+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ATIP Report...Post RQ

omet

May 4, 2016
Hello All,

My most recent ATIP has the following;

"QR analyse et achemine a un juge de citoyennete pour audition"

Does that mean I have to see a judge or is it just a necessary step in the decision making process for applications made before July 2015 (The old Act)?

Applied June 2013
Test: Complete by December 2013

regards,

omet

May 4, 2016
Thanks David

I know what it means but does it mean I have to see a judge? Or is there a chance that judge would make a decision without me showing up?

Regards,

simoncanada

Dec 3, 2015
omet said:
Hello All,

Does that mean I have to see a judge or is it just a necessary step in the decision making process for applications made before July 2015 (The old Act)?

Applied June 2013

regards,
have you done anything wrong

omet

May 4, 2016
Hi Simon,

I have nothing wrong. According to CIC, I am meeting the residency requirement with 1116 days. My guess was before July 2015, the decision making process did consist of 3 stages: Citizenship Officer to CJ and then back to Citizenship Officer. so I am thinking I might not need to see a judge per se.

Regards,

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
omet said:
Hello All,

Applied June 2013

regards,

Details in the ATIP response will rarely provide any information the applicant does not already know or could otherwise figure out without the ATIP response.

What that means relative to entries in GCMS like the one reported here, "QR analyse et achemine a un juge de citoyennete pour audition," is that this does not tell us much at all. However, you probably have (or upon reflection should have) a better idea whether or not you are more or less likely to be on track for a Citizenship Judge hearing.

In the past, similar entries in GCMS (such as "hearing required") appeared to be the default for all residency cases, and (so far as we could discern) all RQ'd applicants were considered residency cases unless and until a CIC Citizenship Officer assessed residency. If, after assessment, the Officer was satisfied that the applicant met the residency requirements, the applicant would no longer be a residency case. But if the Officer was not satisfied, the application would continue to be a residency case and remain in a track designated for a Citizenship Judge hearing.

There are too few forum reports to know whether the past practice continues.

If you obtained a ATIP report made after you were issued and responded to RQ, and that ATIP report did not contain this designation, and now a more recent ATIP report does, this would distinguish your reports from past practice and might tend to indicate your residency has been assessed by CIC/IRCC and the reviewing Officer was not satisfied. That would mean you are indeed headed for a CJ hearing. That would be bad news, especially since your application is not a short-fall, but based on meeting the actual physical presence test. That would mean IRCC has questions (doubts) or perhaps suspicions, and perhaps even that IRCC outright challenges the claim you were physically present in Canada for 1116 days, and thus is preparing a referral to a CJ which will identify, perhaps even highlight, what those questions, suspicions, or challenges are.

Caveat: this is not for sure.

The more important question is whether your response to RQ has been assessed by a Citizenship Officer. If it has, and you remain designated for a CJ hearing, bad sign in that indeed you probably are headed for a CJ hearing with a negative referral from IRCC (essentially arguing to the CJ why your application should be denied).

But it is possible your response to the RQ has not yet been assessed by the Citizenship Officer responsible for your application. Thus it remains possible that the Officer could still be satisfied your information establishes residency and you could be scheduled for the oath without having to have your case decided by a CJ.

While I would phrase it differently, the question posed by simoncanada is an important one: what is there about your declaration of time present in Canada that might be doubted or challenged?

Hint: if you are on track for a CJ hearing, best to figure out the answer to that question (and the answer is almost always within the applicant's control, despite protests to the contrary by many in a similar situation) and be prepared to affirmatively prove by clear and convincing evidence you were in fact present in Canada for 1116 days . . . including adequately resolving whatever doubts or challenges there are to your accounting of time in Canada.

It is not what you know, it is what you can prove. Or, to be more precise, what you do prove, and prove by clear and convincing evidence.

Note: I am confused by the relatively recent emphasis on the need for "clear and convincing evidence," as articulated now by several Federal Court justices in many official cases, since the standard of proof is beyond a balance of probabilities. But indeed several Federal Court justices have affirmed that the applicant's burden is to prove beyond a balance of probabilities with "clear and convincing evidence" the residency or presence requirements were met. This, it seems to me, imposes a higher standard (a much higher standard) of proof than what "beyond a balance of probabilities" requires, and indeed seems, to me, to be a hybrid standard of proof which really makes no sense. But I am not a Canadian lawyer, and several very recent Federal Court decisions have affirmed this, so it appears to be what applicants who go to a CJ hearing are indeed up against.

Several decisions refer to "clear and compelling" evidence. While not exactly the same thing, my sense is that "clear and convincing" evidence means largely the same things as "clear and compelling," and requiring either amounts to imposing a significantly higher standard than "beyond a balance of probabilities."

(To my view, competent evidence tending to show the truth of a proposition should suffice to meet a beyond the balance of probabilities standard of proof, as a matter of law, in the absence of any competent evidence to the contrary; but again, I am not a Canadian lawyer and recent decisions definitively state "clear and convincing" evidence is required.)

Effect of change in procedure for applications made prior to Bill C-24:

omet said:
My guess was before July 2015, the decision making process did consist of 3 stages: Citizenship Officer to CJ and then back to Citizenship Officer. so I am thinking I might not need to see a judge per se.
Fact that your application was made before Bill C-24 was adopted does not have any impact on the procedure now.

All applications made and decided prior to the effective date of Bill C-24 had to be decided by a Citizenship Judge. As of August 1, 2014, the date which important changes to the procedure for citizenship application processing took effect (not to be confused with the June 2015 date on which changes to requirements for citizenship took effect), the procedure changed for all applications. And this included all applications still in process, thus those applications made before Bill C-24 which were still in process.

While the most salient change was that CJs no longer needed to approve applications, so only certain applications would be referred to a CJ for a decision, the biggest practical change was in the decision-making role of Citizenship Officers, and especially so regarding residency cases.

What this means for an individual applicant: if a case is headed for a CJ hearing, that is BAD NEWS, since IRCC is most likely submitting a referral to the CJ which identifies, perhaps even strongly argues, reasons to deny the application. It means IRCC has, in effect, rejected the application, but to conclusively deny the application the applicant is entitled to an opportunity to persuade a CJ otherwise.

Bottom-line; what this means for your case:

You may be right, that this entry in the GCMS does not necessarily mean your case is headed for a CJ hearing. But there is, at this stage, a significant likelihood that you are indeed headed for a CJ hearing.

You almost certainly have a lot more information which will help you understand what the risks of a hearing are, and if there is a hearing what the issues probably are, that is, what problems there are with your case. Much of this can be found in your response to the RQ (or in considering what is not in your response to the RQ), the rest in your personal knowledge of your history and all the facts and circumstances of your case.

Many applicants in your situation tend to review their case from the perspective of looking at what supports their case. That will not help much. For example, if the important information in your case is the declaration of 1116 days actual presence, you would have already been scheduled for the oath.

What is more important at this stage is what flaws or doubts or suspicions a stranger bureaucrat might find in your case. Obviously IRCC has, at the least, some concern that you were not in Canada 1116 days. It is more important that you learn why there are such concerns than it is to predict what will happen next. You will not find this information in response to ATIP. Your best source of information is in your hands: what you know yourself, what is in the application you made, what was questioned at the interview, what was in your response to RQ, what your immigration history is, and so on.

Since you attended the test within six months of applying, my guess is you received RQ after the test. That ordinarily means the interviewer identified some issue regarding residency, either based on how you answered questions at the interview or what was observed in examining your Travel Documents. This tends to indicate a substantive residency issue, a particular concern based on your specific circumstances (as opposed to RQs issued based on technical criteria, as was typical in pre-test RQs).

