+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australian wanting to study in Canada

ryanm32

Jan 21, 2018
Hi everybody,
Just looking for some additional advice on study permits for Canada.
I am an Australian Citizen 27 years old looking to come and study Heavy Mechanical 1st year Trade Foundation course at either Selkirk college in Nelson, BC or Okanagan College in Kelowna, BC. The courses start in september 2018.
The course is a full-time 36week program that will give me a 1st year equivalent trade certificate in the Heavy Mechanical trade.
Consulting with my lawyer the plan, while studying the course is to find an employer to take me on through the BC PNP stream and hopefully gain permanent residence this way as i don't have the points or experience to qualify through EE at this time. I have already done my iec open work permit so i don't have that option to use anymore.
My Questions are:
1. As the course is over 6 months, will i be able to work the 20hrs a week?
2.Will i have to apply for a separate working study visa?
3. Will i be eligible for a post-graduate visa after i finish the course?
4. Is this a good plan to gain permanent residence in the future as it seems like the only option at this time?
5.Has anyone else done a similar process as this and gained permanent residence?
Look forward to hearing from someone who can help.
Thanks in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everybody,
Just looking for some additional advice on study permits for Canada.
I am an Australian Citizen 27 years old looking to come and study Heavy Mechanical 1st year Trade Foundation course at either Selkirk college in Nelson, BC or Okanagan College in Kelowna, BC. The courses start in september 2018.
The course is a full-time 36week program that will give me a 1st year equivalent trade certificate in the Heavy Mechanical trade.
Consulting with my lawyer the plan, while studying the course is to find an employer to take me on through the BC PNP stream and hopefully gain permanent residence this way as i don't have the points or experience to qualify through EE at this time. I have already done my iec open work permit so i don't have that option to use anymore.
My Questions are:
1. As the course is over 6 months, will i be able to work the 20hrs a week?
2.Will i have to apply for a separate working study visa?
3. Will i be eligible for a post-graduate visa after i finish the course?
4. Is this a good plan to gain permanent residence in the future as it seems like the only option at this time?
5.Has anyone else done a similar process as this and gained permanent residence?
Look forward to hearing from someone who can help.
Thanks in advance!
Hi

1. Yes, you can work 20 hours/week while studying and full-time while on scheduled breaks.

2. You only need a study permit.

3. If you attend a public college, yes, you should get a PGWP.

4. It's not guaranteed but it could work.

ryanm32

Jan 21, 2018
Hi

1. Yes, you can work 20 hours/week while studying and full-time while on scheduled breaks.

2. You only need a study permit.

3. If you attend a public college, yes, you should get a PGWP.

4. It's not guaranteed but it could work.
Thanks for your quick reply! I also have a certificate of qualification for Landscape Horticulture in Australia that i was going to challenge in BC for the red seal so i could be gain enough points to be eligible for the federal skilled trades program.
The only problem with that program is i would need to come back to canada to sit the exam which would be very costly and requires 80% to pass the exam, they only do a few rounds a year for the FST program.
Do you know if i would need to have a job offer in Canada to qualify under the FST program or can i do any job after i gain residency through EE?

dreamy2536

Star Member
Dec 2, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Dhaka VFS
App. Filed.......
27-11-2017
Doc's Request.
30-11-2017 [Additional documents]
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
01-12-2017
Med's Done....
04-12-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2017
LANDED..........
Expected 30-06-2018
Thanks for your quick reply! I also have a certificate of qualification for Landscape Horticulture in Australia that i was going to challenge in BC for the red seal so i could be gain enough points to be eligible for the federal skilled trades program.
The only problem with that program is i would need to come back to canada to sit the exam which would be very costly and requires 80% to pass the exam, they only do a few rounds a year for the FST program.
Do you know if i would need to have a job offer in Canada to qualify under the FST program or can i do any job after i gain residency through EE?
Hiya!
You might find answers from fellow Aussies on a facebook page called Aussies in Toronto. I am an active member too on that page having lived/studied in Australia for many years.
I also have a mate who is a tradie (mechanic in Toronto). He might be able to answer your questions. Inbox me for more info.

Cheers!

Reactions: crissiron

crissiron

Mar 14, 2017
Hiya!
You might find answers from fellow Aussies on a facebook page called Aussies in Toronto. I am an active member too on that page having lived/studied in Australia for many years.
I also have a mate who is a tradie (mechanic in Toronto). He might be able to answer your questions. Inbox me for more info.

Cheers!
Nice info. I am almost on the same boat as @ryanm32. Can I also message you regarding some queries? I will also request to join that FB group. thanks heaps!

dreamy2536

Star Member
Dec 2, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Dhaka VFS
App. Filed.......
27-11-2017
Doc's Request.
30-11-2017 [Additional documents]
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
01-12-2017
Med's Done....
04-12-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2017
LANDED..........
Expected 30-06-2018
Nice info. I am almost on the same boat as @ryanm32. Can I also message you regarding some queries? I will also request to join that FB group. thanks heaps!
Hi there,
sure thing mate! Feel free to inbox me!
Happy to help!
Cheers!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. As an aside, you realize that you won't be able to start an Apprenticeship after the course, since only PRs and Citizens are eligible.

Reactions: scylla

ryanm32

Jan 21, 2018
Hi

1. As an aside, you realize that you won't be able to start an Apprenticeship after the course, since only PRs and Citizens are eligible.
Yes i understand what your saying, my lawyer has a plan that i would start a full-time job (if i can find someone who is willing to take me on) as a heavy duty mechanic (shop hand) after i finish the 1st year of my course on my post graduate visa and hope to gain PNP BC through that employer, wait until i get accepted through EE as a permanent resident and then follow on with an apprenticeship in the trade so i am able to study at college without having to pay excessive fees. Seems like a bit of a long shot to me and was just hoping i could find someone on here that has gone down a similar pathway before i spend all of this money.
Im really thinking that i should come back to Canada and sit the red seal exam for my Landscape Horticulture Technician Certificate (hope i pass) and then hope to gain permanent residence through the Federal Skilled Trades Program if I'm selected.