+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asylum while on transit in toronto airport

saba ali

Dec 13, 2019
hello,

I am planning to go to Cuba and while returning i will be having a connecting in Toronto Airport about 13 hours.
I will get the Transit visa and all but i have some questions. Will i be allowed to seek asylum in the airport ? if so what are the procedures and will they put me in detention in the airport until they decide what to do with my case??

thanks

saba

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Getting the transit visa will be extremely hard to get. Not sure where you are coming from but going to Cuba wouldn’t make sense if there are warm countries with beaches nearby. Your route through Canada may also make no sense which is another red flag.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
the procedures for the asylum i mean
Making asylum claim isn't the best way to stay in Canada except if you have credible reasons such as persecution for race, religion, gender , political belief and so on. It's better to explore other legal immigration pathways. Canada isn't oblige to accept all refugees despite being a signatory to the convention on refugee.

Last edited:

saba ali

Dec 13, 2019
Getting the transit visa will be extremely hard to get. Not sure where you are coming from but going to Cuba wouldn’t make sense if there are warm countries with beaches nearby. Your route through Canada may also make no sense which is another red flag.
The route is Dubai - transit in Moscow - then cuba
and the return cuba - toronto - dubai

i was checking flights and this is first one poped up its with air canada

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
The route is Dubai - transit in Moscow - then cuba
and the return cuba - toronto - dubai

i was checking flights and this is first one poped up its with air canada
Where did you check flights from? What website? Because if you choose Air Canada on purpose then of course it will give you something with a Canadian stop. A search on skyscanner suggests that A layover in a European country (Amsterdam, Paris through KLM and Air France) is the fastest and cheapest option from Dubai to Cuba and back.

Your plan does not make sense. If you are a TRUE refugee needing protection, would suggest that you go to the first safe country you can enter.

Furthermore, you are much closer to the warm Asian countries.

Reactions: saba ali

saba ali

Dec 13, 2019
Where did you check flights from? What website? Because if you choose Air Canada on purpose then of course it will give you something with a Canadian stop. A search on skyscanner suggests that A layover in a European country (Amsterdam, Paris through KLM and Air France) is the fastest and cheapest option from Dubai to Cuba and back.

Your plan does not make sense. If you are a TRUE refugee needing protection, would suggest that you go to the first safe country you can enter.

Furthermore, you are much closer to the warm Asian countries.

I checked on a website called wego.
the first one poped that was flights by air canada and there the shortest transit.

Anyways i will look into more details into it and take more information. Thank you for the help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Visa officers aren’t stupid. This screams asylum attempt. Don’t pay for the flight since you are almost 100% going to get refused a visa.

Reactions: zak86

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I checked on a website called wego.
the first one poped that was flights by air canada and there the shortest transit.

Anyways i will look into more details into it and take more information. Thank you for the help.
Yeah I just looked at Wego and it gave me the same results I got from Skyscanner plus an Aeroflot flight that has a Moscow layover - no Canadian stops and waaaaaaaay longer than the flights through Europe.

I’m no visa officer but I don’t have to be to know your flight plan has no logic.