+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Attempted Suicide

Rubyred

Star Member
Apr 6, 2020
Category........
Other
It can often be harder when you’re already in Canada because Canada has the records of the services you used and the cost. Your sister also got quite lucky. If she has been unstable, unable to work, has been institutionalized due to her mental health (not sure if that is the case) and is unable to care for herself she could have been easily denied. Approvals are not consistent. I assume you argued that because multiple family members were in Canada it would be unfair to leave them in their home country and that you would be the position to provide longterm care to your sister between all the family members. Assume you likely showed that you had the extra means to support her without public funds. Your sister could require longterm care in the not to distant future, especially if your mother passed or got more frail, which usually means excessive demand on the health system. She could also try to apply for disability if she qualified which also means excessive demand. There are others will similar stories that have been denied.
Hi. She was in Canada with us for the past 3 years and we had to submit her medical records , PPC from Canada as well. They waited here on Visitor Visas. We sponsored my mom and she was her dependent. My sister is unstable, unable to work and unable to look after herself due to her mental illness - that's what makes her a dependent. In the long-term, she will require lots of help. There was no need to argue it was unfair ect. to leave her behind, having family members here or show we could support her because we used a valid pathway i.e. Parent Sponsorship. There is a provision in that pathway for dependents. Many people have overlooked this, not truly understanding the definition of dependent.

Please refrain from commenting on issues you are not familiar with. Please stop thinking of yourself as an expert of everything.

Last edited:

Hormone

Jan 11, 2023
Hi, I am going to apply for pr under CEC class. I attempted suicide due to depression 2 years ago in Canada while I was studying. I was kept in hospital for 11 days. Then I was discharged by the doctor. Since then I moved on with my life. Now I don’t have any suicidal thoughts nor the depression. Should I be worried that I will be rejected at medicals?
Don't count on it too much. I think a certain time must pass, then you will have a check. I read about assisted suicide from time to time, you can look here if you want. This is very serious if you can say the disease. Not everywhere you can then be accepted. Conclusion, you need to find out from the experts what to do next.
Anything can happen

sergedest

Dec 9, 2022
It is very unusual to spend 11 days in a psych hospital and not have any follow-up treatment/care. It is pretty likely that you will be asked for proof of your mental health status will your current physician or a psych evaluation.

Last edited: