+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[At the border] Proof of funds

vsenicourt

Dec 19, 2015
Hello everyone !

I can't seem to find any open topic/thread about questions regarding entry in Canada (e.g for matters and documents that are controlled at the border, upon entry, regardless of your visa).

In my case, I am about to enter Canada as a new permanent resident (skilled worker) and I wonder about what proof of funds might be accepted.

I went to my bank and asked for an official statement, which is a document that they stamped and gives the current balance of my accounts.
I wonder if this will be enough to convince custom & border agents that I do have this sum available (this document is written in French, so that shouldn't be a problem).

Indeed, CIC website seems to suggest bringing cash or a "certified check" (which is basically like the equivaolent of having cash but the amount is on the check. The corresponding sum has been taken away from your account already: this paper IS your money: don't lose it).
The problem is, these 2 options are bad because they both have you carry around (in my case) more than $10000 CAD around, which could be lost or robbed. That seems very unreasonnable and I don't want to do it.

How did that go for you? Do you think an official statement from the bank is enough?
Can you link me any ressources or other threads on this forum bringing out experiences of new immigrants at the border?

Thank you very much !

vsenicourt

Dec 19, 2015
Thank you very much, that's what I hoped to read.

That seems to reconcile with other testimonies I saw around, and such a proof had been asked already from me during the final phases to obtain my "visa": it seemed redundant.

If anyone else wants to share their experience, give tips or has questions regarding this topic, please feel free to do so !
The more the better.

vsenicourt

Dec 19, 2015
Could I have any testimony / experience from someone who was NOT nominated by a province and entered as a permanent resident anywhere except Quebec, regarding proof of funds ?

I'm a bit stressed regarding that matter still, I could use another answer or two (please bear with me).

Alternatively, if there was another topic covering this subject please do not hesitate !

Valentin