+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asylum Claim if denied Asylum in USA

Ktra8

May 21, 2019
Good afternoon,

I was wondering if it’s possible to apply for asylum in Canada if your asylum claim in the USA has been denied. I’ve heard that it’s not possible anymore but I want to make sure.

I would like to know if it’s possible in the two following scenarios:

1. claim asylum at an un-oficial border crossing with no family members.

2. claim asylum at an official or un-oficial border with Canadian citizen family members (daughter, grandsons) residing in Canada.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You can potentially arrive at the border and claim asylum, but the review would most likely render you ineligible given the US refusal.

If you make it to Canada, you'd likely be held in detention until your claim was dismissed.

Ktra8

May 21, 2019
Thank you for your answer it’s unfortunate that the USA affects the asylum Canadian process

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
An asylum claim anywhere would affect the Canadian process. If your claim to asylum is rejected in one country, it's not necessarily likely to be approved elsewhere.

Ktra8

May 21, 2019
I understand the fact that it’s unlikely for it to be approved but I didn’t know that you couldn’t even make the claim at all

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Applies to any country in the world. A previous refugee claim anywhere would result in a refusal, not just from the US. It’s assumed if your claim is rejected elsewhere, as those countries are signatories to the UN, the process is the same. A failed claim in the US would result in a failed claim in Canada. It’s a means of preventing asylum shopping.

AlinaY

Jul 21, 2020
what if you withdrawn your claim before the first interview. like within a wek and returned to your country? what are the possibilities?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
what if you withdrawn your claim before the first interview. like within a wek and returned to your country? what are the possibilities?
The whole basis of an asylum claim ia fear for your life. So if you got to Canada and applied for asylum and then withdrew your application and returned home it is tough to prove that you now fear for your life again. At this point you can't even get to Canada.

AlinaY

Jul 21, 2020
The whole basis of an asylum claim ia fear for your life. So if you got to Canada and applied for asylum and then withdrew your application and returned home it is tough to prove that you now fear for your life again. At this point you can't even get to Canada.
coming back was also a reason of fear of life of family back in country so had to return.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have a visa to another country I would consider going there. You can also check to see if your US visa has been cancelled. Getting into Canada the way you did is no longer possible.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

arvink

Jan 12, 2020
Good afternoon,

I was wondering if it’s possible to apply for asylum in Canada if your asylum claim in the USA has been denied. I’ve heard that it’s not possible anymore but I want to make sure.

I would like to know if it’s possible in the two following scenarios:

1. claim asylum at an un-oficial border crossing with no family members.

2. claim asylum at an official or un-oficial border with Canadian citizen family members (daughter, grandsons) residing in Canada.
If you have family members who are Canadian why don’t they sponsor you as a relative ?

Reactions: Jahprovideesp