada as a visitor and wait without an issue (well, 99% without an issue!), since you've already applied for PR. The wiki article linked above has a section in it called "Waiting in Canada while the application is processing: Dual Intent", read that very thoroughly, it explains exactly what you need to know about waiting in Canada as a visitor.

We originally planned to move back in October once my mat leave pay is up in England... But now seeing the application may take longer to process, we will have to decide what to do in the meantime. So my question to is, have you any idea how long it takes for an application to be processed in the UK? It says 24 months on the cic website which seems incredibly long and incorrect!
As has been said, the 24-28 months of processing time quoted online is because of the overflow from Islamabad that London is dealing with. The number isn't really accurate for 'normal' British applicants. In the FAQ start from here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ#How_long_will_it_take.3F and read that and the next 4-5 questions, it outlines it all pretty clearly in terms of what to expect. In addition, the spreadsheet in my signature tracks applications filed by Brits (and nationals who normally apply via London like Swedes, Irish, etc) and shows average processing times split by each of the 3 offices that might process your application, so it gives you a better idea of what to expect. As has been said, hope for Mississauga, be content with Ottawa, plan for London.

In the application it asks the sponsor to provide proof of moving back to Canada, how am I suppose to get a house to rent or a job if I don't know when my husband will be aloud to live and work in the country? We can't move separately. I could give my moms address for the time being as proof?
This is addressed in the FAQ: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ#Item_20:_Proof_of_intent_to_return_-_how_do_I_prove_I_want_to_move_back_to_Canada.3F

As for the pr card. Once my husband gets the approval, he will have 5 years and then he can apply for citizenship, is that correct? Within the 3 years is it?
Nope, you are a bit confused here I think.

So first, the PR card is SEPARATE from his qualifying period for PR - this is a common mistake. When he gets his COPR (which is the document that he'll be issued at the end of the sponsorship process) he'll take that to a Canadian border (airplane, land, whatever) and officially become a PR at that time. It's on that day that his PR "clock" starts ticking. So if you land on let's say 1 December 2015, your window for maintaining your PR runs from that date until 30 November 2020, even if the PR card you are issued with a few weeks later has an expiry of 1 March 2020... your window of consideration is 5 years from the day you LANDED. The expiry date on the PR card is completely separate.

In order to maintain PR, your husband will have to fulfil 730 days in Canada in that 5 year window (so roughly 2 years in 5 years). That two years can be either spent physically inside Canadian borders, or otherwise abroad with his Canadian spouse (you)... so as long as you are living together outside of Canada, or he's physically inside of Canada, you're fine to renew your PR.

Citizenship is a different beast. In order to obtain Canadian citizenship, your husband will have to prove that he was physically present inside Canadian borders for 4 years in a 6 year period. If he can prove that then he can file for citizenship, and that application process I think takes roughly a year or so. He cannot use time spent living with you abroad towards this, this requirement is strictly time spent inside Canada, with or without you.

So PR and Citizenship requirements are separate beasts, make sure you have those straight in your head. :)

I basically need to plan my life here but don't know what time frame to do it in!
Once he is approved, how long do we have to move??

Thanks ALL
The COPR document will have an expiry date on it. Typically that date will be one year from the date you had your medical done. (Read this for what happens if your medical expires: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ#My_medicals_are_going_to_expire._Should_I_contact_CIC.3F ) So if your medical was done say 10 June 2015, then your COPR would generally expire on 9 June 2016, unless your application takes longer in which case one of the scenarios outlined on the FAQ will apply to you.

All that means, though, is that you have to LAND before COPR expires - LANDING and MOVING are two different things. Read this section of the FAQ and the links within it: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousal_Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ#Landing

That answers everything you asked. Do have a solid read of the wiki articles as well as the FAQ in general as it will answer a load of your questions. The FAQ is laid out in the same order as the application, so you should be able to have the FAQ open and follow along with it. I have also used as much similar terminology in the FAQ as used on the forms so a quick CTRL+F should help narrow down questions if you're looking for specific things in there.

Hope that helps! :)