+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Attention - Survival job seekers

Rank2010

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
jnathan,

I am in finance and accouting field. My Houston based company relocated me to Edmonton. I have no one here and had come in advance to look for apt, apply for SIN and health cards.

I had faced numerous difficulties but managed to solve all of these by the grace of god. My US credit is good but no one in Canada bothers about that credit. I had no credit history or rental history in Canada. I had no address in Canada to apply for SIN and health card. Could not apply for cell phone. The apt management initially refused my application and I had to show them my US bank statement and my US mortgage payment history and my employement letter before they re-considered and approved my application. I rented a PO Box within 2 days of arriving in Edmonton for applying for SIN and health card. Even for renting a PO Box, a Canadian address was required. Fortunately, the owner of the store was a kind Indian and after patietnly listening to me, gave me a temporary box # without charging any fee for about 3 weeks. I got my SIN and health cards to that PO box and then changed all addresses to my apt.

The bottom line is, unless you have a friend or relative who can help and guide you initially, it is frustrating and difficult to overcome so many hurdles in this country and one should be determined and strong mentally.

I will keep sharing my thoughts and experiences on this thread from time to time.

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rank2010 said:
jnathan,

I am in finance and accouting field. My Houston based company relocated me to Edmonton. I have no one here and had come in advance to look for apt, apply for SIN and health cards.

I had faced numerous difficulties but managed to solve all of these by the grace of god. My US credit is good but no one in Canada bothers about that credit. I had no credit history or rental history in Canada. I had no address in Canada to apply for SIN and health card. Could not apply for cell phone. The apt management initially refused my application and I had to show them my US bank statement and my US mortgage payment history and my employement letter before they re-considered and approved my application. I rented a PO Box within 2 days of arriving in Edmonton for applying for SIN and health card. Even for renting a PO Box, a Canadian address was required. Fortunately, the owner of the store was a kind Indian and after patietnly listening to me, gave me a temporary box # without charging any fee for about 3 weeks. I got my SIN and health cards to that PO box and then changed all addresses to my apt.

The bottom line is, unless you have a friend or relative who can help and guide you initially, it is frustrating and difficult to overcome so many hurdles in this country and one should be determined and strong mentally.

I will keep sharing my thoughts and experiences on this thread from time to time.
Hi rank2010,

even we faced several hurdles like u during our initial days in toronto.having travelled several european, asian n gulf countries we thought we can manage without anyones help but we faced tough challenges.no one was willing to rent condo to a newcomer,we even tried apartments for quick shelter.everyone wanted credit history,rental history,guarantor,employment letter.one of the rental agents suggested us to give self written personal history ( job profile, conduct, savings etc)to get priority. had tough time changing hotels,packing n unpacking 6 bags from time to time.fortunately po box we cd get without any hurdle n we went on applying for sin,health card,bank cards etc. with that address,we hired po box in the hotel complex we stayed in (sheraton centre) n it was very easy,cash was acceptable.i suggest newcomers to keep this as option.

after abt 1 mth of aggressive search n struggle we got condo without any frnd or relative help.we rented showing only savings,no credit history n rental history obviously,no guarantor, no employment letter n no self descriptive letter.we landed during peak renting season n we learned several things in short time because of this stressful renting process.

I suggest newcomers to understand the differences between different types of accomodation n their renting methods before coming.the key diff between condo n apartment is laundry,condos hv provision of washer n dryer within flat whereas apartments hv common laundry.condos r rented thru rental agent usually whereas apartments r rented thru building management.

Rgds,
Art

Rank2010

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
Art,

Your experience too will help newcomers overcome initial hurdles. It is good for newcomers to take suggestion and guidance from people like us.

agshaheryar

May 24, 2012
Faisalabad
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-07-2009
Doc's Request.
03-09-2009
AOR Received.
24-12-2009
IELTS Request
Sent with Full Docs
File Transfer...
30-06-2010
Med's Request
16-03-2012
Med's Done....
26-04-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 01-11-2012 & PPR2 16-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
04-12-2012
LANDED..........
April 02, 2013
art2012 said:
Hi rank2010,

even we faced several hurdles like u during our initial days in toronto.having travelled several european, asian n gulf countries we thought we can manage without anyones help but we faced tough challenges.no one was willing to rent condo to a newcomer,we even tried apartments for quick shelter.everyone wanted credit history,rental history,guarantor,employment letter.one of the rental agents suggested us to give self written personal history ( job profile, conduct, savings etc)to get priority. had tough time changing hotels,packing n unpacking 6 bags from time to time.fortunately po box we cd get without any hurdle n we went on applying for sin,health card,bank cards etc. with that address,we hired po box in the hotel complex we stayed in (sheraton centre) n it was very easy,cash was acceptable.i suggest newcomers to keep this as option.

after abt 1 mth of aggressive search n struggle we got condo without any frnd or relative help.we rented showing only savings,no credit history n rental history obviously,no guarantor, no employment letter n no self descriptive letter.we landed during peak renting season n we learned several things in short time because of this stressful renting process.

I suggest newcomers to understand the differences between different types of accomodation n their renting methods before coming.the key diff between condo n apartment is laundry,condos hv provision of washer n dryer within flat whereas apartments hv common laundry.condos r rented thru rental agent usually whereas apartments r rented thru building management.

Rgds,
Art

/quote]
Good Sharing.

phdmaker

Jan 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good initiated thread for purpose to serve everyone.

Commendable indeed. :)

sathi 786

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rank2010 said:
jnathan,

Dear rank
thanks for all your efforts and sypport for all of us. It is indead a great job at your end. God bless you
i will mail you my cv for help and suggestion.

sathi

khuwaja

Star Member
Mar 22, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/10/2009
Doc's Request.
12/12/2009
Nomination.....
12/02/2010
AOR Received.
13/02/2010
Med's Done....
28/08/2012
Passport Req..
PPR1 12/10/2012 & PPR2 16/11/2012
Rank2010 said:
Art,

Your experience too will help newcomers overcome initial hurdles. It is good for newcomers to take suggestion and guidance from people like us.

