+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

asylum question

omer35cak

May 2, 2019
I have been living in America for 4 years legally. I go to the college. Due to religious issue against me in my country I am afraid to go back to my home country and I will seek for asylum in Canada. The reason I can not apply asylum in America because there is a certain time period which is you can only apply within 1 year. Unfortunately I have a criminal record from 2 years ago which was controller substance but case was dismissed and I was not found guilty. What is my chance to be eligible for asylum in Canada ? Because I can not really go back to my country and Canada seems to only option for me to be safe.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Recommend that you research the Safe Third Country agreement before attempting to come to Canada. Note that it is in fact possible to claim asylum in the US after more than one year.

Muhammad79

Mar 29, 2019
Yeah, you can apply asalum only within 12 months but "if circumstances are changed" you can apply even after 7 years

Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would check with a Canadian immigration lawyer before assuming you have a case for asylum. There a lot of consequences of a negative asylum claim. You have been gone for 4 years which doesn’t help. You need to show how you personally were persecuted.

omer35cak

May 2, 2019
thank you for responding you all but unfortunately I did some research and I am not eligible to apply for asylum in U.S . Since I converted my religion it will be deathly dangerous for me to go back to my country I do not know what to do.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thank you for responding you all but unfortunately I did some research and I am not eligible to apply for asylum in U.S . Since I converted my religion it will be deathly dangerous for me to go back to my country I do not know what to do.
Best option would be to complete your studies in the U.S. and then transition this to a U.S. work permit. Once you have work experience, you can either try to qualify for a green card in the U.S. or try to qualify and apply for permanent residency in Canada through the skilled worker program.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I recommend that you research economic ways to immigrate like express entry since you said you are in college in the US.

As has been mentioned, you have been there for 4 years. How can you prove persecution in your home country if you have not been living there recently?

Do you have to disclose to your country that you changed your religion? I mean, is that one of the entry requirements where you are from? Because if it isn’t, again, it will work heavily against you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you completed your education in good standing?

omer35cak

May 2, 2019
I have not comlepted my education yet. I'm at 2 years college I have 2 more semester to go. Let me tell you guys more about my situation, converting a different religious in my country is a really big issue now people who live in America from my country somehow they heard as well. That's is why I want to leave here too and be somewhere that nobody knows me I hope I am being clear now

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have not comlepted my education yet. I'm at 2 years college I have 2 more semester to go. Let me tell you guys more about my situation, converting a different religious in my country is a really big issue now people who live in America from my country somehow they heard as well. That's is why I want to leave here too and be somewhere that nobody knows me I hope I am being clear now
Do you have close family members in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just realized you also have a criminal record. You really need to consult an immigr
Yes we do realize that people can be killed for declaring they are atheist or they have converted. It is also a reason that many use to try and claim asylum when they actually have no intention of conversion. You have some complicating factors. When trying to claim asylum people will look at your file and wonder why didn’t you claim asylum right away if you had converted? You got arrested, are you doing well in school, have other doors closed and is that why this person wants to claim asylum now? If your family knows you have converted why have they not cut off their financial aid? I am not saying this is the case but these are the questions that will be asked.

omer35cak

May 2, 2019
Just realized you also have a criminal record. You really need to consult an immigr

Yes we do realize that people can be killed for declaring they are atheist or they have converted. It is also a reason that many use to try and claim asylum when they actually have no intention of conversion. You have some complicating factors. When trying to claim asylum people will look at your file and wonder why didn’t you claim asylum right away if you had converted? You got arrested, are you doing well in school, have other doors closed and is that why this person wants to claim asylum now? If your family knows you have converted why have they not cut off their financial aid? I am not saying this is the case but these are the questions that will be asked.
Because I was not thinking to convert to christianity when I came to America. My friends has had influenced on me so trhough their help I did convert. Also my parents are still supporting me no matter what I believe. I am receiving life threatening from outside of my family. Why would I want to leave the America when everything is going good for me. I'm sacrificing everything over here because I am not feel safe here nor in my home country.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Because I was not thinking to convert to christianity when I came to America. My friends has had influenced on me so trhough their help I did convert. Also my parents are still supporting me no matter what I believe. I am receiving life threatening from outside of my family. Why would I want to leave the America when everything is going good for me. I'm sacrificing everything over here because I am not feel safe here nor in my home country.
Your argument doesn't make any sense. I am from US, and I knew a lot people converted one religion to another in US, and simply, they are doing fine. US is a safe country for all religions, as long as you are biding the law. If you feel unsafe, or you actually received threats from somebody in US, the correct thing to do is to report it to the local PD. Trust me, the local PD and even FBI will treat hatred crime very serious.

Reactions: visatest

omer35cak

May 2, 2019
Your argument doesn't make any sense. I am from US, and I knew a lot people converted one religion to another in US, and simply, they are doing fine. US is a safe country for all religions, as long as you are biding the law. If you feel unsafe, or you actually received threats from somebody in US, the correct thing to do is to report it to the local PD. Trust me, the local PD and even FBI will treat hatred crime very serious.
maybe their situation different than mine because they are doing fine does not mean I will do fine. We all got different cases. I might be okay for a certain time but it is not a guarantee that it will be safe for me here forever. Because there is always someone will know that I am converted to different religion. Whereas if I go to different country nobody will know about my situation. Thanks for answering