Also note: The date of your application and the length of time it has taken suggests that CIC (and now IRCC) has indeed identified a real concern. By June 2013, the criteria for issuing RQ had been dramatically revised and far, far fewer applicants were being dragged into the residency case mire. (For timeline context: I also made my application in June 2013, mailed it at the end of June 2013, and it arrived in Sydney just about three years ago to the day now; I have been a citizen for nearly two and a half years.) Probably best for you to dig through your information, your copy of the application and memory of the test interview and your copy of the response to RQ, looking for what potential concerns or issues CIC/IRCC has identified . . . and be prepared to both prove all 1116 days presence in Canada plus resolve all those potential concerns or issues . . . just in case this does go to a hearing.

You may want to consult or even hire a lawyer to help.

omet

May 4, 2016
Hi dpenabill,

First of all; thank you for the reply. There is one point I might be doubted for; there is a few month period between my graduation and first work in the work/job history section. I was unemployed and didn't declare it.

My most recent ATIP was 2 weeks ago. So it's pretty recent. And apparently RQ was issued by a judge in 2014 (not sure if it makes any difference). What part in the ATIP states certainly that I am to see a judge? Any idea?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
omet said:
Hi dpenabill,

First of all; thank you for the reply. There is one point I might be doubted for; there is a few month period between my graduation and first work in the work/job history section. I was unemployed and didn't declare it.

My most recent ATIP was 2 weeks ago. So it's pretty recent. And apparently RQ was issued by a judge in 2014 (not sure if it makes any difference). What part in the ATIP states certainly that I am to see a judge? Any idea?
I previously noted the past practice, pursuant to which it appeared all RQs were residency cases and designated for a CJ hearing in GCMS. But most RQs did not go to a CJ hearing. Prior to August 1, 2014, many if not most RQs were ultimately referred to CJs for what was commonly called a paper review, which effectively meant a Citizenship Officer was satisfied and did not make a referral for a CJ hearing. If per chance the ATIP request was made after the Citizenship Officer made this decision and before the oath was scheduled, an applicant might indeed see that the "hearing required" designation was no longer in the GCMS. But usually the scheduling of the oath would come soon enough after the Citizenship Officer's decision that most applicants would get notice of the oath before they could do another ATIP request, let alone get the results.

After August 1, 2014, what changed is that there were no longer any paper reviews referred to CJs. If the Citizenship Officer was satisfied with the RQ response, CIC (and now IRCC) could and would simply decide to grant citizenship and would thus schedule the applicant for the oath.

For RQ'd applicants in both of those scenarios, there was (or at least that is how it appeared based on a number of ATIP reports shared in the forums) a "hearing required" designation until the Citizenship Officer made the "satisfied" decision.

Thus, basically RQ'd applicants were designated for a hearing and would not learn otherwise until, in effect, they were being scheduled for the oath . . . even though the latter is how it went for the majority.

The number of forum reports about RQ'd and residency cases, in the last year or so, has gone down. In particular, one forum where there had been a very active discussion of RQ'd cases, has become virtually non-active. There is no clear picture, at the moment, as to what the GCMS reports show.

Thus, for example, I cannot say whether this statement in your GCMS is the default, what it will show even if you were not actually headed for a CJ hearing, or it is now a designation which really does indicate the probability of a referral for a CJ hearing.

You could help illuminate this some if you requested ATIP after you submitted a response to the RQ, and you could compare that ATIP result with the most recent one. If this statement about needing a CJ hearing was not in the previous ATIP response, that might indicate this is a designation, in the more recent report, indicating that you are indeed on track for a CJ hearing.

But even that would not be conclusive. Obviously with the changes from CIC to IRCC, and other changes related to Liberal government administration compared to the previous Conservative government, any difference between what is in the ATIP responses could be due to those changes and not related to your personal case.

That is, there may be nothing in the GCMS (that part shared with an applicant in response to ATIP anyway) which will really say whether an applicant will have to go to a CJ hearing or not.

Generally ATIP is useless. It is helpful in some situations, but mostly not at all of any use for the vast majority of applicants.