Rank2010

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
Hello friends,

There is a crazy character in this forum trying to threaten that he will report about me in the forum. He emailed me as follows on Nov 26

"i got your email from canada visa forum where you said you got a job and you can guide us. can you please guide me."

In order to guide him I asked him to send his resume so that I will know what type of job he needs and what guidance I could give him. His reply today was as follows

"sorry can't give you resume,, i guess you are here to get people's resume,,don't try to scam man,, if you have tips give it. don't try to scam people..i will also write about you on forum".

Though I did not have to respond to him, I replied to him to go ahead and report if he so likes. He needs help without saying what he needs. ;D

haq_bd

Star Member
Apr 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO/AUVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rank2010 said:
Hello friends,

There is a crazy character in this forum trying to threaten that he will report about me in the forum. He emailed me as follows on Nov 26

"i got your email from canada visa forum where you said you got a job and you can guide us. can you please guide me."

In order to guide him I asked him to send his resume so that I will know what type of job he needs and what guidance I could give him. His reply today was as follows

"sorry can't give you resume,, i guess you are here to get people's resume,,don't try to scam man,, if you have tips give it. don't try to scam people..i will also write about you on forum".

Though I did not have to respond to him, I replied to him to go ahead and report if he so likes. He needs help without saying what he needs. ;D
Dear Rank,
Everywhere there are some bad elements that tried to impede the honest activities. And obviously these can't succeed as almighty helps those who helps society & peoples. So, friend don't be hurted. It's very simple & go ahead.

May Allah bless you.

Mahfuz

Rank2010

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
Mahfuz,

Thanks. It did not hurt me when he wrote that. I was only wanting to bring to the notice of others of such a person.

gaizin

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Tokyo
Category........
Visa Office......
Tokyo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-9-2009
AOR Received.
04-12-2009
File Transfer...
26-03-2010
Med's Request
06-04-2010
Rank,
Ps keep it up.
I am sure you are good person with a kind heart and do not need to prove yourself in front of the evil mind.
God bless all of us !

Rank2010 said:
Mahfuz,

Thanks. It did not hurt me when he wrote that. I was only wanting to bring to the notice of others of such a person.

Rank2010

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
Friends,

I have received numerous emails requesting tips on how to make Canadian style resume. Since my company relocated me from Houston, I did not have to search for a job or prepare any resume. I have sent the following link to all those who requested via email. I am posting these here for the benefit for all others. If one googles, you will find more such sites

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4001064
http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-employment-resume.html
http://canadian-resume-service.com/catagories/resume-samples

fariza

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rank2010 said:
Friends,

I have received numerous emails requesting tips on how to make Canadian style resume. Since my company relocated me from Houston, I did not have to search for a job or prepare any resume. I have sent the following link to all those who requested via email. I am posting these here for the benefit for all others. If one googles, you will find more such sites

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4001064
http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-employment-resume.html
http://canadian-resume-service.com/catagories/resume-samples
Thanks Mate... useful links....Keep up your good works...

prospective

Aug 27, 2009
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2009
Doc's Request.
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
26-04-2010
Med's Request
Oct 24, 2012
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2013
LANDED..........
September 2013
Thank you for starting this thread. I am planning to move to Edmonton in May or June next year given my visa comes by March. I had a quite a few questions and I was in dire need of someone who could answer with experience and fortunately your post came across. I initially thought to send you an email but since my questions are general, I am posting here.

Coming from Pakistan, although a lot of excitement and nervousness, the most frightened thing for us is the weather. I nor my family ever experienced less than -1 or -2 and we now have to be prepared for -40. I noticed everybody talked about bringing warm cloths but nobody gets into the details as to what and what kind of warm cloths. What kind of fabric the warm cloths should have as I heard that only certain types of fabrics will be helpful in Edmonton? What winter clothing one should bring: jackets, hats, socks etc etc? I would rather prefer to buy what is needed and usable. I would like to get hands-on information from you.

My second most concern is the accommodation upon arrival. What would be your recommendation? We have a daughter of 8 months and by that time she will be around 14 months. One bedroom will suffice?

Keeping in mind things are much cheaper here in Pakistan, what would you recommend and advise us to bring with us as oppose to buying from there?

Thank you and God bless you!

Rank2010

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
Prospective,

First of all, you and your family have to be mentally strong when it comes to the weather and cost of living. Edmonton experiences snowfall from Oct to March. Right now it is freezing cold and it is just -14C. But life goes on here, nothing stops. You may miss social life as more than half the year your family will be inside the house at least 5 days a week with the heater on when you are at work.

As for clothing, try to get winter jackets with fur inside. Since you will be landing after the winter season is over, you may not need these on arrival. you may have to buy other winter clothes after you arrive since you may or may not get real winter clothers in city / country where the winter is mild.

To start with, a one bedroom apt would be enough for your small family to keep your initial cost of living under control. After you get a good job in your area of specialization, you can switch to 2-bedroom apt. Most apts have an initial 6 month lease.

Please do NOT bring any electrical appliances / gadgets as the voltage is different for Asia and Canada. There are lots of Indian and pakistani grocery stores and you get almost everthing that you need for your daily needs. You may bring your regular day to day clothes for the first 6 months use.

Since you will not have any credit history or rental history here in Canada, there could be a bit of difficulty in getting an apt. If you stay in touch with me, I will try to guide or show you some apt that will give to newcomers like you.

Please email me if you have any further questions. I have already postd my email address in this thread.

Good luck.