+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****August 2019 - Inland Spousal PR + OWP****

HomeBaked

May 31, 2019
If you provided an email address for the sponsor then check that email. AOR goes to the sponsor’s email address. Make sure you also check the junk/spam folder to be sure.

It’s worth checking the mailbox just in case your app has been returned to you.

If you have a CIC account, you can also try to search for the app by trying to link it to your account. It’ll ask you for some information, make sure you’re using the Principal Applicants info. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1223&top=3

You can also try giving CIC a call to see if they have any info about your application. Call 1-888-242-2100 and press 3, 4, 1, 0. This will get you in the queue to speak to somebody and (depending on what time you call) a call back option so you can leave your number and an agent will call you back when it’s your turn.
Thank you for your advice.

I called and found out that my package was received on August 19 and returned as incomplete on September 20th.
I have not received anything in the mail! What would you suggest I do from here? Apparently there is no tracking of returned applications?

Brayan&Rachell

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
13-08-2019
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Med's Request
07-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
24-03-2020
I hope I`ll get reimbursed :)
I sent Biometric payment with just to be on the safe side
They will reimburse you the balance :) Although I heard that they will do that after the application is complete - so it will take awhile!

Reactions: Elk-hunter

Brayan&Rachell

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
13-08-2019
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Med's Request
07-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
24-03-2020
Thank you for your advice.

I called and found out that my package was received on August 19 and returned as incomplete on September 20th.
I have not received anything in the mail! What would you suggest I do from here? Apparently there is no tracking of returned applications?
I'm sorry to hear that they returned your application. They do take their sweet time when returning applications. If you know the reason why they returned it, by all means start correcting the necessary documents or fees. Otherwise, there is nothing you can do but wait for it.

Reactions: HomeBaked

HomeBaked

May 31, 2019
I'm sorry to hear that they returned your application. They do take their sweet time when returning applications. If you know the reason why they returned it, by all means start correcting the necessary documents or fees. Otherwise, there is nothing you can do but wait for it.
Thank you so much for your response. The CIC agent on the phone said he couldn't tell me what was missing or incomplete unfortunately. Is it typical to wait 20+ days from the date of marking incomplete? Does that mean they are just taking their time internally and its not a postal issue as I have feared?

Also another question if possible, do you think I should apply for a paper visitor application ASAP?

Luap88

Star Member
Jul 13, 2017
Are there any major issues with moving to a different province (not Quebec) during the application? Our application has just had AOR and the OWP should be received soon, but we're planning on moving to BC from Ontario in June 2020 and it seems like the application might still be ongoing at that point.

Is it simply a case of updating them with our new address once we have it?

Brayan&Rachell

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
13-08-2019
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Med's Request
07-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
24-03-2020
Thank you so much for your response. The CIC agent on the phone said he couldn't tell me what was missing or incomplete unfortunately. Is it typical to wait 20+ days from the date of marking incomplete? Does that mean they are just taking their time internally and its not a postal issue as I have feared?

Also another question if possible, do you think I should apply for a paper visitor application ASAP?
I would say it is within normal timeframe. I have known some people that waited ~3 weeks for their applications in the mail. It's definitely not a postal issue - I know they are cautious of that. But yes they probably do take their time to return it.

And what do you mean by paper visitor application? What is your status right now?

Brayan&Rachell

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
13-08-2019
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Med's Request
07-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
24-03-2020
Are there any major issues with moving to a different province (not Quebec) during the application? Our application has just had AOR and the OWP should be received soon, but we're planning on moving to BC from Ontario in June 2020 and it seems like the application might still be ongoing at that point.

Is it simply a case of updating them with our new address once we have it?
Yes, you will have to send them that new information through webform. But do so when you have the actual address and when you have the date when you're physically moving. You don't want mail correspondence to go to your previous address, or for them to send it to your new one too early.

HomeBaked

May 31, 2019
I would say it is within normal timeframe. I have known some people that waited ~3 weeks for their applications in the mail. It's definitely not a postal issue - I know they are cautious of that. But yes they probably do take their time to return it.

And what do you mean by paper visitor application? What is your status right now?
I came on an IEC/working holiday, I already had a Canadian partner, we became common-law during my stay in Canada.
My two year open work permit expires on November 24. I was under the impression that if my status is going to possibly run out while waiting for/reapplying for a PR + OWP, that I should apply for a visitor visa so I can remain in the country while waiting for a decision, albeit not working. I then read somewhere else that I should apply for the visitor visa by mail, as it can buy a little more time.

Please let me know if I have any of this info incorrect or you have some other suggestions. Thanks so much for taking time to respond.

Luap88

Star Member
Jul 13, 2017
I came on an IEC/working holiday, I already had a Canadian partner, we became common-law during my stay in Canada.
My two year open work permit expires on November 24. I was under the impression that if my status is going to possibly run out while waiting for/reapplying for a PR + OWP, that I should apply for a visitor visa so I can remain in the country while waiting for a decision, albeit not working. I then read somewhere else that I should apply for the visitor visa by mail, as it can buy a little more time.

