+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Auto insurance for American waiting for PR

Leah&Jeremy

Sep 15, 2018
Hello,

I was wondering what everyone did for auto insurance for their spouse while they're awaiting their PR? My hubby doesn't have his OWP yet, and hold an American drivers license. All I could see online about adding him to my policy is that any extra drivers need to have an Ontario licence. Can my husband get his own policy somewhere? Or can we exchange his American license for n Ontario one now before he even has the OWP?

Thanks in advance!

LisaH

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Hello,

I was wondering what everyone did for auto insurance for their spouse while they're awaiting their PR? My hubby doesn't have his OWP yet, and hold an American drivers license. All I could see online about adding him to my policy is that any extra drivers need to have an Ontario licence. Can my husband get his own policy somewhere? Or can we exchange his American license for n Ontario one now before he even has the OWP?

Thanks in advance!
Not sure about Ontario rules, but in Calgary I was able to get insurance with my US driver's license. I provided a driving abstract from the DMV and insurance reports from the 2 companies I had been insured with in the US showing claims (or lack of in my case). After I got my OWP, I applied for a Alberta license and kept same insurance.

Reactions: Leah&Jeremy

Leah&Jeremy

Sep 15, 2018
Not sure about Ontario rules, but in Calgary I was able to get insurance with my US driver's license. I provided a driving abstract from the DMV and insurance reports from the 2 companies I had been insured with in the US showing claims (or lack of in my case). After I got my OWP, I applied for a Alberta license and kept same insurance.
Thank you! Maybe we should call round to some other insurance companies. We're you able to get the record from the DMV online from Canada?

LisaH

Star Member
Jan 21, 2019
Thank you! Maybe we should call round to some other insurance companies. We're you able to get the record from the DMV online from Canada?
My state's DMV offers driving abstracts online. I worked with an insurance broker who checked multiple companies for me and even though he was a broker, his rates quoted were less than non-broker quotes I received.

Reactions: Leah&Jeremy

Leah&Jeremy

Sep 15, 2018
My state's DMV offers driving abstracts online. I worked with an insurance broker who checked multiple companies for me and even though he was a broker, his rates quoted were less than non-broker quotes I received.
Thank you! I think I'll see if I can find a broker and maybe go that route!

Reactions: LisaH