+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australian Citizen - Wanting to apply for PR here in Canada

Camwow9

Nov 26, 2015
Hi,

Please excuse me if this information has already been presented in the forums.

I am now on my second working/holiday permit (IEC) and it expires Feb 2018.

I am looking to apply for my PR (via Canadian experience class). I just want to know how to get started.

Here are some facts about me:
- Australian citizen
- Have at least 2 years full-time experience working in the fIT sector.
- Arrived in Canada Nov-2013 and currently working full time.
- Fluent English speaker (no french).
- Bachelor degree obtained back in Australia (3x year program).

I just want to be prepared on what documents I need to submit for the CEC PR.

Does anyone know if I still require to submit an English language test?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Cameron

Slyke

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
I'm also an Australian.

You should create your Express Entry profile ASAP, after gathering the documents I listed below.

You need to do either IELTS or CELPIP exam (the language test). Yes, I know it's stupid since we speak English natively and have a bachelor's degree from an English institute in an English speaking country.

You also need to get your education accredited, AKA an ECA report. I used WES for this (World Education Services).

You need a police certificate stating that you have no criminal records, this must be issued by the AFP. Not from any state police.

Do this immediately. Once you've done the language test, and have your ECA report, create your express entry profile. Doing so before having these documents will make that profile ineligible and you'll need to make it again.

Based off your information, you should be picked up in the next draw after creating your profile assuming you are under 31 years old (and you don't do terrible on the language test). I'm assuming scores are staying around 485ish.

Don't leave any of this to the last minute.

Hansdza

Mar 7, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just a dumb question from me..

Why do you guys want to move to Canada? Is it better than Australia?

I'm a PR here and want to move to Australia instead,

Call me nuts..

riasat.abir

Aug 9, 2012
Burnaby
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2015-12-17
AOR Received.
2016-02-22
Med's Done....
2016-03-09
Passport Req..
2016-08-17
VISA ISSUED...
2016-08-30
LANDED..........
2016-09-09
Hansdza said:
Call me nuts..
May be because it's more beautiful here and he doesn't want to live with such creatures!
http://mashable.com/2015/08/06/australia-most-dangerous-animals/
https://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar/pictures-that-prove-australia-is-the-craziest

Specterz

Apr 2, 2015
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
Jan 06, 2017
Med's Done....
Mar 07, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 14, 2017
OMG! I had a thought that if Canada didn't work out, I will try for Australia, but after seeing these pictures. Hell NO!

Slyke

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Hansdza said:

Call me nuts..
I also work in IT like the OP.

While quality of life between Australia and Canada are similar, these are the issues I have with Australia:
Many Australians are xenophobic and not as politically aware as Canadians.
There's a larger class divide in Australia than Canada.
While our minimum wage is much higher than Canada's, our median wage is very close to the lower class. This means that the middle class and lower class have almost the same quality of life. Our lower class is similar to Canada's lower class, but I'd much rather be poor in Australia than in Canada.
Things are generally much more expensive in Australia, because companies can.
You think the housing situation is bad in Vancouver? Wait until you go to Sydney.
TTC is bad? You will love it once you've experienced Sydney's CityRail.
If I were doing the same job as I am in Toronto in Sydney (and I have lived in Sydney and did the same job I'm doing in Toronto for 3 years), I lived in a much worse apartment, much further outside the core (at least 40mins-1hr travel time each way). In Toronto I live and work in the core.
I think the Rockies is much better than out mountains in Australia, but Australia does have very nice beaches and mountain ranges/rain forests.
Our government is full of corruption, just Google any of these topics: NBN, offshore detention centres, human rights violations, AFP (federal police) corruption, China style internet censorship, spying on Australians both foreign and domestic, both private and public companies corruption and the list goes on. All of which is illegal for any news outlets to release information about due to gag orders and all main news by being owned by 1 company with strong ties to the government.
Our government is backwards thinking, using delaying tactics on LGBT issues like legalising marriage for them, revoking carbon tax, pulling funding from research and STEM fields and investing it into mining (coal/uranium) and our insanely huge housing bubble.

Animals:
While many animals and plants are dangerous in Australia, they'll generally leave you alone unless you go messing with them. Respect the wildlife and you'll do fine. It's very rare to be attacked by a wild animal unless you are pissing them off. The Gympie Gympie (you seriously need to Google about this plant, you wouldn't believe me if I told you) and Wait-awhile plant are probably the 2 major plants you got to look out for, and both grow in rain forest areas. If you're in grass land, wear boots and try to keep out of the long grass, don't go over turning logs etc and the snakes will leave you alone. If you see a Taipan or King Brown snake, run. Look where you're walking to avoid Death Adders.
Stay clear of wild kangaroos, while they'll generally run away, an alpha male will make you have a very bad day. Actually stay clear of all wildlife. If it's injured, call animal rescue and don't attempt to touch it.
Jumping Jacks Ants/Bullet Ants are extremely vicious and painful, and can kill you if they cause an anaphylactic shock without medical treatment (which can happen in anyone, even those not allergic to anything). If you've been stung before and didn't have a reaction, you should be fine. Just being near their nest is a violation to them, and they will find you. Check your area before setting up camp or sitting down. They are generally in arid and rain forest areas. Their nests are big lumps in the ground. They are 1-3cms big can jump about twice that distance. They do climb trees and will get on you that way if you stay around long enough for them to get angry enough.

Comparison between Sydney and Vancouver:
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Canada&country2=Australia&city1=Vancouver&city2=Sydney

Sydney and Toronto:
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Canada&country2=Australia&city1=Toronto&city2=Sydney

All in all, I suggest you go there for a year or 2 and see if you like it. Don't give up your Canadian PR though.

Hansdza

Mar 7, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I see, Toronto Vs Sydney or Vancouver Vs Sydney

What about Calgary/Edmonton Vs any comparable cities in Australia

Thanks again mate for the Info

Slyke

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Hansdza said:
I see, Toronto Vs Sydney or Vancouver Vs Sydney

What about Calgary/Edmonton Vs any comparable cities in Australia

Thanks again mate for the Info
Just click on the link and change the selection to compare any 2 cities.

Sydney is considered Australia's most expensive city, with Melbourne coming close behind.

Vancouver is considered Canada's most expensive city to buy/rent in (At least, where many people live anyway), and Toronto is considered Canada's most expensive city for everything else.