At this stage, however, noting the timeline so far, the prudent course for you to take would be to be prepared to go to a Citizenship Judge hearing. You might be pleasantly surprised and get a notice to attend the oath. But it is better for you to be prepared to get, instead, a notice of a date to meet with a Citizenship Judge.

Not sure I follow your statement "apparently RQ was issued by a judge in 2014." You should know when you were issued RQ.

It is possible that the RQ was issued by a Citizenship Judge after a paper review; that was still a part of the process in 2014 (until August 1). But that seems to be something which was fairly rare. It is more likely the RQ was issued by a Citizenship Officer after reviewing your file (that is, after your interview at the test in December 2013, and thus for this early 2014 would make sense). Not sure this makes much difference. Either way, it appears to be a particularized concern that led to RQ. That is, that your RQ is due to a suspicion about your case in particular.

The reason for RQ is only partially relevant. Once RQ'd the applicant has the burden of proving all aspects of qualifications. So if there is a particular concern which triggered RQ, yes that needs to be fully addressed, but the applicant also has to affirmatively prove all the time declared to be in Canada.

Thus, you might want to be sure to have more proof of that time between graduation and starting work, to show where you were living, some evidence of activity in Canada during that time, and such, but you also need to affirmatively prove all the other dates as well.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
David_2015 said:
This is what it means :

QR analysis and carries a citizenship judge for hearing
No, that's wrong. There are missing accents - it should be "analysé et acheminé". It means "RQ analyzed and forwarded to a citizenship judge for hearing."

If all you're doing is just putting it into Google Translate, you're not really helping the OP.

omet

May 4, 2016
Dpenapill,

Thank you for the detail response.

I have compared both ATIP's and hearing required has been there since the beginning. It seems to be coming as default so there is no indication that CJ hearing is a required step. However, " RQ has been analyzed and sent to a CJ for hearing" is the confusing part. Also is it a good sign that there is no mention of FPAT?

Regards,

omet

May 4, 2016
HighFive,

I called them last week and the call center agent told me that I am in line to see a CJ. Though I'm not sure how much they know about cases and can release to a applicant. So I don't really take their word for it.

Regards,

HighFive

Mar 13, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
omet said:
HighFive,

I called them last week and the call center agent told me that I am in line to see a CJ. Though I'm not sure how much they know about cases and can release to a applicant. So I don't really take their word for it.

Regards,
omet, would you think of something else that would cause your application to be refereed to CJ? Have you made mistake(s) in your arrival/departure dates to/from Canada??
there is a lot of information in ATIPs, have you ever ordered full ATIP on DVD?? what have you learned from there ?

omet

May 4, 2016
I suspect that they doubt a 5 month period between my graduation and first job in which I was unemployed and I didn't declare it on the application form. For that period I have all the credit card statements with purchases pretty much everyday in Toronto as well cell phone bills with calls originated from Toronto.

As for my travel history I left Canada once for 3 weeks to see my family and that's about it. I have the records of itinerary, e-tickets, booking confirmation and presented them to CIC. I also obtained my entry/exit records from CBSA and it confirms that I had only one trip outside Canada.

I am a refugee and prior to the initiation of my PR status (2011) I lived 4 years in Canada. I applied in 2013 and so one year as a non-PR counts toward the residency requirement (ATIP reports 1116 days ). I'm not sure if it would trigger something suspicious???

I have ordered electronic ATIP's but never did the DVD one. How much more detailed is the DVD one from the electronic?

omet

May 4, 2016
Has anyone received a recent ATIP mentioning FPAT? I received mine 1 month ago and there is no FPAT mentioned (RQ analyzed and sent to a judge for hearing). I'm not sure whether it's a good sign or not.

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
omet said:
Has anyone received a recent ATIP mentioning FPAT? I received mine 1 month ago and there is no FPAT mentioned (RQ analyzed and sent to a judge for hearing). I'm not sure whether it's a good sign or not.
Just wondering what was your timeline for RQ? Where did you see FPAT?