+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AUTHORIZATION TO RETURN TO CANADA (ARC) due to MARRIAGE

ash309

Jun 16, 2008
Etobicoke
Hello,

I was in Canada since 2003 (i was 15) with my parents on refugee bases. Our refugee case was rejected and so was the appeal. By now I was 18 and finished high school and wanted to study further. My parents told me to wait as our lawyer had appiled for us on humanitarian grounds, but turned out later we found out that the idiot never applied for us and was just fooling us around. He took the money from us and made us do all the paper work but never cared to submit the application papers. Anyways, I got frustrated as 2 years passed by in this fuss and decided to leave the country as we were on deportation. I went to the immigration office myself and told them I want to leave and was assisted in the procedure and completed it all in less then a week (I was in a rush as my university had started). Now i'm studying in Malaysia.

However my fiance is in Canada (a Canadian citizen) and he wants me to be in canada after marriage. I don't plan on getting married for another 3 years but want to know if there can be any problems. I was given the AUTHORIZATION TO RETURN TO CANADA (ARC) package when I was leaving Canada by the immigration officer in toronto and told that if i ever want to return i must get that signed.

Now my question is, does the ARC have any possible way of rejecting me after me and my finace are legally married? He will apply for me under the Spouse Sponsorship program. So do you think it can cause any problems as to my ARC being rejected? I've read tons of post and read of people apply for ARC to go to Canada and work or study but those are temporary situation so the ARC would be rejected but my situation is a permanent one. How long would the process take after the marriage (inlucing the sponsorship and the ARC approval)? I just want to know this so I can plan out somethings as if it will take a year then we will get married in 2009 if not then in 2010-11.

Thank you all in advance,

Ash

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ash309 said:
Hello,

I was in Canada since 2003 (i was 15) with my parents on refugee bases. Our refugee case was rejected and so was the appeal. By now I was 18 and finished high school and wanted to study further. My parents told me to wait as our lawyer had appiled for us on humanitarian grounds, but turned out later we found out that the idiot never applied for us and was just fooling us around. He took the money from us and made us do all the paper work but never cared to submit the application papers. Anyways, I got frustrated as 2 years passed by in this fuss and decided to leave the country as we were on deportation. I went to the immigration office myself and told them I want to leave and was assisted in the procedure and completed it all in less then a week (I was in a rush as my university had started). Now i'm studying in Malaysia.

However my fiance is in Canada (a Canadian citizen) and he wants me to be in canada after marriage. I don't plan on getting married for another 3 years but want to know if there can be any problems. I was given the AUTHORIZATION TO RETURN TO CANADA (ARC) package when I was leaving Canada by the immigration officer in toronto and told that if i ever want to return i must get that signed.

Now my question is, does the ARC have any possible way of rejecting me after me and my finace are legally married? He will apply for me under the Spouse Sponsorship program. So do you think it can cause any problems as to my ARC being rejected? I've read tons of post and read of people apply for ARC to go to Canada and work or study but those are temporary situation so the ARC would be rejected but my situation is a permanent one. How long would the process take after the marriage (inlucing the sponsorship and the ARC approval)? I just want to know this so I can plan out somethings as if it will take a year then we will get married in 2009 if not then in 2010-11.

Thank you all in advance,

Ash

1. Yes the ARC can be refused and it is in a lot of cases, including spousal.
2. It takes about a year for approval of ARC, so you have to add that time to the sponsorship.

PMM

ash309

Jun 16, 2008
Etobicoke
Thanks for the speedy reply pmm - so if it is rejected then what - is there an appeal process - if so then what are the chances of it going through and its time line like?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ash309 said:
Thanks for the speedy reply pmm - so if it is rejected then what - is there an appeal process - if so then what are the chances of it going through and its time line like?
There would be a spousal appeal on the refusal of the application. No idea if you would be successful, it depends on how strong the relationship is and other factors.

PMM

raemond

Feb 19, 2014
dont listen to thesepeople.u were only 15 when ur parents applied for refugee.u were a minor so there is an excellen t chance that arc will be granted

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
raemond said:
dont listen to thesepeople.u were only 15 when ur parents applied for refugee.u were a minor so there is an excellen t chance that arc will be granted
The thread was from back in 2008 so likely whatever ship it was must have long set sail!