+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asylum pending for 2 years in USA and I want to reclaim asylum in Canada under family exception

Mkash

Dec 2, 2021
Hi, my story is I’m from Gaza strip and I moved to USA and I applied for asylum in 2019 and i did not have the interview yet after 2 years ,, and there’s no way to investigate about my case specially there also people here have 7+ years waiting for their interview here, my family under danger in Gaza and i can’t bring them with me..
I have my Uncles live in Canada and i heard that there is an exception for a family member to claim Asylum in Canadian border
So my question is, Can I reclaim asylum in Canada if abandoned my asylum in USA under the family member exception ? And if I can is my abandoned asylum in usa will affect my case under ( asylum shopping)??
Thank you for reading

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, my story is I’m from Gaza strip and I moved to USA and I applied for asylum in 2019 and i did not have the interview yet after 2 years ,, and there’s no way to investigate about my case specially there also people here have 7+ years waiting for their interview here, my family under danger in Gaza and i can’t bring them with me..
I have my Uncles live in Canada and i heard that there is an exception for a family member to claim Asylum in Canadian border
So my question is, Can I reclaim asylum in Canada if abandoned my asylum in USA under the family member exception ? And if I can is my abandoned asylum in usa will affect my case under ( asylum shopping)??
Thank you for reading
Yes, based on the information you have provided, I believe it's possible for you to claim asylum in Canada.

Note that processing times in Canada are quite long as well and it will be a number of years before your family members in Gaza will be able to join you in Canada (assuming your refugee claim is successful).

Mkash

Dec 2, 2021
Yes, based on the information you have provided, I believe it's possible for you to claim asylum in Canada.

Note that processing times in Canada are quite long as well and it will be a number of years before your family members in Gaza will be able to join you in Canada (assuming your refugee claim is successful).
Do I have to go to the Border, or i do have to cross illegally? Like Roxham road ?
Thank you very much for your answer:))

Sakr77

Oct 6, 2020
Thank you for reading
My advice would be to consult a lawyer before crossing the borders

Reactions: scylla

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

Hello @scylla I am little confused when i read Paragraph A101 c.1 below. I thought poster is ineligible to apply for refugee claim provided he has claimed in other country that has info sharing agreement with Canada and that claim has been confirmed, in this case by US Authority. I cant see any waiver on. STCA

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/section-101.html

Reactions: Sakr77

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello @scylla I am little confused when i read Paragraph A101 c.1 below. I thought poster is ineligible to apply for refugee claim provided he has claimed in other country that has info sharing agreement with Canada and that claim has been confirmed, in this case by US Authority. I cant see any waiver on. STCA

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/section-101.html
You may be right. I thought the exceptions to the safe third country agreement override this (i.e. if you have family in Canada then you can still claim asylum). But you may very well be right.

Reactions: Simba112