Please let me know if I have any of this info incorrect or you have some other suggestions. Thanks so much for taking time to respond.
If you're applying for an OWP alongside your PR application and the application is received before your IEC visa expires, then I believe you're on implied status and can continue to work for the same employer whilst they make a decision on your OWP. You have to remain in Canada to maintain implied status and you can't change employers until the OWP is issued, but as long as you're in status (have a valid work permit) when your OWP is received, you're fine.

You'd have to stop working if your IEC has expired and your OWP application is returned for any reason.

HomeBaked

May 31, 2019
If you're applying for an OWP alongside your PR application and the application is received before your IEC visa expires, then I believe you're on implied status and can continue to work for the same employer whilst they make a decision on your OWP. You have to remain in Canada to maintain implied status and you can't change employers until the OWP is issued, but as long as you're in status (have a valid work permit) when your OWP is received, you're fine.

You'd have to stop working if your IEC has expired and your OWP application is returned for any reason.
This is where things get tricky, because I have already sent my OWP+PR application and I found out that it was incomplete and returned to me. Its been 20 days since marked as incomplete and I have not received my application back. My greatest fear is that it was somehow lost in the mail and and that I would have to restart the application process from the beginning, in which case I would want to have some sort of status, most likely visitor? Also I was under the impression that an IEC can not receive implied working status. Apologies for my confusion.

Brayan&Rachell

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
13-08-2019
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Med's Request
07-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
24-03-2020

It is always safer to apply for a visitors extension. Keep in mind, this is not a visa - it just maintains your status in case your OWP gets returned at the time you are on implied status.
When you resend your application (PR+OWP) before your status expires in November 24 - the OWP application gives you an implied status and you can by all means rely on it until they make a decision for it. But keep in mind, you HAVE TO be very confident that your OWP won't get returned, because if they return it, and you did not apply for an extension. You will be out of status, you have to stop working immediately and you will have to apply for status restoration ($200) before you can apply for OWP again.

In saying that, you can apply for visitors extension, ideally 30 days before Nov. 24 - for peace of mind. Or you can just send your application again making sure you have all the required documents and paid the right OWP fees ($255). The fees are a major reason for returned applications so be very mindful of that.

HomeBaked

May 31, 2019
It is always safer to apply for a visitors extension. Keep in mind, this is not a visa - it just maintains your status in case your OWP gets returned at the time you are on implied status.
When you resend your application (PR+OWP) before your status expires in November 24 - the OWP application gives you an implied status and you can by all means rely on it until they make a decision for it. But keep in mind, you HAVE TO be very confident that your OWP won't get returned, because if they return it, and you did not apply for an extension. You will be out of status, you have to stop working immediately and you will have to apply for status restoration ($200) before you can apply for OWP again.

In saying that, you can apply for visitors extension, ideally 30 days before Nov. 24 - for peace of mind. Or you can just send your application again making sure you have all the required documents and paid the right OWP fees ($255). The fees are a major reason for returned applications so be very mindful of that.
I appreciate your feedback. Am I correct in saying that the visitors extension is all online and accessible via my CIC account? I believe I was mixing up a TRV/Visitor Visa and a visitor's extension, the latter being much simpler. Would you recommend I apply for the extension ASAP or wait until closer to 30 days prior to status expiring?

Brayan&Rachell

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
13-08-2019
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Med's Request
07-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
24-03-2020
I appreciate your feedback. Am I correct in saying that the visitors extension is all online and accessible via my CIC account? I believe I was mixing up a TRV/Visitor Visa and a visitor's extension, the latter being much simpler. Would you recommend I apply for the extension ASAP or wait until closer to 30 days prior to status expiring?
As you are already in Canada, you don't need to apply for TRV, which is a document that allows you to enter the country. Visitor's extension is when you are currently in Canada and wish to extend your stay beyond the validity of your status (but you have to apply before your status expiry). This is an online application - it s straight forward and can take 2-3 months to to be approved. I have done it personally on December last year.

I would wait closer to 30 days prior, but i suggest you look at the application online as there are some requirements to apply for it.

Edit: May I just ask, as you were on IEC. Do you have ETA? or a multiple entry visa?

HomeBaked

May 31, 2019
As you are already in Canada, you don't need to apply for TRV, which is a document that allows you to enter the country. Visitor's extension is when you are currently in Canada and wish to extend your stay beyond the validity of your status (but you have to apply before your status expiry). This is an online application - it s straight forward and can take 2-3 months to to be approved. I have done it personally on December last year.

I would wait closer to 30 days prior, but i suggest you look at the application online as there are some requirements to apply for it.

Edit: May I just ask, as you were on IEC. Do you have ETA? or a multiple entry visa?
Okay thats good to hear. Thanks. I believe I have an ETA.

Brayan&Rachell

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, ON
App. Filed.......
13-08-2019
AOR Received.
20-09-2019
Med's Request
07-12-2019
Med's Done....
11-12-2019
LANDED..........
24-03-2020
Okay thats good to hear. Thanks. I believe I have an ETA.
Great. It shouldn't be too much of an issue to get your extension then. Some cases, it comes even earlier. Check the processing times online. All the best!